spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ann_onimous
@shawcable.net

ann_onimous

Anon

DCX 3400 M Firewire problems

I have the DCX 3400 M. I need to get something off of the hard drive to a computer; it is just a little fluff news story so I doubt it there is any major copy protection on it.

I borrowed an iMac running OSX with version 10.6.8 to be exact. It's got a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2G RAM. I am no Mac expert but decided to borrow this because it is supposed to be so much easier with a Mac....not so far.

I dowloaded the Firewire SDK 26, hooked the computer to the DVR, ran the capture program and hit play on the recording. The recording sped up, had no sound, then eventually pixelated and went black. I still ran the recording just in case it actually worked, but it literally recorded nothing, 0 kb. I did try the obvious reboots and reseating of the cable ends.

Has anyone had this happen...and found the fix?
Expand your moderator at work
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

adiabatic to ann_onimous

to ann_onimous

Re: DCX 3400 M Firewire problems

I could never get the FW to work reliably on my DCX3400. I know what I'm doing too as I'd recorded lots of stuff to my PC from a DCT3416. Exactly what you describe... fast video, no sound. Somewhere there was list of a quirky series of steps that some people claimed would work but I couldn't get it to.

Either Motorola or Shaw likely crippled the port. Your best bet is some sort of analog capture.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by adiabatic:

Either Motorola or Shaw likely crippled the port

From everything I saw, the issue is drivers, the driver for the DCX3400 is different from the DCT3416, and the DCT3416 was a mess, but close

ann_onimous
@shawcable.net

ann_onimous to adiabatic

Anon

to adiabatic
I was afraid of that, but thank you for the response. After some reading, it seems they are not actually allowed to disable it anymore (though I can't be positive that ruling extends to Canada) but they are getting around it claiming to have firmware problems.

All I wanted to do was take a short clip off the recorded news of the disadvantaged youth I work with doing something fabulous at Christmas; and use it to give the kids a sense of pride in what they had accomplished. Shaw depriving people of this ability just gives one more reason on my list to go with another company when I move.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Get or borrow a capture card...

firewire
@shawcable.net

firewire to ann_onimous

Anon

to ann_onimous
You need the right drivers... these are for windows: »home.comcast.net/~exdeus ··· irewire/

I haven't tried it my self yet... good luck!

kinzy
@shawcable.net

kinzy to ann_onimous

Anon

to ann_onimous
thats funny. i was just at my friends house and i am about 99% sure this was the box he got, i went to show him some features how to use the digital boxes and as soon as i seen the guide i was disgusted, lol it looked like something from 10 years ago, like wtf, hes like o shaw said there new one (the one i have thats working beatifully) is having problems so he gave him that one, compared to mine, that box seemed like a POS.

words can not express how happy i am i did not get this box, or i probably would have thought shaw was garbage, even tho they kinda are

get your shit together shaw.

even recently i was billed for the additional ring that was suppose to be free with shaw friends, but i guess they just try to get you everywhere your not looking, im curious how many other people have payed for this without noticing, the only reason i noticed is because im like a hawk with my bill

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

DCX3400 is good, DCX3510 is crap
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

Yeah, the 3510 has the new Shaw guide and screwed up channel lineup. Both stink.

The guide's not only terrible, it's achingly slow. Which is fine since you can always use your tablet and get guide listings there (much faster). Except the channel numbers don't lineup because the new boxes use the "screwed up" Shaw lineup.

And there's no law in Canada that says Firewire must be active. It's an FCC ruling which only applies in the US. If it works, it just means Shaw hasn't gotten around to screwing it up yet.

kinzy
@shawcable.net

kinzy to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

DCX3400 is good, DCX3510 is crap

mines a 3510 and its 10 times better then the 3400 at my friends house... his guide was shit. mine is beautiful. everything works on mine perfectly. i love how i can go to a channel, scroll left, and see all the VOD for that channel. tried to show that to my friend, then i seen how bad his guide looked, it looked much worse then our SD satelite tv guide we had for years

maybe the 3510 used to be bad, but mine is 10 times better then the 3400
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

2 edits

adiabatic to firewire

to firewire
said by firewire :

You need the right drivers... these are for windows: »home.comcast.net/~exdeus ··· irewire/

They're quite old now and are the ones based on the Panasonic DVHS drivers, I believe. They are however, the right drivers though you have to edit the INF file to create an entry for the DCX3400 because the package hasn't been updated for quite a while.

Whether or not the Shaw firmware resolves the previous capture bug, I do not know.