Search similar:

uniqs
BrettD
Premium Member
join:2009-12-26
Ottawa, ON

BrettD

Premium Member

What personally identified data, if any, does TSI store in the US?

What data associated with me or my account, or about any of your customers, does TekSavvy store in the U.S., if any?

I would like to know that all info TekSavvy collects about me or my internet usage or that I submit, it NOT EVER stored in the US, but always here in Canada and that TekSavvy is committed to that in the future. I would like to be assured that my private data is protected by Canadian privacy legislation such as PIPEDA, and by legal and political actions which I have full access to as a citizen if my personal and private information is every accessed by or released to a third party improperly.

I would like to know that it is a harder and politically and legally risky for DHS, CIA, NSA etc. to access my and other Canadians' personal info because that info resides on a server here in Canada, with proper, limited data access and physical security.

(And to the rest of you about to be dismissive about my concerns - I KNOW that CSIS and police forces have improperly shared or allowed access to Canadians' personal data to yanks, and that Internet data may cross the border and be intercepted. But I and you DO have access to legal and political recourse if the yanks spy here, or our own spies or police assist them, where I have _no_ protection if my personal info is accessed on U.S. soil.)

I am asking because I was just emailed to complete a TSI cancellation survey. While it looks like it is run on an in-house server I got thinking about this issue. I do see that the survey URL emailed to me is plain http, and not-SSL-protected (https); I hope it gets better from that and that the form response IS encrypted. (Anyway, I'm not actually cancelling; I upgraded to VDSL, and retained my original ADSL until my upgrade was proven to be working well.)

With all the Snowden NSA releases this fall, the US government's very bad record of spying not only on other citizens but its own illegally, the careless loss of 40 Million customer credit card records to thieves by Target recently, Adobe's loss of millions of customer credit card records, and on and on, it's desirable for clarity about how TekSavvy is protecting our person privacy as customers now and going forward.

The good thing about TekSavvy and one reason why I am an enthusiastic customer is that senior management meaningfully participated in this forum. I am actually hopeful of meaningful disclosure and discussion here, that I would never, ever get with the incumbents. As a prior example of that, there was Marc's discussion with customers here about log retention period. I don't think TekSavvy batted 100% on the Voltage issue, but at least there was transparency about that here.

Increasingly, more citizens are concerned about their personal privacy and being spied on. I believe that TekSavvy is in the position of being able to do the right thing, take this seriously, and through good policy and implementation, again differentiate itself in the market from the incumbents - who clearly cannot be trusted.

cheers,

Brett
Expand your moderator at work
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to BrettD

to BrettD

Re: What personally identified data, if any, does TSI store in the US?

You do realize that Canada is/was working the the NSA right??

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 edit

humanfilth to BrettD

to BrettD
Links about how the Canadian spy branch gives lots of things to the U.S. without need to tell people how their Rights no longer exist. Until the Republicans favorite Canadian Republican is removed, He(PM Harper) will continue to do what his U.S. Masters say, while in total disregard of Canadian laws and Rights.

The NSA put splitters(duplicators) on the Internet backbones all over the world and Canadian spy agency was instrumental is putting backdoors into Encryption while Canada was responsible for holding/making the keys a few years back.

»bccla.org/2013/11/rcmps- ··· -debate/
No problem with spying according to Foreign Affairs Minister
Posted on November 4, 2013

»bccla.org/2013/10/op-ed- ··· -spying/
Op-Ed: Suing for secret spying
Posted on October 30, 2013

»bccla.org/2013/10/spying ··· reedoms/
Spying: a Threat to our Democratic Freedoms
Posted on October 23, 2013

»bccla.org/news/2013/12/b ··· utional/
BCCLA reacts to US court ruling that NSA’s mass collection of metadata is likely unconstitutional
Posted on December 16, 2013

»bccla.org/news/2013/11/g ··· dequate/
Government response to new CSEC allegations is inadequate
Posted on November 29, 2013

»bccla.org/news/2013/11/s ··· da-csec/
Shocking revelations raise more questions about Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC)
Posted on November 28, 2013

»bccla.org/news/2013/10/b ··· -rights/
BC Civil Liberties Association says US surveillance programs violate human rights
Posted on October 28, 2013

»bccla.org/news/2013/10/s ··· nadians/
SPYING IN CANADA: Civil Liberties Watchdog Sues Surveillance Agency Over Illegal Spying On Canadians
Posted on October 22, 2013
Electronic privacy protections and oversight are worse in Canada than in the United States

