Search similar:

uniqs

ChillBill
@verizon.net

ChillBill

Anon

Patched Zekos A (B)' trojan & NIS

Novice to security...

Had NIS installed when I noticed computer became super slow. Opened Task Manager. Saw multiple Svchost.exe and one was using a ton of memory. Ran scan and came up with infected 'notepad.exe'. Had NIS quarantine it. still slow PC. nothing on rescan.
But when I replaced NIS with Avast free I got 10+ popup warnings per minute saying Avast blocked dangerous sites from connecting.

Ran Malwarebytes, which usually catches everything . No luck.

Ran Emsisoft Emergency Kit and got a hit- 'Patched Zekos A (B)' trojan. But can't quarantine because Emsisoft said file is needed to run windows" system32\rpcss.dll

1) Why didn't NIS warn me like Avast did about continued attacks?
2) How do I remove Trojan without removing file?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

You might want to visit:

»Security Cleanup

and before you post read:

»Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

Good luck.

ChillBill
@verizon.net

ChillBill

Anon

Thanks.. posted it on cleanup and will start on it after New Years Day.

BUT one question - Why, with my PC still running at a snail's pace,does Avast free warn me continuously with popups about dangerous website trying to connect with my PC (22 hits every few minutes) while NIS is silent?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by ChillBill :

...with my PC still running at a snail's pace,does Avast free warn me continuously with popups about dangerous website trying to connect with my PC (22 hits every few minutes) while NIS is silent?

Uhmm... if Avast is running and warning you continuously, then NIS should not be running at all. Running two AVs simultaneously is a recipe for trouble, and generally doesn't work out well...

Beyond that, on any given day, one AV product can be better at detecting malware "X" than another AV product... no matter what "ratings" say.

ChillBill
@verizon.net

ChillBill

Anon

Thanks for the replies.

I did uninstall NIS first.
It's amazing, looking at AV Comparatives, AV Test, other reviews, user reviews.. all vary making it difficult to choose.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore

Premium Member

It's all a crapshoot. You just have to hope that whatever you run into is something that your security software has the ability to spot. None of them will protect you from all potential threats.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 edit

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

I'm with DownTheShore See Profile
You can't expect your security software to protect you 100% of time all the time without something getting through.

You have to expect that one day your AV | AS will flag you expecting user interaction.
The security landscape is this way at present and we all have to deal with it.

Good luck getting rid of your nasties as the Team here are as good as any.