spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steve Marks

@sbcglobal.net

[Modem] Upgrade ATT 7550 firmware using Frontier?

Hi, I just noticed that Frontier issued a firmware for its branded version of the Netgear 7550 gateway that I have -- I have the ATT branded version.

Does anyone know if I can download that firmware upgrade and use it? It seems to solve a wifi connection issue I've been having for a long time with this router. Or does anyone know if ATT plans on issuing a similar firmware upgrade?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
What is the current version of the att software?
I doubt that the att software will allow the frontier software to load.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Steve Marks
Not likely. I wouldn't expect the Frontier software to have the AT&T require dot1x supplicant that authenticates you to the network. Loading that firmware may, in fact, delete (overwrite) the certificate chain. (something that cannot be restored by an end user.)

If you have links to both firmware images, I'd like to see just how different they are.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
The netgear 7550 is a pppoe modem

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period.

I'll say it again, loading a Frontier firmware on an AT&T unit may permanently remove it from the Uverse network. (if it's like the moto boxes, the firmware will be confused by having the wrong "sku" -- vendor model. Firmware doesn't touch the manufacturing section of flash, 'tho it may look in different places.)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by cramer:

Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period

I agree uverse uses a different method for authentication.
The netgear 7550 is not a uverse modem.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period

I agree uverse uses a different method for authentication.
att still uses pppoe with its legacy dsl accounts
The netgear 7550 is not a uverse modem.

tel601

join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS
reply to Steve Marks
cramer this is ATM adsl board. It is for the original ADSL which is PPPOE based. IPDSL and VDSL uverse uses the dot1x certificate and should not be changed to another firmware (post concerning these should be made in the uverse board). As long as the frontier firmware is for a pppoe setup it will probably work, if the modem will take the update. You might have to change the VPI and VCI settings.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to wayjac
The moto 2210 is a "dsl" modem too, but AT&T made the "-1ATT" firmware that made it PTM capable. They could've done the same thing to the 7500, not that it matters...

There is the possibility the Frontier setup will not work on the AT&T network due to a different ATM PVC setup -- I've not seen a Frontier screen showing the VPI/VCI. I know Verizon and AT&T use different (incompat) PVC's. The full model number indicates what provider it belongs to, so, as others have said, it may not accept the firmware, and if you do mange it, it could confuse it to the point it's not usable.

Bottom line: don't try it unless you're willing to throw it away should it not work.

tel601

Picayune, MS
reply to Steve Marks
can you post link to the firmware, I will try to check it and find out what is in it.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

The moto 2210 is a "dsl" modem too

When discussing att modems the full model number should be used
said by cramer:

but AT&T made the "-1ATT" firmware that made it PTM capable. They could've done the same thing to the 7500, not that it matters...

When AT&T made the 2210-02- compatible with uverse they changed the "firmware" and changed the color of the plastic case

said by cramer:

There is the possibility the Frontier setup will not work on the AT&T network due to a different ATM PVC setup -- I've not seen a Frontier screen showing the VPI/VCI. I know Verizon and AT&T use different (incompat) PVC's

Frontier uses the same vpi/vci that the 13 state att regions use 0/35

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to tel601
said by tel601:

can you post link to the firmware, I will try to check it and find out what is in it.

There is a link in the Frontier faq
The Frontier firmware is a modified version of the westell software/firmware.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to wayjac
Eventually, yes, they changed the case, but originally, it was the exact same hardware. (I have a burned up one around here somewhere. Model: 2210-02-1ATT You could even load the non-uverse fw on it, but you'd never be able to get it back to the "-1ATT" model.)

My DSL line is using 8/35, but it is about a decade old. (and I'm running PPPoA on it. that doesn't work everywhere.)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by cramer:

My DSL line is using 8/35, but it is about a decade old

When att acquired bellsouth they didn't change the vpi/vci
said by cramer:

(and I'm running PPPoA on it. that doesn't work everywhere.)

When att acquired bellsouth they didn't eliminate the ability to use pppoa

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
In some places they did, but since they have Uverse now, the legacy DSL equipment is left to rot. (read: no upgrades, or changes. and no new attachments, apparently.)

stevemarks3

join:2010-10-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to tel601
Here you go... the link is posted in this thread: »[DSL] Netgear 7550 Wireless issues Firmware update V.06.05.02

tel601

Picayune, MS
reply to Steve Marks
Many of the modems actually do a search through a list of vpi and vci settings till that hit the correct one.

tel601

Picayune, MS

2 edits
reply to Steve Marks
Tried to update the firmware twice. First time the just stayed on the screen for entering the filename for the update and then rebooted to the login entry screen. The second time I got the correct firmware update screen stating that the modem would be unresponsive for about 180seconds, but once the modem rebooted it was still on the VER:06.04.12 firmware.

I did find mention of a 06.04.20 firmware release but have not been able to find a copy of it.

Is this something that started with the .12 firmware relase? I did find a .04 version for the modem.

tel601

Picayune, MS

1 edit
reply to Steve Marks
This post from another forum contains a link to download the latest "FRONTIER" firmware:

»forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77514

Dolfan

join:2010-12-03
reply to Steve Marks
I have ATT dsl with a Frontier 7550 and upgraded the firmware. It works just fine. It has nothing to do with ATT. You are only downloading into the modem. Version 06.05.02 from 06.03.02.