The best ruling in a long time. Throwing a net over a person, just to try and find criminal activity, while exercising another matter, is not legal. A jay-walker can't be searched for just jay-walking. No evidence of a crime or particular crime, means no searching.
»bccla.org/news/2013/11/s ··· earches/
Supreme Court of Canada rules warrant required for computer and cell phone searches
Posted on November 7, 2013

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

2 recommendations

corster to BrettD

Premium Member

to BrettD
Can I interest you in a tinfoil hat?

martyb1
join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC

1 recommendation

martyb1 to humanfilth

to humanfilth

said by humanfilth:

Until the Republicans favorite Canadian Republican is removed, He(PM Harper) will continue to do what his U.S. Masters say, while in total disregard of Canadian laws and Rights.

holy tinfoilery! And are the US masters not Democrats right now?!

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to BrettD

Premium Member

to BrettD
Hey Brett, we store all data in Canada.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Marc, does TSI have a Google Cache server?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by Nitra:

Marc, does TSI have a Google Cache server?

i fail to see why that matters, assuming they do are you worried they'll log your google search results? because if so then they'll still be able to log it even if TSI doesn't have a Google Cache server when you hit their other CDN servers outside of TSI's network.

TSIer
@torservers.net

TSIer to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
hi Marc. For how long do you store logs (log retention policy) before erasing them? Can not find exact terms anywhere... Is there a difference for log retention on metered accounts versus unlimited?

Thx

TorGuyAlso
@66.85.173.x

TorGuyAlso

Anon

said by TSIer :

hi Marc. For how long do you store logs (log retention policy) before erasing them? Can not find exact terms anywhere... Is there a difference for log retention on metered accounts versus unlimited?

Thx

Last time I asked (few months ago), a TSI tech said that IP lease log is kept for about a week, but often they get cleared earlier for various reasons.

BTW, nice to see another fellow Tor user here on DSLr.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to TSIer

to TSIer
said by TSIer :

Thx

i believe the specifics were brought up months ago or last year during the entire bittorrent lawsuit which is still happening. however the TSI policies page doesn't indicate specifics and is rather vague as to when they'll delete logs or modify them to make them anon. the wording implies they'll keep them as long as they're legally obliged.
jmck

jmck to TorGuyAlso

to TorGuyAlso
said by TorGuyAlso :

said by TSIer :

Thx

Last time I asked (few months ago), a TSI tech said that IP lease log is kept for about a week, but often they get cleared earlier for various reasons.

this is false i believe and somewhat illegal i think.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 recommendation

humanfilth to martyb1

to martyb1
said by martyb1:

And are the US masters not Democrats right now?!

You forget that do-nothing Congress is the one to 'officially' repeal all the Martial law(known to idiots as the Patriot act of North America and enforced by militarized police).
The current President and Harper unfortunately renewed martial law when it hit their desk for signing(lets see if they renew it again in a couple of years), otherwise the rightwing would of shit their pants screaming "the terrorists will git us again"(9/11 terrorists known as the Saudis).
Factual history is super-duper fun!

The current Democratic party is at 'centrist-right' and only do 80% leftist, while continuing Bush jr's(has global warrants for his arrest) 'job creating' reign of heightened terror.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

said by humanfilth:

said by martyb1:

And are the US masters not Democrats right now?!

while continuing Bush jr's(has global warrants for his arrest) 'job creating' reign of heightened terror.

What in gods name are you rambling on about?

TorGuyAlso
@lessnetworking.net

TorGuyAlso to jmck

Anon

to jmck

said by jmck:

said by TorGuyAlso :

said by TSIer :

Thx

this is false i believe and somewhat illegal i think.

Then what is the legal prerequisite on how long to keep IP lease logs? (btw, is it provincially mandated to federally?)

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to BrettD

to BrettD
major league baseball will still have all your data.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by oceros37:

major league baseball will still have all your data.

You want to know the truth or see me sock a few dingers???

DINGERS DINGERS!!

Oooohhhh... YOINK!

I love the Simpsons!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Hey Brett, we store all data in Canada.

IMHO the stuff in TekSavvy Direct is in the U.S. isn't it? So technically ... ?

But other than than that, not the actual info that travels over a customer's lines eh

MooseANonny
@btcentralplus.com

MooseANonny to TorGuyAlso

Anon

to TorGuyAlso
There is no legally mandated requirement to keep logs.

None whatsoever.

