All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

1 recommendation

avze

Gmail stay signed in? Does this bother anyone else?

Despit I am only using or accessing Gmail from my own secured trudted wifi and wired network behind a router and all that stuff, is it still wise to uncheck the stay signed on like the one from the snap shop?

I always uncheck this. Like I said, even on my own network.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

If others have access to your PC then sign out (if you don't want them in your email).

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to avze

to avze
gmail sign-in may expire in 2 weeks from sign-in. Other site have varying expire times.

Those who leave cookies in their browser on close and have not signed out of accounts will create a long track across the web.
Your roomy can open your cookie filled browser and use your email/accounts without entering passwords.

Various websites will have little hidden bits that see your log-in and can use it for tracking or advertising. 'Hey look, its bill @ yahoo, who has visited all these sites'.
Facebook does the same. Little beacons.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to avze

to avze

I wouldnt worry......

All you have to do is CLEAR COOKIES and the "Stay logged in" is disabled..
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to avze

Premium Member

to avze

Re: Gmail stay signed in? Does this bother anyone else?

You are lucky.

When i sign into Gmail I dont have an option to stay signed in, It is automatically assumed by Google that I wish to stay signed in.

I noticed initially when all my Google searches were under whichever gmail account I had used last ( another wonderful change is that they made it much more annoying to have multiple accounts).

In the past I would at times stay signed in, but now that its extremely obvious all my search results are getting filed under my email address\g+ real identity I ensure I sign out everytime I check an email.

This new year I will be moving all my email needs away from Google (with the exception of spam), and ensuring they have as little impact on my web browsing and searching going forward. ( I no longer favorite or like youtube videos anymore I add them to my browser favorites if I wish to enjoy them again).

Google is quickly getting into the position from doing no evil to being able to screw you over if they want too.( or somone requests the data for them to do so).

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to avze

Premium Member

to avze
Yahoo has it on the signin page. If you don't uncheck it it's almost impossible to sign out. They all have the invite to make xxx your home page. The portal is on it's way back. One page to rule them all. My homepage is about:blank everywhere.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to avze

Premium Member

to avze
Staying signed in assumes you are possibly wanting to check multiple Google accounts in one Browser session. You would probably not want to select this as it will keep you logged in allowing a Google super cookie.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

... it's almost impossible to sign out.

Just click your username (or "real name", it's usually in the top right) on any yahoo page to sign out

Expand your moderator at work
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr

said by slckusr:

In the past I would at times stay signed in, but now that its extremely obvious all my search results are getting filed under my email address\g+ real identity I ensure I sign out everytime I check an email.

I don't know which particular browser you're using now, but if it's Iron (or Chrome, or FifeFox) you may run several browsers at the same time and login from all of them into different gmail accounts. The important point here is to launch all of them using different profiles. I do it all the time, when I need let say to keep gmail opened in one browser and do a search in another simultaneously (or open gmail with another account). Again, using different profiles is a key here.

For additional details you may want to check my earlier post in this forum.
avze

avze

i forgot to mention is that i do have my browser set to auto clear cookies/cache/temp files and etc when closing out of the browser itself.

And since were on this topic of using Gmail, I am also accessing it from Outlook using IMAP.
Which is more secure? Using Outlook or using the web-based Gmail?
But in Outlook, I do have the checkmark to remember Gmail password.
Connection settings are SSL 993 and TLS 587.

So would using Outlook to access Gmail is less/more secure than using the web-based version?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by avze:

i forgot to mention is that i do have my browser set to auto clear cookies/cache/temp files and etc when closing out of the browser itself.

Since you are clearing the cookies you can check it or not, won't matter either way.
said by avze:

Which is more secure? Using Outlook or using the web-based Gmail?

If you have the imap set to SSL/TLS using outlook should be as secure (perhaps more) than the web-based as far as transport.
said by avze:

But in Outlook, I do have the checkmark to remember Gmail password.

The cookie to keep you signed in to the web mail session is more secure than letting a program have access to your real password. An attack could recover your real password as opposed to only taking over one of your log in sessions.
avze

avze

In Outlook, here is what my settings are.
See image

So leaving the "Remember Password" checked in my Account settings in Outlook should be Ok then?

But here goes the laziness factor so to speak LOL

If I uncheck it, then everytime i open Outlook, it does ask me for the Gmail account password, and if I send an email, it also asks for the password again.

So that is why I leave it checked.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
I never check "stay signed in". When Yahoo futzed the mail service this year, they automatically checked the box. If the box is checked, the signout menu jumps all over the place making it difficult. Since I usually turn off images the minute I hit Yahoo, I missed it. I've had the damn account since around 1998 and never checked "stay signed in".

Google Play hid the signout icon behind a big box almost demanding you to sign up for +. The workaround to that was a pain.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to carpetshark3

MVM

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

My homepage is about:blank everywhere.

Mine is: file://localhost/C:/Users/User/Pictures/0-9, A/~gap/Diary 2013-09/1edd8853.jpg.

I don't like blank pages!
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to avze

to avze
said by avze:

So leaving the "Remember Password" checked in my Account settings in Outlook should be Ok then?

Your settings in Outlook are independent of the web portal for Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/LIVE etc..

As you are aware if your check "Remember Password" in Outlook settings then you are not prompted by Outlook to enter your password each time the program tries to send or receive. Again this is irrelevant of any setting or check you may have on the website regarding keeping you signed in.

So to answer your question, Yes it is OK.
Expand your moderator at work

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to OZO

Anon

to OZO

Yep, I run a different Firefox Portable instance for each of my Gmail accounts--keeps everything quite separated (and this is something I did before Google's recent changes to account "tracking").

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to avze

Premium Member

to avze
It does not bother me at all. I simply log out every time. I never leave my browser open either.