ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

[Auto] Michael Schumacher, ex-F1 champion, critical after ski fall

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/world ··· 25545993

Crazy after racing for so long that this would happen.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Horrible news.

Hob

Pjr
Don't Panic
join:2005-12-11
UK

Pjr to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Sad news. First reports said he wasn't badly injured but to find out he's now in a coma following brain surgery is shocking.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Stig!

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by capecoddah:

Stig!

Indeed.

For those who don't get the reference:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dTXrXsBc

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
While not my fav - this is indeed not good news and hope he gets better soon.

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Rainier, WA

maximus_808 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I pray for Michaels recovery. I consider him the greatest driver of all time any discipline. While I'm sure many will dispute that I can't help but wonder if he will become as beloved as another 7 time champion has since his passing. My second favorite driver all time Dale Earnhardt. There attitudes on the track seemed similar to me not to mention how the other drivers at the time felt about each of them.
Like I said before I pray for his recovery.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

Soho97UK to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

The impact of Michael Schumacher’s fall was so severe that his ski helmet “broke in two” when his head hit a rock, according to a source close to the investigation into the accident.

“He was skiing at full speed when he fell, and the helmet broke in two,” the source said. “It could have been the impact, or there could have been a problem with the helmet. He could easily have been going at 80 kilometres an hour (50 mph).”

Emergency workers confirmed that his helmet had split. “When we got there, Schumacher’s helmet was broken and we saw a lot of blood,” one said.

Rest of article...

At the press conference this morning I think the hospital said there was bleeding all over his brain.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Apparently he is doing a little better. Had a second brain surgery and apparently the swelling went down more than they expected.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Soho97UK:

Emergency workers confirmed that his helmet had split. "When we got there, Schumacher’s helmet was broken and we saw a lot of blood," one said.

Damn, thats a massive impact... even if he does end up surviving, who knows what kind of long term damage he could have, and what kind of quality of life he will enjoy.

At least he can afford top quality doctors.

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
His helmet broke in half or apart? I'd like to get additional verification on that.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Here's an update.

»www.sportsnet.ca/auto-ra ··· ovement/

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Domane

MVM

to Domane

Re: [Auto] Michael Schumacher, ex-F1 champion, critical after ski fall

Cracked but enough to allow his head to strike the rock. Though from the stories hard to tell if his actual head hit the rock or the cracked helmet hit the rock.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

I am skeptical of the Telegraph's details such as:
quote:
“He was skiing at full speed when he fell, and the helmet broke in two,” the source said. “It could have been the impact, or there could have been a problem with the helmet. He could easily have been going at 80 kilometres an hour (50 mph).”
Prima facie it "sounds" like typical English tabloid style reporting and then we have from Schumacher's manager:
quote:
Schumacher’s manager, Sabine Kehm, offered more details on the accident, confirming that his helmet cracked on impact.

“It looks like probably that initiating a corner, he was hitting a stone which he had not seen and was catapulted down on a rock,” Kehm said in English. “That is extremely and very unfortunate … really very, very bad luck. Michael was not at high speed.”
Which at this point sounds more reasonable to you? The two versions are certainly significantly different. Cracked or broke in two? Regarding his speed on the slope, "not at high speed" v "50 MPH."

Whatever, eventually those details will be clearly detailed later.

As for Schumacher, even if he survives one at this point at to be prepared for the possibility of significant brain injury with permanent impairment.

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr

said by Domane:

I am skeptical of the Telegraph's details such as:

quote:
"He was skiing at full speed when he fell, and the helmet broke in two," the source said. "It could have been the impact, or there could have been a problem with the helmet. He could easily have been going at 80 kilometres an hour (50 mph)."
Prima facie it "sounds" like typical English tabloid style reporting...

It is typical tabloid reporting. Who is the source? Why hasn't he been named? Did the source want to be anonymous or did the reporter think revealing the source would cast doubt on the source's credibility?

Domane
Premium Member

1 edit

Domane

Premium Member

No updates for public planned today by his doctors. However, today his manager speaking again about the accident said:
quote:
Kehm added that the accident itself, details of which had yet to emerge since it happened on Sunday, was more a case of bad luck than anything else. When turning a corner, he hit a rock but was not traveling at a high speed.
»motorsportstalk.nbcsport ··· related/

Addendum: If it hasn't all ready been mentioned in a post he was skiing off the designated trail when the accident happen. Skiers were warned about skiing off trail due to trees and in addition rocks hidden just below a layer of snow.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Instead, he had been going relatively slowly along with his son, the two of them skiing as part of a large group - and had stopped to help a friend in difficulties just before the accident.

"Michael and the group had been skiing on normal slopes. In between red and blue slopes there was an [off-piste] area and they went into that," Kehm said.

"He helped a friend who had fallen and went into deep snow, hit a rock and was catapulted into the air and landed head down. It was extreme bad luck, not because he was at speed."

Kehm also added that Schumacher's helmet - which doctors credited with giving the driver a chance of survival - had cracked in two during the accident. Helmets are designed to crack on impact in order to absorb force.
So helmets are supposed to crack on impact.

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/n ··· -f1.html

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr

said by CylonRed:

So helmets are supposed to crack on impact.