It was confirmed by a user here during the first issues with Voltage, after consultations w a wide variety of Canadian administrative bodies.

ISP's keep logs of varying lengths for their own purposes only.

Naive
@rr.com

Naive

Anon

Why do you people persist when it is now a known fact that the US Government accesses whatever they please whenever they please.

Are you still so naive, that the fact you are not in the US, somehow makes you and your country a non-participant?

Legality under any and all laws is irrelevant.

Spying has no rules nor boundaries nor country of origin.

This is real folks, not an Agatha Christie mystery.

moovyguy
join:2004-05-10
Ottawa & PSL

moovyguy

To both Naïve and the OP, if this is so much of a concern and knowing in the end how little power we have to do anything about it while still being active online, there really is no choice but to either accept what you cannot change, or simply unplug and be happy with that.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to BrettD

Premium Member

to BrettD
Lets see:

1) TSI keeps customer information in Canada, so far as we know, ie. no use of Salesforce, GoogleApps, or any US_based cloud service (Marc??).

2) DSL Reports TSI private support forum IS hosted in the US, and as such is subject to ALL US laws - however asinine they may be.

3) TSI has a network presence in a carrier hotel in New York City. This makes TSI liable to report ANYTHING they have on you upon request from NSA, CIA, FBI, etc... unless Marc wants to try the rectal probe next time he crosses the US border, and spend some quality time in a 8'x10' cell with a guy named 'Crusher'.

4) Any transmission (e-mail, Voip, ftp, VPN, etc....) you send/receive which crosses the US border IS collected by the NSA. A transmission from Toronto to Vancouver has a higher probability of crossing the US border than staying in Canada, either due to lower cost, or co-opting of the US-based transit carriers by US 'intelligence' to actively route all their Canadian traffic to the US for collection.

5) Sympatico.ca & Rogers.com e-mail addresses are hosted in Chicago & Sunnyvale, California respectively. Any communications you have with people on those domains is harvested by the NSA. Any e-mail communication with your doctor (shrink or otherwise), accountant, lawyer, priest, girlfriend, etc... that crosses the border can & will eventually be used against you somehow.

6) Any cross-border traffic which is encrypted in any way (PGP, VPN, SFTP, etc.. will be retained by the NSA until they manage to break the encryption...... and who knows how long that will take/be - this is a public statement from the NSA but I don't have the source for this at the moment). FYI - the US is still working on breaking WWII Soviet messages, so they are nothing if not persistent.

7) I rate that chances are good that at some point in the future, if you cross the US border and you have used encryption, you may be detained for questioning and your electronic devices held for 'examination'. They'll do this by tying the metadata they currently gather to your real identity. If the US does this, they will almost certainly share their results with CSEC.

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook

MVM

said by MaynardKrebs:

FYI - the US is still working on breaking WWII Soviet messages

Or at least so they would like the Russians to believe
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to BrettD

to BrettD
What's interesting about this is how backwards most people have it.

When data is stored in the US, the NSA (and other spy agencies) are not allowed to touch it without a court order. Yes, those orders are way too easy to obtain, but at the very least they have to approach a judge with at least something resembling probable cause. Were they caught intercepting data within US borders without such a warrant, the people involved could be criminally charged under both state and federal law.

Data stored OUTSIDE the US, however, is far easier to steal. So long as they don't get caught in the actual act, the agencies are essentially immune as the US will never have to identify the people involved. When the NSA broke into Google and other networks to steal data, they did so almost exclusively in Europe.

Having your data stored on a US server is, perversely, often the best way to prevent its arbitrary theft by US agencies.

All that being said, the chances of said agencies giving a rat's ass about any of our data is basically 0. That they steal it is troubling and they should be stopped if at all possible, but in the end, they're not interested in 99.999999999% of what they grab.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to nanook

Premium Member

to nanook
said by nanook:

said by MaynardKrebs:

FYI - the US is still working on breaking WWII Soviet messages

Or at least so they would like the Russians to believe

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ve ··· _project
There's still lots to learn from even stuff that old.

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook

MVM

said by MaynardKrebs:

There's still lots to learn from even stuff that old.

The Wikipedia article says they ended the program in 1980. That's 33 years ago from today.

My point however was a bit different: Misinformation can be as useful as information. Sometimes even more so.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to BrettD

to BrettD
The NSA has ties to everything on the internet - there is no hiding. If you don't like it (which I can't believe anybody does), then unplug from the internet completely.