spc
uniqs

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Routine Maintenance: Dealership vs DIY: TSBs and Recalls

$36 out the door for those services with you providing the fluids and filter is very, very reasonable. I assume there are other repairs that they have done for you in the past that encourages them to keep you as a customer that way. They know if they treat you right you will be back for other things. That's the way a good business is *supposed* to operate. It isn't always the case.

I really don't think I could justify for my own case to start doing it myself when I could get it done at a shop for that price. My time has value, and that needs to be factored in as well.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Makes sense to me. I honestly didn't realize how high labor costs are elsewhere comparative to what I typically pay. I thought that was just the current going rate!

And you are right, I have thrown more business at the Ford dealer (but not so much the Chrysler dealer as of yet). I had over $500 of maintenance work recently done on it, and again, I provided my own fluid and filters, and they just charged the labor (I did buy spark plugs there though!). I can't say either dealer has ever tried to hard upsell me either. The only thing they ever did without my explicit consent is replace a license plate bulb (cause it was so cheap, they figured it wasn't even worth asking).

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

$36 out the door for those services with you providing the fluids and filter is very, very reasonable. I assume there are other repairs that they have done for you in the past that encourages them to keep you as a customer that way. They know if they treat you right you will be back for other things. That's the way a good business is *supposed* to operate. It isn't always the case.

How true that is. I've had bad dealer experiences and good ones. They make all the difference.

I once had a dealer tell me that a failed catalytic converter isn't covered under the emissions warranty. When I explained that the vehicle was covered under the California emissions warranty, he argued with me. I had to drag him out to the car and show him the sticker under the hood that says "Vehicle built to meet California emission standards." before they finally covered it.

My current dealership has been nothing but EXCELLENT to me. They have gone way above and beyond for me taking care of services at no charge when they didn't have to in the name of customer satisfaction. Awesome service and people, and as such, they have my complete loyalty.

I actually felt guilty when I bought my new vehicle since I had to go somewhere else (they are a Buick/GMC dealer, but I bought a Cadillac.) I have to bring it to the Cadillac dealer for the 4-year included maintenance, but after that, back to the Buick/GMC dealer it shall go.
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3

If you bring in your own oil and if the oil is synthetic are you sure they put it in your car? did they put the bulk oil in and kept your synthetic?
can't tell the difference looking at the dip stick, can you?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I am still surprised that places or dealers allow them to bring their own items for the shop to use.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to hosedagain3

MVM

to hosedagain3
said by hosedagain3:

If you bring in your own oil and if the oil is synthetic are you sure they put it in your car? did they put the bulk oil in and kept your synthetic?
can't tell the difference looking at the dip stick, can you?

When you buy a burger at McDonalds, you can't be sure it isn't horse meat by looking at the patty, can you?

At some point there must be an element of trust. If one is this worried, they ought to do the work themselves.