Amoris692001
This thread is worthless without pics
Premium
join:2003-08-18
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Questions for renting a car

Hello, I'm trying to plan a trip.

While figuring out my budget I realized I do not know what to do about a rental car.

I've rented in the past and I was always confused. I played it safe and always got "full coverage." I really didn't know what it meant except my mother said to get it.

Now for renting a car in San Francisco it comes to like $700 a week (Budget Rental for example). Add on the insurance and it jumps.

My AMEX should cover me, if I pay a flat $25 fee, for everything.

I do not own a car.

My questions:
1) What is included in full coverage at the car rental? I think most of it is Loss Damage Waivers (between $11 and $30 a day). Is that what it means?
2) Am I covered similarly by my credit card?
3) Which should I do?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
I never opt for addt'l coverage...

If you had an ins co here - you might find they cover you w/ a rental car wherever.
You've stated you don't though...

You might have coverage through your credit card - worth checking

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
Amex may tell you they will cover you.
Your own auto insurance company may tell you they will cover you.
So may other credit cards.

Until you actually get into an accident. Then you won't hear a peep out of them; and will have to hire your own lawyer to sue them.

In my first hand experience, its a lot cheaper to take the car insurance from the rental company.

Amoris692001
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by whizkid3:

In my first hand experience, its a lot cheaper to take the car insurance from the rental company.

Follow-up: Budget Rental offers Supplemental Liability Insurance (Third party injury/property damage coverage) for $14.72 a day and Loss Damage Waiver (Protects you if car is damaged or stolen) for $27.99 a day.

It would seem that general insurance would be the Supplemental Liability Insurance. Is that correct?

Or did you mean to select both types of coverage offered?

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to Amoris692001
Before I had my own personal vehicle with my own insurance I used to purchase the rental insurance that the rental company offered.

FWIW Enterprise is self-insured so they pay for their damaged vehicle's in the event of an accident as long as you purchased their insurance.

Now that I have my own vehicle and insurance I decline and in the event of an accident my insurance company will cover me.

From what I understand my insurance policy binds me to any vehicle I drive.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
Queens, NY
said by MEDIAN2k3:

Now that I have my own vehicle and insurance I decline and in the event of an accident my insurance company will cover me.

You hope. I have found out that they prefer not to.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by whizkid3:

said by MEDIAN2k3:

You hope. I have found out that they prefer not to.

While YMMV my policy declarations explicitly states that any vehicle I drive either rental or otherwise if I am involved in an accident they will cover any damages depending on the situation obviously as their is always the other person's insurance to go thru.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
Queens, NY
So did mine - from a seemingly very reputable company that I won't name.
You will only find out if its really true after you have an accident.
In my case, I had to hire a lawyer to sue my insurance company.

Amoris692001
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Amoris692001
Thanks everyone.

I think I will go with Priceline, purchase their $9 a day collision coverage to the car. Also I will opt in to my credit card coverage.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Amoris692001
I will tell you my father uses Amex and the $25 fee when he is in town. On his way home on the highway he hit a deer and took out half of the front end of the car. Amex was a breeze to deal with he said and they covered the accident.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Amoris692001
My mother wrecked a rental in Europe a few years back and Amex covered everything. Only cost to her was a $20 bribe to the police officer to not write her any tickets.

Not all Amex cards are created the same. I have a couple and I think I have to pay extra if I want rental coverage. Still is a better deal than what is offered by the rental agencies.