spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zrob_12
join:2009-01-17

zrob_12

Keeping ice off antennas

In relation to this post - »Towercicle
We are trying to determine a way to keep ice from forming on antennas at tower sites and customer premises. Has anyone been successful in preventing ice build-up on antennas?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful

Premium Member

You could apply good quality hydrophobic spray in the fall. There have been a few threads on them in this forum and also in the home improvement forum. Beware of hype and check chemical composition/source for any brand.

I am testing PTFE film (used for solar panels) as a longer term solution for both off-the-shelf antennas and plastic radomes.

For new Yagi and grid designs, the best solution so far is a Teflon-based permanent coating. But they will double the cost.

»www.rollersandcoatings.c ··· teel.pdf
zrob_12
join:2009-01-17

zrob_12

Have you used any yagis or grids with the Teflon-based coating? If yes, how effective was it? Do you know where the antennas can be purchased or who can apply the coating?
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to zrob_12

to zrob_12
Some folks are using neverwet.
»www.neverwet.com/
»www.rustoleum.com/produc ··· wet-kit/

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Be a pain to have to reapply coatings.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to zrob_12

to zrob_12
said by zrob_12:

Have you used any yagis or grids with the Teflon-based coating?

After the fact Teflon based solutions are at best Band-Aids, if one wanted to apply a Teflon based solution it would require the coating to be applied during manufacture and would also require a yagi boom design that would inherently not provide a surface for moisture to collect upon. Think round.

Going a step further maybe DC over coax for in boom heaters.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to zrob_12

Premium Member

to zrob_12
said by zrob_12:

Have you used any yagis or grids with the Teflon-based coating? If yes, how effective was it?

Yes. A few coated antennas are deployed in climate monitoring projects. They were pre-tested in a cold chamber.

I am not aware of any commercial products but the link I provided earlier is among the very few companies who could do the job in USA/Canada.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to zrob_12

to zrob_12

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8OR6W6WE

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

nice I need that stuff for my car windshield
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila

said by Anonymous_:

nice I need that stuff for my car windshield

Except this stuff dries as a white frosted haze Unfortunately, AKAIK none of these dry clear.