share rss forum feed

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

[STB] Problem Adding 7th Box

I'm having a very strange problem. I added three 7100-P2s over the holidays. I initially configured and tested them all on one connection one at a time and the boxes were fine (all pulled a new IP address, all fully worked, etc). I have now distributed them to their final homes around the house. The first two, boxes 5 and 6 in my network, set-up just fine. The third new one (box 7) is not getting a signal. All three locations/connections previously had digital adapters on them and worked okay.

The three boxes in question run from the Verizon 8-way splitter first to a single two-way splitter. One leg of that splitter splits again and feeds the 5th and 6th box and all is great. The other leg of the initial two-way splitter runs to the 7th box that has problems.

If I switch over the connections on that initial two-way splitter the 7th box gets a signal. Bam! I thought I simply had a bad leg on the splitter. But, when I then connect the other leg (that feeds boxes 5 and 6) they then get a signal but another box altogether in my network loses a signal. The latter is connected to the 8-way splitter and has nothing to do with the leg feeding boxes 5, 6 and 7.

Until now I have not had problems losing signals on other boxes (1 through 4) although I do have the problem receiving a few channels on a couple of boxes (CNN for eg).

For now I have returned all splitter connections to where I started and I'm back to just box 7 with no signal.

These problems make me think the ONT or router are having problems serving up 7 boxes but I don't know where to go from here. Remember, when it was digital adapters I got signals.

Any ideas?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
Update: I left everything alone for an hour. Checked again and box 7 briefly got a signal while that 'other' box (from the pre-existing 4 boxes) lost it's signal. I unplugged the coax from the back of box 7 and the 'other' box got it's signal back.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to Nezmo
What exactly do you mean by "no signal" ? Are these all 7xxxx STBs?

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to Nezmo
Do you have the older rev F or below router? It could be a MoCA problem. I seem to recall that there was a limit of eight devices, including the router itself, supported on the older Actiontec routers. I hear the rev I can support sixteen devices.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to Nezmo
Do you have any MoCA 1.0 devices on the network? That would impose an 8-device limit on a single channel. 7 boxes, 1 router makes 8. Do you have any other moca devices?

That is fixable but will require some planning.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Nezmo
I was going to mention the 7+1 Moca 1.0 limit but the OP says he only has 7 MOCA devices which should work.

(This is when the OP traces his coax and notices that one link heads to his neighbor's house....)

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to Nezmo
It almost sounds like the HD STB's are needing a bit stronger of a signal than the adapters did - and there's not enough to go around when adding all of them to the mix.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Vztechjoe

@optonline.net
The 8 way to a 2 way to another 2 way is your problem. You don't need an 8 way first. Put a 2 way to a 4 way first. The 3.5 hot leg should go to the next 2 way and try to have the router off the 4 way.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

4 edits
reply to Nezmo
Okay folks I think you have something.

Firstly, by no signal I mean the box says after starting up that there is no signal and will not continue. And yes, they are all 7xxx boxes with the latest IMG.

I have a Rev D so I am limited to 7+1. I thought I wasn't exceeding this number BUT I do have one of the old Motorola NIM black boxes in the mix that was used with the old D-Link router before the Actiontecs were available. The Motorola NIM is in another room providing a connection for an Xbox but I can rework that now. That means I am at 7+1 (if that box counts) before I add the last STB.

I never thought about this as I do not see the device on any network lists or scans I do.

That's likely it I guess. Thank you! I report back once I've had a chance to juggle things around.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
The NIM-100 is included in the MOCA 1.0 limit.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by More Fiber:

The NIM-100 is included in the MOCA 1.0 limit.

Great. Just waiting for a teenager to surface so I can reconnect STB #7 now I have taken out the NIM.

Thanks
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Nezmo
Box #7 is now connected, it has an IP address and the other boxes are staying connected. That is progress. However, box #7 is still telling me there is no signal on startup. I can ping the box but In-Home Agent tells me the box has no connectivity.

Router reboot maybe? Only want to do that if I have to given the disruption it will cause.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Nezmo:

Router reboot maybe?

Likely -- the router may have to forget the NIM and be introduced to the 7th STB.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
reply to Nezmo
Call the FSC the STB needs to be reloaded. It is a bug with the new firmware. You can try to unplug - replug. then when that screen comes up hit info then exit to watch tv. IF that doesn't work the FSC will need to re hit .
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Nezmo
Thanks again. While I was re-seating some connections and redoing others the box finally got past that message and all is fine. I had first tried getting the box restarted via In-Home agent, etc but didn't go as far as calling the FSC.

I initially got the same problem I have on two other STBs where I can't get certain channels (and thus I thought I had a dodgy connection somewhere) but I even solved that issue too. I have been using some very thin (but high quality) coax in some rooms and it just can't transmit some frequencies. I ditched it for some regular coax and all channels are now fine. Live and learn.

The NIM was the original issue I had so thank you to everyone that chimed in.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Nezmo:

The NIM was the original issue I had so thank you to everyone that chimed in.

It's so easy to forget Devices That Just Work (tm), isn't it?

Glad you got it all fixed!