spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Number1994
join:2008-02-03
Frederick, MD

2 edits

Number1994

[Equip] Two cable modems on one account.

I replaced my SB6121 with an SBG6782. Did the self install, no issues. The 6782 was having some issues with connectivity, so I was going to call Comcast and have the 6121 put back on the account. Before I called, I noticed on the "my equipment" section of the website it had both modems listed as active. They both had separate bandwidth usage.

This was over 6 months ago. I was able to resolve the connection problems with the 6782 and am now using both modems in separate areas of the house.

Both bandwidth meters continue to update separately and both modems remain active. I am also only being charged for one internet connection.

Is this a mistake on Comcast's part to allow both modems to access the internet? From what I've read here recently, I shouldn't be able to do this.

Does anyone have any insight?

Edited to add topic group category. Sunny See Profile

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

Re: Two cable modems on one account.

Your heading for a big surprise is my guess.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to Number1994

to Number1994
probably a mistake internally with their billing/metering. people often report problems with that stuff, like being billed for a rental modem when they own their own. i assume each modem has its own internet IP address?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

They have their own MAC address. That's how service is authorized.

If Comcast was doing their job properly, the OP would be getting billed for two internet plans.
Number1994
Frederick, MD

Number1994 to tigerpaw509

to tigerpaw509
I fail to see how I'm heading for a big suprise if this is a mistake that they have made. After stumbling on a post regarding two modems and seeing how it could be an issue I was just seeking clarification.

I am going to contact them and see what they say. Will update.
Number1994

Number1994 to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Yes, each has it's own unique IP.

Navitron
join:2005-04-07
Seattle, WA

Navitron to Number1994

to Number1994
When you get another modem usually you can set it up yourself online (back when I did it.) Its a completely automated process and its supposed to deactivate the first one and change it to the second one. Things can go a little wonky though, when I did it froze during the transfer process. It activated the 2nd modem without turning off the 1st. This was a few years back, same thing as you had 2 modems listed in my account page.

You couldn't set this up again like that even if you payed for it. Just a automated process going awry. I kept the 1st modem for backup and yes both worked, until about a year later when I upgraded some cable boxes and they did a reactivation across all devices on my account which finally turned off the "extra" modem.

They probably know this happens now and again and don't care to much about it. Now if you have something like 100/20 service and start going crazy on both of them and clogging up your node you could probably get into some doodoo. Other then that enjoy your 2 modem.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Number1994

MVM

to Number1994
Normally when you change a modem, you'll see the old & new until the next billing cycle at which time the old modem disappears.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

I replaced a customer owned 6221 with a 6141 about 6 months ago. Wasn't using the 6121, but kept it as a backup. Both stayed authorized on my account until I dropped a note in the Comcast Direct section here and asked that the 6121 be removed as I was disposing of it. It disappeared a few days later. So there's still glitched with the provisioning system.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Number1994

Premium Member

to Number1994
said by Number1994:

Yes, each has it's own unique IP.

So you have both hooked up? and are checking them via a computer?
Number1994
Frederick, MD

Number1994

Correct, both are connected to a separate computer in different parts of the house. I was having trouble getting Wi-Fi connection in the basement. So I put the old one down there and it worked.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Then you should be being billed for 2 accounts (in a few rare cases they allow 2 modems on an account according to some very old posts here) and that's why you are running up bits on the second modem...it's connected.
I'd work on a solutions to the Wi-Fi problem (wiring isn't hard) and get one of them disconnected BEFORE they bill you.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Number1994

to Number1994

Re: [Equip] Two cable modems on one account.

If you decide to continue with this, Comcast will find out and you will probably be billed retroactively. If they find it prudent to go after me (after 10 months) for my modem that I replaced with another purchased modem, you don't stand a chance.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Number1994

Premium Member

to Number1994
Comcast system will eventually shut it down. A simple typo error during self activation is what causes it. Im not going to go into what typo does it. I will just say its what allowed people to sell free internet service on craigslist for years until comcast finally went after them.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to Number1994

Premium Member

to Number1994
I just activated a new modem today and when I went to go see if Comcast's system properly marked it as customer owned, the support rep said that while it was "activated" and running, it wasn't technically in their billing system.

The support rep wanted me to go down to my local office and get them to remove my DPC3008 from my account and add my new one to my billing, but I'll probably not go.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by Darknessfall:

I just activated a new modem today and when I went to go see if Comcast's system properly marked it as customer owned, the support rep said that while it was "activated" and running, it wasn't technically in their billing system.

I'd give it a day or two and check again. The Comcast billing system isn't real time.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Number1994

MVM

to Number1994

Re: [Equip] New Moto SBG6782 Gateway at my local Best Buy

Click for full size
Moto SBG6782 box in local Best Buy
Click for full size
Moto SBG6782 Best Buy shelf tag
said by Number1994:

I replaced my SB6121 with an SBG6782. ...

Also in reply to: »New Modem Out

The Moto SBG6782 Gateway just showed up at my local Best Buy store, at $229.99, sometime this month.