Search similar:

uniqs

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

1 edit

machpost

[Speed] Faster upload coming? Washington, DC Market

I was told by the technician who installed my replacement DOCSIS3 modem that 25mbps download speeds would also be doubling sometime in the future. Is this true?

Mod note: [SPLIT] to it's own topice/Market

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski

Premium Member

I have heard rumbles about the upload speed but nothing formally about the download speed. RCN is currently offering 25mbps for the same price as 25mbps, so it may just be time. Heres to hoping that my current, legacy 50mbps service gets bumped.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost

Guess this isn't happening in January
machpost

machpost

Can anybody provide any insight on whether or not this is happening? RCN customer support knows absolutely nothing about it.

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski

Premium Member

I do not believe there is anything finalized yet. They are still testing the new 110 tier with new customers only. Although, I am sure that major hardware upgrade that caused some service issues may have something to do with future speed upgrades.

Anyways, sorry I don't have any more solid information, just speculation.
NW_DC
join:2007-10-17
Washington, DC

2 edits

NW_DC to machpost

to machpost
Two weeks ago (late January-ish) upgraded to Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem and upped speeds to 50/6 mbps. Was not an "upgrade" with 3.0, had to pay more (don't recall, replying from work.) Yeah, the double in d/l speed and triple in u/l is nice.

Got a note in December that RCN was retiring DOCSIS 1.0 and that I had to upgrade my many-years-old LinkSys CM10 modem. Asked if they could mail me the modem. Reply was, "sure, no problem." Found modem on porch the next day with install instructions rubber-banded on the box....appeared to have been dropped off by RCN (IE; not mailed, shipped, etc....)

Arris modem is reporting DOCSIS 2.0. Maybe it'll go to 3.0 when 110 mbps is deployed?

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost

I noticed this morning that my upload speed appears to have been doubled. I saw 25.27Mbps down and 5.02Mbps up on a speed test. Upstream Limit is now set to 4400000 Kilobytes.

artjohn
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Chevy Chase, MD

artjohn

Premium Member

well, no change here in the rock creek forest section of chevy chase maryland; 112 down, 18 up (measured from Speedtest.net). The RCN speed app seems to have some issues with upload speeds. But reviewing the Arris modem setup, I can see that we have 8 bonded channels down, but only one up, not bonded. Seems that RCN could bond four channels up and thereby nearly quadruple the upload speed on DOCSIS 3 modems. Maybe that is in the future; this paper suggests RCN theoretically could offer 320 down and 120 up with its current system and the Arris modems it supplies, bonding 8 channels down and 4 up.

»www.arrisi.com/dig_lib/w ··· oise.pdf

mrmrblue
@rcn.com

mrmrblue to machpost

Anon

to machpost
Just noticed faster upload speed in Silver Spring, MD. Was on 50/6 plan which was provisioned as 53/6.3. Now speedtest site says provisioned for 53/11
NW_DC
join:2007-10-17
Washington, DC

NW_DC

Just checked and same here in upper NW DC: 53/11