I had to search for more info about that and found this:
said by »www.evo.com/ski-snowboar ··· ide.aspx :

Most helmets are designed for a single large impact. In the occurrence of an impact where the hard foam interior collapses or cracks to soften impact, the helmet should be replaced as it is no longer safe. There are some helmets designed for multiple impacts. Made with a softer foam, these helmets are not certified for snow nor will they protect as well in larger impacts. Bern Hard Harts are an example of this.

said by »uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/n ··· -f1.html :

It was extreme bad luck, not because he was at speed.

which shows how appalling some of the journalism is in the UK. There's a saying over here that goes "never believe anything you read in the papers".

Back on topic... No improvement is far better than a slight deterioration.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
UK

Soho97UK to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
said by Domane:

Prima facie it "sounds" like typical English tabloid style reporting ...

From other comments you have made you seem to think the entire UK press bases its standards on tabloid reporting which would be an incorrect assumption. The Telegraph is a relatively serious and reliable newspaper, in this case it is more likely their source provided incomplete/inaccurate information rather than any deliberate attempt by the journalist to mislead.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

said by Soho97UK:

said by Domane:

Prima facie it "sounds" like typical English tabloid style reporting ...

From other comments you have made you seem to think the entire UK press bases its standards on tabloid reporting which would be an incorrect assumption. The Telegraph is a relatively serious and reliable newspaper, in this case it is more likely their source provided incomplete/inaccurate information rather than any deliberate attempt by the journalist to mislead.

LOL. England is the First World capital of tabloid press. No one else even comes close. The Telegraphs story and evidence speaks for itself. The story they printed was tabloid news. Did they corroborate the story their "source" told? (Rule number one in journalism 101.) Doesn't appear so. Why not. The answer is obvious.

Meanwhile back to Michael Schumacher no new developments or change in his condition reported which is in of itself good news given his injury.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
UK

1 edit

Soho97UK

Premium Member

You're just underlining the fact you don't know much about UK journalism. The Telegraph is not a tabloid, the journalist was BBC Paris reporter David Chazan.

Domane
Premium Member

2 edits

Domane

Premium Member

I know the Telegraph. I know English journalism. The story speaks for itself and the story was bad journalism for some of the reasons I mentioned in "Journalism 101." My opinion is shared by other posters including a UK member. (Guess he doesn't know the Telegraph either?)

Just because a paper or journalists also does regular or good news and or journalism but also mixes in tabloid or shoddy journalism content doesn't alter the fact the paper practices or the journalist practices at times tabloid style "reporting." It matters not want medium they are. There is a reason why so many English journalist flee the country to work in other nation markets for that nation's media.

England is the tabloid capital of the First World. The whole country is terrible in that category. Has been at least for my adult life time. When I lived and worked in England I used to be entertained reading the headlines of the all the papers walking the streets of London where when I was there papers were sold it seemed on every corner. Even the BBC has gone into the toilet compared to years past as far as their overall quality of journalism. (No I'm not saying they are a tabloid organization.) They are, however, more a medium with an agenda and spin editorializing compared to the old days when they were the only major news source before they started getting competition from private broadcast competition! (On TV it was as I recall ITV.)

Like I said getting back to the Schumacher story that triggered this discussion and its inaccuracies as well as the style or type of specific inaccuracies--it was a tabloid story. It was in the Telegraph. It was written by a BBC correspondent. Case closed.

Perhaps you just are so used to English tabloid journalism you can't discern the what's what in that area?

Meanwhile let me go and see what's new on Michael today. Besides he's the real topic here anyway.

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

1 recommendation

Pjr to Soho97UK

to Soho97UK
said by Soho97UK:

You're just underlining the fact you don't know much about UK journalism. The Telegraph is not a tabloid, the journalist was BBC Paris reporter David Chazan.

OK, it's a broadsheet rather than a tabloid but that sensationalist report wouldn't have been out of place in the Mirror or Sun.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
UK

Soho97UK

Premium Member

Needless to say I disagree with your(and Ryan SC's) interpretation of the article as "tabloid" however I don't particularly want to steer the thread off-topic so will draw things to a close ...

Pjr
Don't Panic
UK

Pjr to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Investigators in France are examining a camera which had been fixed to the ski helmet of injured Formula 1 driver Michael Schumacher, media reports say.

Authorities were hoping the device may reveal clues about the circumstances of his skiing accident in the French Alps, a source told the AFP news agency.

News of the camera's existence emerged late on Friday afternoon.

AFP said Schumacher's family had handed both the device and helmet to the authorities for investigation.

It remains unclear whether the camera was switched on at the time of the accident.

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/world ··· 25597961

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
The helmets are designed to self destruct in order to absorb the energy from the impact. I did an end-over on my bike a few years back, went flying head first into the pavement. The helmet split, but no head injury.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Pjr

MVM

to Pjr
Someone has also claimed they have video of the accident from his cell phone. They are trying to get that video as well.

Addison12
join:2013-10-14
New York, NY

Addison12 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
The latest news coming from France about his health are satisfactory and I hope that he will fully recover from this accident sooner rather than later.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
In the past 48 hours numerous media sources are coming out with stories about Schumacher's prognosis and they are all bad. The German, French, and UK sources, some of which quote opinions of brain injury and neurologists or neurosurgeons are stating that given the length of time Schumacher has been in a coma and the various procedures done on him by his physicians does not bode well for him. He is now being projected by many as unlikely to ever come out of the coma to if he does he will be significantly and permanently impaired or handicapped as well as a different person.

A web search will reveal new or amended stories coming out rapidly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Damn, thats terrible...