Buceyes

Anon

WOW Fiber cable cut in downtown Columbus - Outage

»www.nbc4i.com/story/2431 ··· -service
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count

Hope it didn't reach north columbus. if it did I hope they can splice that cable up fast.
bushman311
join:2008-02-14
Lancaster, OH

bushman311 to Buceyes

to Buceyes
Doesn't seem to have affected Pickerington luckily.

LimeHat
@spcsdns.net

LimeHat to Buceyes

Anon

to Buceyes
Thanks for posting.
Definitely affecting me, West side of columbus north of 70.

Guess I'll find out how long it takes to replace fiber.

Hooligan
@mycingular.net

Hooligan

Anon

First and only day off in the week and I am cut off grove city here hating construction equipment right now

SRB
@comcast.net

SRB to Buceyes

Anon

to Buceyes
My daughter lives in South Columbus, service out since early today, saying another 12 hours....bad news
poidog
join:2013-12-27
Grove City, OH

poidog to Buceyes

to Buceyes
you'd think they'd be posting updates by the hour SOMEWHERE!
garfield
join:2011-03-12
Columbus, GA

garfield to Buceyes

to Buceyes
To OP... there is more than one Columbus in the US (here in Georgia for one) Maybe mention the state in the subject next time?

roadkingjm
@rr.com

roadkingjm to Buceyes

Anon

to Buceyes
Let me assure everyone that the WOW! techs are working very diligently to restore your services. Please bear with us and your services will be up and running as soon as it possibly can.

SRB
@comcast.net

SRB

Anon

How bad was the fiber cut? Who caused it...This is ridiculous.. We need more info.. My daughter has a toddler and and elderly person in the house....when when when when in Columbus ohio
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

Are you equating the WOW outage with, say, total lack of heat in a brutal winter?

What life-threatening effect does a WOW outage have on a toddler and an elderly person?

The_Revenant
@limited.com

The_Revenant

Anon

said by adam1991:

What life-threatening effect does a WOW outage have on a toddler and an elderly person?

VOIP phones. So if the fiber is cut, they have no phones to call emergency services if the toddler or elderly person falls ill or gets hurt. Not everyone has cell phones.
TebTeb
join:2009-01-28
Reynoldsburg, OH

TebTeb to Buceyes

to Buceyes
My service is back up in Hilliard. Getting the normal speeds.

srb287
@comcast.net

srb287 to The_Revenant

Anon

to The_Revenant
Thanks...for the response..
srb287

srb287 to TebTeb

Anon

to TebTeb
Glad to hear that..
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to SRB

to SRB
said by SRB :

How bad was the fiber cut? Who caused it...This is ridiculous.. We need more info.. My daughter has a toddler and and elderly person in the house....when when when when in Columbus ohio

A Contractor working in an area cut the underground fiber cable near Downtown Columbus according to one of the local news channels - I am guessing based on location "near" downtown it affected folks south ish of Columbus (since pretty much the cable network is one big interconnected grid spread out) seems like based on reports here it affected people south of I70.

I have a friend in New Albany with WOW and they didn't have services go out. If I am not mistaken there are two distro points for WOW in Columbus -- their main 'ingestion' head end that receives the satellite video signals and converts them to cable tv channels is on the west side of Columbus and I think they have some form of "cable facility"" on Indianola Ave in Northern Columbus besides their 'field office' for techs near Westerville.

Based on the amount of folks reporting it here -- I am guessing it was a major fiber distribution trunk for wow and not a neighborhood feeder. [and the thing is with Fiber -- it takes awhile to repair -- you just don't spice two pieces of cable together and duct tape it] .. fiber has to be fused back together with a special high end machine and they have to bring the 'cable' into the back of a special fiber spicing truck because if any water, dust etc gets into the fiber pair it will compromise the signal -- depending on how many 'fiber pairs' that must be put back together it can take awhile.

[oh and I am sure whomever cut the cable is crapping their pants because fiber repairs are not cheap]