uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurboNerd

join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Merry Christmas! parental units present from SL is bouncing net+

Jumping the gun knowing I got dicked with lubbock call center and hung up at closing time to be on hold with the 24 hr call center when I called back since lubbock closes at midnight central.

SL reps please inform me their is an issue with your service and not local hardware so I know I have never been dicked around on here.

Perfect service for 6+ months.
no drop and about 2 to 3 correcteds a day 0 uncrrectables over life. (Except when a tuner is connected injecting momentary noise 4 or 5 times for cleaning)
Consistent 36 snr across all 4 downstream. And power 40 on the up and voltage hovers around a perfect 0 plus or minus 2 on downstream

now voltage is between +2 and +4 which is negligible on downstream no change on up.

only change is Badly fluctuating speeds
from consistent 20 over months
now tests vary between 1.5-3 up to 6-8 occasionally I get a 20 test in there but most hover on the lower intolerable latentcy disconnect from servers.

keep in mind NO CORRECTABLES let alone UNCORRECTABLES during this entire time. So I assume no cable signal issues must be service issues since I have also been loosing random Digital channels for split second at random times.

Anybody experience this issue and know what I should expect monday. Besides the issue not appearing and getting the run around for months again.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Anytime I lose channels, there's been noise in the line.

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
reply to TurboNerd
Wouldn't noise cause correcteables?

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
reply to TurboNerd
Ping times consistent and level. No smoke.
Data speeds have stabilized to an average 6-7 at all portions of the day like they have been throttled to 50% of what they pay for and 33% of our consistent speeds 20 mbits (on a 15 mbit package)

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
said by TurboNerd:

Wouldn't noise cause correcteables?

The way I understand how it works is that correctables only kick in when a couple of symbols are damaged. Once you get several in a row, the cypher can't work anymore and it becomes a dropped packet instead of a correctable. When you get noise in the line, it will last a LOT longer than the duration of a handful of symbols coming across the line so you get dropped packets and pixelized digital tv. This also happens a lot more on the upstream from several of the articles I've read. The return path is far more susceptible to noise, and it's also the part of the signal that we will never get to see.
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
In the HDD world uncorrectables are" dropped packets".
we are sitting at 0. Unless arris misinformed me in the springtime issue it holds true for CMs as well.

Personally think they swapped stuff around. Fixing another persons issues to cause issues with us.
higher usage with more people coming in town. Town is pretty much the retirement place. And most goes to grandparents or moms/pops for xmas and overloaded. It was an oversold channel that caused slow internet before. Now possibly oversold header.

And yes my defacto for Troubleshooting is running straight off the drop, wired to a netbook, with a clean install on that netbook that is only for diagnostics. Since netbooks are so small and that makes them unusable

it was around 6 pm when this issue started and thats when the hardcore wire swapping at the header was performed with the escallation team with my issue.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
For tv transmission you don't need a system to re transmit errors so yes, all errors would be "dropped packets", so to speak. You just have a hiccup and the tv show keeps on going.

Modems request a re transmission of corrupted packets, but the correctables are actually referring to the symbols used. Not exactly the same thing as the tcp/ip re transmission, but close. When you get bad symbols, the cipher used in transmission allows for the modem to rebuild a couple of the symbols so no re transmission is needed. (those are correctable symbols) When you have too many in a row the cipher breaks and can't rebuild and basically drops the whole packets for retransmission.

So basically, yes and no, lol

As far as being oversold, it's basic business really. If you're in a town that sees daily usage of X bandwidth, then the system will be designed around allowing for X bandwidth with some percentage of growth. From a strictly business and financial standpoint, it makes little to no sense to physically expand a plant to allow for the increased bandwidth during Christmas week and have it go 75% idle 50 weeks of the year. Yes there are towns out there that have outgrown the allotted growth percentage and are waiting on more bandwidth to be purchased, but ALL isp are shared at one point and WILL saturate with enough concurrent usage.

