how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bon Scott

join:2009-09-12
kudos:1

Power supply to USB 3 card cable?

I bought this USB 3 card to upgrade transfer speeds on my computer. »www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8···ort.html

Using just one device it doesn't require connection to the PSU. However....I want to connect a two more external hard drives.....so.....I need to connect it to the power supply. Here is the power supply I use: »www.avadirect.com/product_detail···ID=14507

My question is......what kind of cable do I need to buy to connect the USB 3 card to the power supply? Keep in mind.....I have built one computer in my life.....years ago. Go slow with me. I'm not as computer savvy as you folks.

Thank you.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
It has a SATA power connector. You will just need to take one from the PS and plug it in assuming you have an extra. It should be black and flat and will most likely be the same connector going to your HD and DVD drives unless you are on a very old system.

If you do not have any additional SATA power plugs available, let us know... you will need to get a SATA power splitter to create the additional plug.

Bon Scott

said by Veloslave:

It has a SATA power connector. You will just need to take one from the PS and plug it in assuming you have an extra. It should be black and flat and will most likely be the same connector going to your HD and DVD drives unless you are on a very old system.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3534/6560.sata_2D00_hard_2D00_drive_2D00_power_2D00_cable_2D00_connector.jpg

I don't think there is one available that isn't already used on something. What do I do in that case?

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to Bon Scott

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12200468

You will unplug a SATA powered device as close to the USB card as possible... take the plug you unplugged and plug it into the splitter above and then take the two identical plugs and use those to power what you unplugged plus the USB card.

THIS MUST BE DONE POWERED DOWN!

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to Bon Scott
Your power supply shows NINE SATA connectors... you need to look in the case and find some tucked away that are not in use... I am pretty sure that would be the case.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17371017

Bon Scott

You have no idea how grateful I am to you for helping me. I'm going to take a look around in that computer and see if I can find one tucked away somewhere.

Bon Scott

reply to Bon Scott
Well Veloslave you saved me. I looked in the box that PC shipped in (custom made by AVA who did a gorgeous job 4 years ago)....and there was a cable that I plugged into the back of the power supply and then SATA connector to the USB 3 card. Fired up the PC and man is that USB 3 fast compared to USB 2 on my PC. I'm thrilled about this.

Thank you very much.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
Ah, sweet news Bon!

I keep seeing killer deals on the cards... and am all ready to pull the trigger and then I keep realizing I don't have anything 3.0 to use with it yet.

I have cut back on consulting/side work these days so most of my work gets done at the office... at least I get someone else to buy it there. I have a Mac Book Pro from work (am more of a Windows guy but... I digress) and I haven't used the Thunderbolt port yet.

I guess I will wait until my next USB Flash drive purchase... been with a 32Gb Swiss Army keyring/knife/etc unit and it is just too nice to replace. I am always looking for an "all in one" mini pocket knife/tool/USB Drive to replace it... and even at almost any price, I haven't met its match.

Soon as my dream 128 or 256Gb flash drive comes along... the 3.0 card will go in.

What are you using with it?
--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

Bon Scott

I use to connect my external HD and also to load photos and video onto my PC. Make a HUGE difference. I'm very, very happy. Thank you.

labattman

join:2012-03-15
Beamsville, ON
I had to replace my PC last year, new one came with both 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports. Wanted to do an image backup, size would be 54GB which would require about 14 DVD's. Went out and purchased an external HD, WD 1TB which would run using 3.0 or 2.0 USB. The image backup only took less than 8 minutes including build of image and writing to disk. 3.0 is much faster than 2.0.