uniqs
share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to wayjac

Re: [Modem] Upgrade ATT 7550 firmware using Frontier?

Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period.

I'll say it again, loading a Frontier firmware on an AT&T unit may permanently remove it from the Uverse network. (if it's like the moto boxes, the firmware will be confused by having the wrong "sku" -- vendor model. Firmware doesn't touch the manufacturing section of flash, 'tho it may look in different places.)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by cramer:

Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period

I agree uverse uses a different method for authentication.
The netgear 7550 is not a uverse modem.
The netgear 7550 is a pppoe modem

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

Uverse is dot1x certificate authenticated - period

I agree uverse uses a different method for authentication.
att still uses pppoe with its legacy dsl accounts
The netgear 7550 is not a uverse modem.
The netgear 7550 is a pppoe modem

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to wayjac
The moto 2210 is a "dsl" modem too, but AT&T made the "-1ATT" firmware that made it PTM capable. They could've done the same thing to the 7500, not that it matters...

There is the possibility the Frontier setup will not work on the AT&T network due to a different ATM PVC setup -- I've not seen a Frontier screen showing the VPI/VCI. I know Verizon and AT&T use different (incompat) PVC's. The full model number indicates what provider it belongs to, so, as others have said, it may not accept the firmware, and if you do mange it, it could confuse it to the point it's not usable.

Bottom line: don't try it unless you're willing to throw it away should it not work.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by cramer:

The moto 2210 is a "dsl" modem too

When discussing att modems the full model number should be used
said by cramer:

but AT&T made the "-1ATT" firmware that made it PTM capable. They could've done the same thing to the 7500, not that it matters...

When AT&T made the 2210-02- compatible with uverse they changed the "firmware" and changed the color of the plastic case

said by cramer:

There is the possibility the Frontier setup will not work on the AT&T network due to a different ATM PVC setup -- I've not seen a Frontier screen showing the VPI/VCI. I know Verizon and AT&T use different (incompat) PVC's

Frontier uses the same vpi/vci that the 13 state att regions use 0/35

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Eventually, yes, they changed the case, but originally, it was the exact same hardware. (I have a burned up one around here somewhere. Model: 2210-02-1ATT You could even load the non-uverse fw on it, but you'd never be able to get it back to the "-1ATT" model.)

My DSL line is using 8/35, but it is about a decade old. (and I'm running PPPoA on it. that doesn't work everywhere.)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by cramer:

My DSL line is using 8/35, but it is about a decade old

When att acquired bellsouth they didn't change the vpi/vci
said by cramer:

(and I'm running PPPoA on it. that doesn't work everywhere.)

When att acquired bellsouth they didn't eliminate the ability to use pppoa

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
In some places they did, but since they have Uverse now, the legacy DSL equipment is left to rot. (read: no upgrades, or changes. and no new attachments, apparently.)