uniqs
share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

Gen-4 Slowdowns Continue

I find it interesting that Gen 4 is still be plagued by slowdowns. That satellite should not be anywhere near full.

[mod note; OT subthread; moved to its own topic. Title edited to better reflect content]

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Re: New Gen-4 Customer....

said by silbaco:

That satellite should not be anywhere near full.

Most likely has nothing to do with Echostar17 itself but with the ground facilities.

Hughes has always "overbooked" its NOC's.

They also are having software issues up the 'Kazoo. Going downhill since they tried setting late night free time & Bonus Byte periods on 9000/Gen4 to users local time zone.

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to silbaco

Re: Gen-4 Slowdowns Continue

Occasionally I find a customer who complains about speed issues. Once I get past the latency induced delay after clicking ( i.e. Educate Customer) and get on to a speed test and actually find an account that isn't up to par but passes OVT I have swapped parts till the issue is corrected. I have found defective routers, wire ( on an upgraded account ), modems, transmitters and customer computer.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

said by A Tech:

I have found defective routers, wire ( on an upgraded account ), modems, transmitters and customer computer.

I guess that I should swap out modems, and then the transmitter. I was sure that HN's speed problem with Gen4 was either beam related or gateway related until the parent of this topic revealed two customers on the same beam and gateway. One was fast, and one was slow.

The problem that I have believing that Gen4's speed problems are being caused by a defective modem is that my speeds are usually right at my "up to" speed of 10Mbps in the Bonus Byte Period. So the modem and / or transmitter just don't feel like working during the day, but they're quite the night owls? That just doesn't make any sense.

I just wonder how many people are having speed problems without realizing it. Even at 1 Mbps, with ads/flash/tracking blocked out, I can browse reasonably well given the "web acceleration" and DNS caching. (It's when I hit something that can't be compressed like a gif or jpg that the slowness really shows.)

I know that other people are having download speed problems too since testmy.net keeps logs:

»testmy.net/host-history/hughes_network_syste

I was getting my "up to" speed of 10 Mbps this moring at around 7:30 AM. But now I just got 0.467 Mbps. (And testmy.net gives similar-to-faster speed results than HN's own speed tests. So I also don't buy their official stance that a reputable speed test like testmy.net just doesn't give valid results with satellite. It sure works with Exede-12!)

HN must have network monitoring, and they must be aware of the problem to some degree. Referencing the data that I posted in the parent topic, if I had done more speed tests in 2012, I could state with calculated certainty they HN "changed something" near the beginning of 2013 which has caused problems for me.
--
Gen4 / HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

Since you seem to be grasping at straws james, maybe you will get some satisfaction in looking at these links about packet testing. Supposedly if one's router xmits at a too-large packet size, the packets get fragmented and speed suffers. At least I think that's the theory. In any case, being the anal sort myself, I ran the tests and found that while my router defaults to an MTU of 1500, I needed to set it instead to 1472 to avoid such fragmentation:

»Optimum Online FAQ »How do I test for packet loss?

»community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-···p/563281

BTW I do have Virgin Mobile also and found 1472 to be the sweet spot for it as well.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to james1979

said by james1979:

I know that other people are having download speed problems too since testmy.net keeps logs:

»testmy.net/host-history/hughes_network_syste

I doubt that the testmy.net statistics related to results from Hughesnet customers have much meaning since they appear to include, not only Gen4 customers, but also customers using 9000 systems, 7000 systems, and even older systems. Those using older systems still, I would guess, make up a good share of the total of Hughes customers, and there are many who would be on service plans whose advertised "up to" speeds might only be in the 1 megabit or 1.5 megabit range. Obviously, the results from those customers would severely pull down the average that might be achieved from Gen4 customers.

said by james1979:

The problem that I have believing that Gen4's speed problems are being caused by a defective modem is that my speeds are usually right at my "up to" speed of 10Mbps in the Bonus Byte Period. So the modem and / or transmitter just don't feel like working during the day, but they're quite the night owls?

My guess would be that the reason for advertised "up to" speeds during the Bonus Byte period and much slower speeds during the day is simply that demand for bandwidth is much lower during the overnight period. It has been 3 years since I've been a Hughes customer and I'm not as familiar with how Gen4 is set up as I was with the 7000 and 9000 systems, but, if Gen4 is set up the same way as the older 7000 and 9000 systems, you are sharing bandwidth with a relatively small number of other customers, and it doesn't take more than a few of them watching videos or doing other heavy downloading to put a strain on bandwidth and to cause the severe slowdowns.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA

1 edit
reply to laserfan

said by laserfan:

