spc
Search similar:

uniqs
FootLoose61
join:2002-04-17
Saint Marys, GA

FootLoose61

Want to replace my V1000H

I have an ASUS RT-N66U router that I would like to use in place of the Actiontec V1000H that was installed by my ISP (TDS). My service provides IPTV as well as internet service. The IPTV feeds a Cisco ISB7550 DVR plus a 4 non DVR Cisco set top boxes. TDS support has told me that I can use my own router to feed my house and that no special configuration needs to be performed but they will not support other than their configurations. The WAN link is straight DHCP, as a test I have plugged a computer into the WAN port and am able to surf the internet without a problem.

My problem is that as soon as I hook up the RT-N66U everything connects fine but after 6-12 hours I am experiencing signal drops and pixilation on the set-top boxes and very slow internet speed. I have enabled multicast routing and efficient multicast forwarding. I changed firmware from latest from ASUS and latest from Merlin with no change in the behavior.

I am at a loss and hoping that someone here can help me out.
Thanks in advance.

R32Raines
Premium Member
join:2003-03-01
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines

Premium Member

I have attempted in the past to get the RT-N66U working with TDS IPTV, when it had Merlin and stock firmwares. I could never get it to work correctly.

However, if you install DD-WRT on it, it gets many more options. This may work as I was able to configure a Netgear WNDR3700 with DD-WRT to work correctly with TDS. They have similar options. I never tried it with the Asus though, as it now is only my wireless AP, but I am running DD-WRT on it.

I have read that the stock Asus firmware and the Merlin firmware aren't quite up to par for Multicast routing/IGMP.

Another option you could do, if you have an older spare PC, is install PFSense on it, use it as your router and the Asus as a wireless AP as I am doing. PFSense is very easy to set up with TDS internet, and I have created a guide to configure the IPTV service to work with it.

Guide is here... »TDS IPTV Service using PFSense - Configuration Instructions

Good luck with it.
FootLoose61
Saint Marys, GA

FootLoose61

Well that sucks. I wonder if I can add the port forwards to the N66U's firewall. If not looks like I will need to buy me another brand of router. The V1000H needs to be replaced it a POS, the wireless range sucks and the WAN speed is not consistent. I bought the N66U based on high reviews but never saw that the IGMP was not up to par.

Thanks for the reply

R32Raines
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines to FootLoose61

Premium Member

to FootLoose61
Might be worth giving DD-WRT a shot on it before spending more money. Outside of IGMP, the N66U is a fantastic router.
FootLoose61
Saint Marys, GA

FootLoose61

I gave the DD-WRT a go with and it behaved the same as the stock and Merlin firmware. Oh well I guess I have to put up with the poor performance of the TDS router.

R32Raines
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines to FootLoose61

Premium Member

to FootLoose61
That stinks. I might have to reconfigure my N66U to see if I can get it to work.

I agree though, the V1000H sucks. You should get/buy a cheap, older computer and just use PFSense.
FootLoose61
Saint Marys, GA

FootLoose61

If you figure it out be sure to let me know. I would love to us the N66U, right now it is just sitting on a shelf.

Thanks for all you assistance thus far.