how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

linedpaper

@sbcglobal.net

Cisco 871 speed limitations

Hello,

I'm trying to pick up a cheap router for home use and for ccna study purposes. I'm looking at an 871 as I can pick one up very cheap on ebay, again EOL and used is fine as it's just for home use. With maxing out the memory on an 871 I can get it up to ios 15.1 I think. My concern is from what I've been reading the WAN throughput maxes out around 12.8mbps. My home internet connection is 45/5. Is the 12.8 accurate for the 871? This is just for home, so there will be a very small number of devices connecting through it. I was planning on using it with a zone based firewall config and hopefully setting up anyconnect as well, however anyconnect won't really be used much if ever, it's more just for learning sake. I wanted a fanless as well, that's why I was looking at the 800 series, but didn't want to shell out for the 881 or 890 for home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RyanG1
Premium
join:2002-02-10
San Antonio, TX
kudos:1

the 871 will choke on a 45mbps connection. I had an 1841 using nat, ZBFW, QoS, and a few routing protocols and at 30mbps it was 99% cpu.

If you want to learn id say thats fine but if you want to use it for your home gateway as well.... well you wont be impressed.

Ryan
--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to linedpaper

Feel free to check this out

»www.cisco.com/web/partners/downl···ance.pdf

Note that the given numbers are assuming basic functionality. Once you add stuff like firewall, QoS, and routing protocols; the numbers will go down.

I advise to pick PIX 515E firewall Unlimited license as Internet gateway and have the 871 router as just lab router. A PIX 515E firewall should be fine on full DS-3 speed as we had this in one of my previous employment. This way you learn both R/S and security with cheap solution

linedpaper

@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for the advice. I can't do much in terms or routing on an ASA5505, an I? I might have access to a retired one of those as well. I do have access to a 2811 that could handle my bandwidth requirements, but that's a tad big for my house.

linedpaper

@sbcglobal.net

I add to this, I do have an old 1721 sitting around too that I could just use for lab purposes.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to linedpaper

PIX 515E or ASA 5505 can do fine on CCNA routing practice since it supports RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF. In addition, both of these firewall models are quiet; no fan noise at all

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to linedpaper

said by linedpaper :

I add to this, I do have an old 1721 sitting around too that I could just use for lab purposes.

You can then have the following network design to learn more of firewall behavior of multiple security zones :)

Outside Inside
Internet ---------- PIX firewall -------- Home switch (3560?)
| |
| DMZ 1 |
| | DMZ 2
1721 router |
871 router

linedpaper

join:2013-12-26
reply to aryoba

Would either the 515 or 5505 be sufficient for home router/fw/gw at my internet speeds? I'm thinking the 5505 would be preference due to the small size and all.

aryoba
Premium,MVM

As I mentioned in earlier post, PIX 515E should do fine on full DS-3 speed (45 Mbps dedicated symmetric) doing routing, firewall, and IPSec VPN. An ASA 5505 however may be well suited

linedpaper

Got it, thanks. Sounds like you would suggest the PIX 515 over the 5505 though? Sorry, I think which one is best was more what I was trying to understand.

aryoba
Premium,MVM

If this is your first time working on stateful firewall, then PIX 515E (not 515) should be a better starting point than ASA 5505. When you start working on newer OS version (an 8.4 or newer) to practice new features, commands, or behaviors; then ASA 5505 will be required since PIX 515E can only support up to 8.04 OS version.

linedpaper

Perfect, thank you very much for the info. I'll check on the 515E on ebay to see what I can find. I might be able to pick up the 5505 for free so if that works out I may go directly with that route just due to the cost. Thanks again!

aryoba
Premium,MVM

Should you decide to pick PIX 515E, make sure that it is the Unlimited license and run 8.x OS version in order to get the best value

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to linedpaper

said by linedpaper :

I can get it up to ios 15.1 I think.

Last IOS I can see for 871 is 15.1.4M7 / Sep 20 2013. I'll add the "if you want this version you'll have to get
Smartnet to LEGITIMATELY download this software from Cisco" caveat here.

said by linedpaper :

My concern is from what I've been reading the WAN throughput maxes out around 12.8mbps. My home internet connection is 45/5. Is the 12.8 accurate for the 871?

See the guide posted by aryoba See Profile , the numbers on that datasheet are by and large are fairly accurate for BARE
METAL performance.

said by linedpaper :

it's more just for learning sake. I wanted a fanless as well, that's why I was looking at the 800 series, but didn't want to shell out for the 881 or 890 for home.

said by linedpaper :

87x and 17xx -- good for the lab, but fuggetabut it for any high performance stuff, end of discussion. Do
not pursue any further.

You could look into the PIX / ASA, the problems as pointed out is as follows :

- PIX non-E and E models are long EOL, and PIX -E models only does up to 8.0.4... ASA is now up to the 9.x train.
- PIX / ASA OS != IOS... so what's your end goal here that you want to learn, OP?
- beware the PIX / ASA "everything as a licence" headgame -- it's NOT a fun game to play

said by linedpaper:

Would either the 515 or 5505 be sufficient for home router/fw/gw at my internet speeds? I'm thinking the 5505 would be preference due to the small size and all.

Yes. 5505 can handle those speeds and has no fan -- hell, the power brick makes more noise than the guts of the thing.

For your speeds, I'd also recommend looking into an 180x and 181x series -- they can be had for quite cheap these
days on ebay, and I've one on a 50/3 connection that doesn't break a sweat under full load.

If you want visual proof of what the 180x / 181x, and the ASA5505 can do, may I suggest reading over this item in the FAQ ?

Just another caveat about a combo lab / home gateway device, keep in mind you can and will be disruptively interrupting
your connection with erase starts / reloads / etc. YMMV, OP.

Regards

linedpaper

Thanks for all the additional info. CCNA is my first goal, so IOS. I understand I'll be bringing up/down my connection with using the router like that at home for studying, but it's the best way for me to learn. I started looking at an 1811, but per the pdf that's about 35mbs, I'm still losing 10mbps there. In that series it looks like an 1861 is my option per the pdf at least.

linedpaper

One more thing to add that I don't think I mentioned before is I have access to a free 2811. I was just trying to avoid it due to size and noise, but it'll do the speeds I want from my understanding.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to linedpaper

Personally, I think Cisco may have understated the full power of the 180x and 181x when they did up those datasheets.
Definitely take a look at the FAQ item I provided... and I'm more than happy to supply my thruput graphs from my own 1811 if
you're not entirely convinced.

1861's'll allow you to do an ISR + CUCM + POTS / VOIP without purchasing a 2xxx series router... I've got one myself but
I haven't had a chance to play with it much.

IIRC, 2811's have the same CPU as a 1841 / 2801, just clocked higher and support NM and PVDM modules -- throughput-wise,
they'll probably be just borderline...

Let us know how your search goes, OP

Regards

linedpaper

I looked through your testing the 1811, I think I'm going to start with a 2811 just to play with as I can get one for free, and keep an eye out for a deal on an 1811 so I can save on the space and noise a bit. I'd really like to find a deal on an 881 or 891 as I like the idea of fanless with performance, but everything I am finding at the moment is still a bit out of my price range.

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

FWIW, 1841's aren't all that noisy at all, even with fans. My 2901 is comfortably louder than my 4 x 1841's combined!
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to linedpaper

Just out of curiousity, where would you be putting said Cisco router? Are you in an apartment / condo or a house?
I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of equipment closet or seperate room you couldn't put this stuff... just
so you could sleep at night.

Have fun with the 2811! Just make sure you get a signed chit so no one comes back to you for equipment theft...

My 00000010bits

Regards