spc
uniqs
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr

Re: Gmail stay signed in? Does this bother anyone else?

said by slckusr:

In the past I would at times stay signed in, but now that its extremely obvious all my search results are getting filed under my email address\g+ real identity I ensure I sign out everytime I check an email.

I don't know which particular browser you're using now, but if it's Iron (or Chrome, or FifeFox) you may run several browsers at the same time and login from all of them into different gmail accounts. The important point here is to launch all of them using different profiles. I do it all the time, when I need let say to keep gmail opened in one browser and do a search in another simultaneously (or open gmail with another account). Again, using different profiles is a key here.

For additional details you may want to check my earlier post in this forum.
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

i forgot to mention is that i do have my browser set to auto clear cookies/cache/temp files and etc when closing out of the browser itself.

And since were on this topic of using Gmail, I am also accessing it from Outlook using IMAP.
Which is more secure? Using Outlook or using the web-based Gmail?
But in Outlook, I do have the checkmark to remember Gmail password.
Connection settings are SSL 993 and TLS 587.

So would using Outlook to access Gmail is less/more secure than using the web-based version?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by avze:

i forgot to mention is that i do have my browser set to auto clear cookies/cache/temp files and etc when closing out of the browser itself.

Since you are clearing the cookies you can check it or not, won't matter either way.
said by avze:

Which is more secure? Using Outlook or using the web-based Gmail?

If you have the imap set to SSL/TLS using outlook should be as secure (perhaps more) than the web-based as far as transport.
said by avze:

But in Outlook, I do have the checkmark to remember Gmail password.

The cookie to keep you signed in to the web mail session is more secure than letting a program have access to your real password. An attack could recover your real password as opposed to only taking over one of your log in sessions.
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

In Outlook, here is what my settings are.
See image

So leaving the "Remember Password" checked in my Account settings in Outlook should be Ok then?

But here goes the laziness factor so to speak LOL

If I uncheck it, then everytime i open Outlook, it does ask me for the Gmail account password, and if I send an email, it also asks for the password again.

So that is why I leave it checked.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1

said by avze:

So leaving the "Remember Password" checked in my Account settings in Outlook should be Ok then?

Your settings in Outlook are independent of the web portal for Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/LIVE etc..

As you are aware if your check "Remember Password" in Outlook settings then you are not prompted by Outlook to enter your password each time the program tries to send or receive. Again this is irrelevant of any setting or check you may have on the website regarding keeping you signed in.

So to answer your question, Yes it is OK.
Expand your moderator at work

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to OZO

Anon

to OZO

Re: Gmail stay signed in? Does this bother anyone else?

Yep, I run a different Firefox Portable instance for each of my Gmail accounts--keeps everything quite separated (and this is something I did before Google's recent changes to account "tracking").