Since you seem to be grasping at straws james, maybe you will get some satisfaction in looking at these links about packet testing. Supposedly if one's router xmits at a too-large packet size, the packets get fragmented and speed suffers. At least I think that's the theory. In any case, being the anal sort myself, I ran the tests and found that while my router defaults to an MTU of 1500, I needed to set it instead to 1472 to avoid such fragmentation:

I only seem to be grasping at straws. I initially figured that Hughes was having "technical difficulties" that their engineers wouldn't / couldn't acknowledge, and that they would eventually "fix their bugs". Later, I figured that they had already overstuffed beam 51. If you'll notice, they've put all of Western Washington, Victoria, B.C., and maybe Portland on beam 51: »www.satstar.net/satellites/echo17.html . Given that Gen4 is crippled in "prime time" but often works fine in the early morning hours, that is certainly the simplest explanation. The parent of this topic has made me question my hypothesis. Beamstuffing is still the most likely explanation however.

I am not using a router on my Mac:

en0: flags=8863 mtu 1500
ether 00:1f:f3:ca:5b:ef
inet6 fe80::21f:f3ff:feca:5bef%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
inet6 fd0d:edc3:e12a::21f:f3ff:feca:5bef prefixlen 64 autoconf
inet6 2001:5b0:2b4b:3260:21f:f3ff:feca:5bef prefixlen 64 autoconf
inet 100.89.153.51 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 100.89.153.55
media: autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex,flow-control)

When Gen4 does work, I do use the router in my Time Capsule to watch Netflix/Roku in the living room, but my router is not the problem.

When Gen4 was first introduced and I encountered the "pipelining bug", I really was grasping at straws. I conjectured that I had a "haunted modem". That was a Halloween 2012 joke, but maybe I was right.

(I will trying changing the MTU however.)
--
Gen4 / HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA
reply to One More Too

said by One More Too:

I doubt that the testmy.net statistics related to results from Hughesnet customers have much meaning since they appear to include, not only Gen4 customers, but also customers using 9000 systems, 7000 systems, and even older systems.

I figured differently thinking that HN had moved quite a lot of customers off their older systems and onto Gen4. HN isn't releasing figures, so we'll just have to wonder.

Before I composed my previous post, I did a speed test and got 10.15 Mbps. After that post, I performed another speed test and got 1.35 Mbps : »testmy.net/compID/661812701046

This performance is very typical for "my Gen4".

(As has been accidentally documented, I experience similar speed flakiness with HN's own speed test. I never intended to perform a statistical study of my speeds, but the data was conveniently downloaded. After that, all that it took was an AWK one-liner and then existing C code, and now my Gen4 speeds and fluctuations have been documented.)

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

said by james1979:

Before I composed my previous post, I did a speed test and got 10.15 Mbps. After that post, I performed another speed test and got 1.35 Mbps : »testmy.net/compID/661812701046

This performance is very typical for "my Gen4".

Really sucks, sorry to hear it. The only thing I can think of is that you have a "neighbor" or neighbors on your beam who are big bandwidth users and choking you off.

I can't imagine how you could ever get HN to investigate or acknowledge this...

FWIW I have had a few problems lately with their so-called Web Acceleration and other anomalies causing me to switch-over to my Virgin 3G backup for some hours. As I've had similar monthly issues with VM, I hope my HN glitches are due to maintenance or service at the ground stations.

--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA

3 edits

said by laserfan:

Really sucks, sorry to hear it. The only thing I can think of is that you have a "neighbor" or neighbors on your beam who are big bandwidth users and choking you off.

Not likely. There's only a little over 100 households in this ZIP, and most of them have DSL. Most of the ones who can't get DSL can't afford satellite Internet anyway. (I know of two households that still don't have running water in their dwellings.)

If my former neighbors who had also Gen4 hadn't moved back to Florida, it would be simple to rule out an equipment problem, but then, they moved back to Florida. For some reason, Hughes has not asked for their transmitter back from the former neighbors, and I have been tempted to swap out transmitters to see what happens.

As they stuck with Gen4 (despite having cable and DSL as options), I did ask him if he was having any speed problems. His response was negative, but then, the reason they kept Gen4 is that she "[didn't] want to change anything", so I'm not sure if they would even notice a speed problem.

He did ask me, "OK, who did you piss off at the NSA?" While I did try to publicize Gen. Keith Alexander's "information dominance center" modeled after the bridge of the USS Enterprise complete with doors that go "Whoosh", that was after my speed problems began. After reading the latest leak from Spiegel: »www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/photo···339.html , he might be on to something. (Just as an aside for those that care, the German government is allowing the German news media to methodically release all of the data which Snowden elected to leak. But the news media in the "Anglo Alliance" is apparently afraid to report this.)

Edited to correct that there are around 100 households and a little over 200 *people* in this ZIP code.