how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AliS29

@skybroadband.com

PPTPD VPN Speed Issue

Hi all,

I hope someone can shed some light on an issue I am having with my newly set up vpn. Basically I can connect both internally and externally with no issues however when I come in from an external connection browsing smb shares is painfully slow!

I have ran a speed test for both internal and external connections and while internally my speed drop is minimal when externally connected I get 0.60Mbps DL and 0.90Mbps UL!

I'm pretty sure I've ruled out an MTU issue using test pings etc but I'm pretty stumped on this one. Is it possible my ISP is throttling my VPN? is my usual line 1Mbps UL speed causing the problem?

Or am I missing something integral from the pptpd-options file?

FYI I have installed this on a raspberry pi using a standard setup (I.E no NAT rules etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ali

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Do some simple testing to see whether it is really the VPN that is to blame for your problem.

Instead of using a SMB/CIFS share, upload/download a large file through your VPN connection using ftp, http (or similar low-overhead protocol) and see how long it takes. If that works fine then it is the latency of the VPN tunnel that causes problems when used with chatty protocols designed for local area networks.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to AliS29

Seconded.

2PCs + iperf + your Raspbery Pi. Keep your internet connection out of it to minimize variables.
Test until something either cries uncle or goes up in flames.

Regards

Ali29m

@skybroadband.com
reply to leibold

Unfortunately I don't have access to multiple pc's. As a test a tried to access my nas via http and had the same slow results so don't think it's protocol related. Any other suggestions would be welcome! Ps thanks for the advice!