Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to Booost

Re: [Appliances] sanitizing ice makers

said by Booost :

Want to see some nasty ice makers, watch Restaurant Impossible. One of the show's producers says she will never, ever use ice from a restaurant again.

I was in the restaurant business for a long time and no we never sanitized the ice machine unless something went wrong. The gross part is the ice bin which has ice almost always in it and people stick whatever in there to get the ice out day after day. Want to bet something unsanitized went in there to scoop ice??? You bet it did.

Actually health inspectors always look for this and it's the cold plate in the beverage ice bin. It will grow black mold under the plate over time even if it's iced always. You are supposed to have a regular cleaning time but rarely does that happen. Restaurants get sighted all the time for that one.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Corehhi:

Actually health inspectors always look for this and it's the cold plate in the beverage ice bin. It will grow black mold under the plate over time even if it's iced always.

Oh yea, I have a small Scotsman under-counter in the utility room with a cold plate in the bottom for my soda system, well I let it go for about a year or so and decided maybe it is time for a good rinsing, I scooped the ice into a cooler and began to rinse the rest down the drain with a garden hose, the stream of water from the nozzle went under the cold plate and it blasted out the back this nasty black crud, which I think was algae.

Needless to say out came the rubber gloves, a 3m scrubber and some pool bleach.

Just gross, and yes after seeing that crud in there, the ice in the cooler got dumper, just because.