(I was also reading your last post here as saying you're only having the bandwidth problem during the holiday with increased population in town. The old problem was fixed?)
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
Oversold. Fcc2012 requires for 4 mbit at all times to be called high speed broadband on wired connections (including peak times, unless there is a communications issue) cant believe 2008 guides allowed 128k symetrical to be called high speed broadband but to go from 20 mbit to crap they did something

heck 1 hr ago cable went out entirely for a minute or 2 and now it looks like my modem is provisioned to its proper 15.
but like before I kinda expect it to drop. But wouldn't be surprised if they undid what they did last friday.
And somebody checked the provisions and corrected 20 to shut me up before down to proper 15.

it screams (full 20-21mbit) for about 15 mins and drops to crappy 1.5 to3 and bounces from that to 6-7 last night.
now its just screaming full 15-16mbit and been a half hour.

We shall see what kind of tap dancing around the truth they do this time.

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
Do you know what your here for.
"cable and internet issues is all my notes say"
Be prepared to freeze your balls off because we are going out back to the drop I called back 3 times to make sure you got detailed notes.
apparently you don't communicate amongst yourselves so
(Insert issue here)
"We don't know what happened sir when was this wifi/modem replaced last"
in may.
"Well its 1.5 yrs old its due to be replaced"
It is only 6 months old may and no wifi.
"I never saw a cable modem like that before"
WTF dude you never saw an arris 822.
"Nope we don't know devices customers buy since they vary"
Well its your device get somebody out here that knows something about your own equipment and wont blame stuff on things you blamed it on the modem without touching it.
I don't know what a subnet is or why your ip changed drastically when issues started and when they stopped
But after guy hooking his tool for tools calls maintenance since sups and esc team are on vacation."
Maintenance says give him the phone number and when it happens again they will be out day or night (sure they will just like before I will leave a message and they wont see it happen)
called maintenance for the MTU size and they dont know it nephew kinda stashed it somewhere with his drumstick.

Love thinking to myself So glad I have sequential fiber at my house. Vs only option is cable or 1.5 mbit DsL not useable for atreaming.
No slowdowns no peak time Bull$ no oversold network since its engineered for 2x the sold data that is hardly used. Way to go Plateau (now if they can upgrade to LTE I would swap wireless carriers).

now its turned into a rant vs tech issue.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Well that came out about as well as a drunk text message.

You lost me about half way through and I gave up reading around the point where your nephew stashed your mtu size in something with a drumstick.....

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
Actually done drunk on a phone.

But anyhow.
It came back.
The Line Tech came with his Docsis 2 (D2) got bouncing speeds, still faster on the Docsis 3 (D3) in a side by side test. Took forever for him to get his laptop to get internet working on his D2.
Wanted to drop off a Diagnostic D2 modem but it bonds to a completely diff frequency than the D3 (which he had to be reminded of) so hopefully a new D3 will be supplied.

So no answer on why speeds are slow.
Had better luck changing the MTU to 256 to get a consistent 4 mbit speed which will work for now.
Line Tech is due to work on the amp tomorrow when I expect the issue will magically disappear and they still wont know what's happening.

At least he got to spend 2.5 hrs staring at a computer screen in the freezing cold on New Years.

TurboNerd

Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TurboNerd
Gotta love it.
They oversold the D3 channels, probably after everybody who jumped from the D2 channel installed or upgraded to D3 due to an oversold D2.
Their solution now is to Hop back onto the undersold D2.

Probably until everybody who installed (but not upgraded to) D3 hops back to D2 and Oversells that channel again.

But "a new node is pending I cannot guarantee a date but its coming soon"
I asked how soon is soon sometimes coming soon means 5 years
He actually gave a timeframe "approximate timeframe of 3 to 6 months until then the D2 should be fine"
Meanwhile I reminded the tech just last week he said there were no issues with oversold or other D3 customers having issues.

I love the suddenlink business model, oversell, and when someone complains rebalance the network to reduce customer complaints instead of upgrading to prevent customer issues.