untfan
join:2001-09-05
San Jose, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

untfan

[Signals] 4 Upstream Channels

Click for full size
I just returned from Christmas @ the inlaws and logged into the SB6141 and was surprised to see 4 bonded upstream channels. I'm located in San Jose, CA and am pretty sure this wasn't the case when we left on Christmas Eve. Is anyone seeing the same - all channels are 64QAM. See attached screenshot.

Anyone know when they turned it on in San Jose? Not that it matters, but I'm on the Performance tier.

Edited to add topic group category. Sunny See Profile

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Re: 4 Upstream Channels

Impressive! Seems they're implementing this 1st on the West Coast.

Meanwhile here in the Philly burbs, we're still on 3 with a QAM16 channel.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

1 recommendation

Darknessfall to untfan

Premium Member

to untfan
Shiny .

We have 3 QAM64s here.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to untfan

MVM

to untfan
Click for full size
Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA Upstream Channels March 2012
Very nice!

This is similar to the arrangement that was shown for the Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA system back in March 2012: »Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA

Comparing the two, the upper two channels for the San Jose system are shifted 0.5 MHz lower. Also, for the lowest channel at 18.9 MHz, while it shows as 64QAM, its Symbol Rate is half of that for the others, similar to a typical 16QAM one. This may have been done to deal with the higher level of noise in that sub-20MHz area in which it is located.
DanM64
join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL

DanM64 to untfan

to untfan
Nice! In Chicagoland I'm still on 3 as well, and only 2 are 64 QAM, the 3rd channel is still 16 QAM. Time to update and kick those outdatded D1.1s off the system!
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy to untfan

to untfan
Impressive - we still show only 2 on 360 and 294 and both are 64QAM. I guess it takes a while to clean the lines up enough to use the extra low frequencies.