Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

Apple asks judge to ban Samsung devices...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

4 recommendations

Jesus, when does it end... Apple, step up already and stop this silliness... you got a huge judgement against Samsung... Stop the petty shit.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
reply to chadrob30
Apple has gone away from the "Be great through competition" motto and instead through the "If you can't beat them, sue them" motto.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to chadrob30

Jesus, when does it end... Apple, step up already and stop this silliness... you got a huge judgement against Samsung... Stop the petty shit.

Apple has gone away from the "Be great through competition" motto and instead through the "If you can't beat them, sue them" motto.

Try this on for size...a hacker gains access to your personal information and starts opening lines of credit and destroying your credit rating. Would you allow that to continue or would you want to, not only stop them, but see them in prison--paying for what they did to you? Or would you rather "stop the petty shit" and just let them go scot free?

Samsung is no saint, nor are they the victim here--not by a long f***ing shot. They blatantly copied Apple's IP to such a point that it was laughable. When it was decided by a court that Apple had in some way infringed upon Samsung's IP, they came down like a hammer and asked the court to prevent shipments of Apple's products.

This action that Apple is taking is not only within their legal rights, it's a moral imperative to show Samsung that they have to have at least some shred of a corporate conscience going forward.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
How is Samsung a 'hacker'? How have they 'damaged' Apple?

Was the iPhone the first "Candy bar" phone? No.
Was it the first touch screen phone? No.
Was it the first smartphone? No.

What Apple did (since they never created cell phone before 2007) was create a popular smartphone with a touchscreen and no physical keyboard.

Would we find it acceptable if Ford asked that all cars, other than Fords, be banned, since they were the first to create car on an assembly line? No.
Would you be okay if IBM decided that computers can only be made by IBM? No.
Should RIO (or Saehan - but we'll say RIO) have Apple banned from selling iPods? RIO invented MP3 players, not Apple. Perhaps they should sue for billions for that, since Apple copied that.
Perhaps Microsoft should be suing Apple for the iPad, since the iPad was not the first tablet.

I love my Apple products, but they're being ridiculous. They're creative, they have good marketing, and the improve things, but they don't invent anything 'new'. They look at things from a customer point of view, rather than basic business POV.

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
reply to chadrob30
"The US firm is seeking a ban on Samsung's smartphone models Captivate, Continuum, Droid Charge, Epic 4G, Exhibit 4G, Fascinate, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy S, Galaxy S 4G, Gem, Indulge, Infuse, Mesmerize, Nexus S 4G, Replenish, Vibrant,Transform and three versions of the Galaxy S II."

Do people by any of those phones anymore? Samsung can continue with their current offerings and get back to business as usual. Release a new "affordable" phone to take the place of the banned phones.

As far as intellectual property infringement *cough* ios7 *cough*

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
reply to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

How have they 'damaged' Apple?

Because, you know, if it wasn't for samsung people would have bought an iphone. Nevermind all that Android business.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Samsung is no saint, nor are they the victim here--not by a long f***ing shot. They blatantly copied Apple's IP to such a point that it was laughable.

Oooohh. Copying a rectangular block with rounded edges is a capital offense now?
Maybe Apple owes every carpenter who ever lived a royalty for copying what every carpenter does with a piece of sandpaper to the sharp edges of a wooden block.
That's pretty much the heart of Apple's complaint against Samsung.

Reminds me of the time when Steve Jobs went apeshit on Microsoft for coming out with Windows... copying the Mac gui as Jobs expressed it.
Bill Gates pulled Jobs aside and reminded Jobs that Microsoft only stole from Apple what Apple stole from Xerox PARC, and that Jobs better rethink his rhetoric & actions lest Apple come up on the short end of a Xerox anal probe.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to chadrob30
Here we go again. Brings to mind a certian song

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

How is Samsung a 'hacker'? How have they 'damaged' Apple?

Was the iPhone the first "Candy bar" phone? No.
Was it the first touch screen phone? No.
Was it the first smartphone? No.

What Apple did (since they never created cell phone before 2007) was create a popular smartphone with a touchscreen and no physical keyboard.

Would we find it acceptable if Ford asked that all cars, other than Fords, be banned, since they were the first to create car on an assembly line? No.
Would you be okay if IBM decided that computers can only be made by IBM? No.
Should RIO (or Saehan - but we'll say RIO) have Apple banned from selling iPods? RIO invented MP3 players, not Apple. Perhaps they should sue for billions for that, since Apple copied that.
Perhaps Microsoft should be suing Apple for the iPad, since the iPad was not the first tablet.

I love my Apple products, but they're being ridiculous. They're creative, they have good marketing, and the improve things, but they don't invent anything 'new'. They look at things from a customer point of view, rather than basic business POV.

I am pretty sure if Apple were a car company they would sue everybody for putting the gas pedal on the right claiming its an "innovation"
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Well...I bet it would be Teh%u2122 Speediest. Whatever the case, they'd perfect something that would impress the masses. Then they'd turn around and sue companies that did the same thing, even if some company already did it 20 years previously.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
reply to AppleGuy
Was the apple 1st "Candy Bar" PC??? and Microsoft copied the world of it???? Innovation is one thing, patent trolling is another.

With this news there's no difference between a Patent troll and Apple, period.

attuser

@rr.com
reply to chadrob30
It won't happen.

Android runs 80% of the smartphone market.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit
reply to chadrob30
Another issue I have with this whole thing is companies like Apple were born of copying someone else. The whole tech industry exists because of copying and trying to do better than the other guy.

Software patents and look and feel patents need to be abolished and that would get rid of lots of these problems.

Who cares if Samsung makes a device with a similar casing to Apple why the heck does it matter? We do not see Boeing suing Airbus because the shape of airliners is similar.

Also I think product bans need to only be done if the requesting company can prove that the ban will benefit the customer, I think customer benefit should always be the #1 priority in these decisions not look and feel patent benefit.