join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to limegrass69

to limegrass69

Re: Optimum Smart Router Offer

I've got some doubts about OOL provisioning a separate service flow for the optimumwifi nonsense. I don't believe my modem ever rebooted after ordering and setting up the smart router, however I may be wrong. I did see "Service Delete rejected - Service flow not found;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;" a week or so later though. Not sure what this is. From my understanding, OOL reboots the modem when you change your tier of service. They rebooted my modem on the spot when I upgraded from basic OOL to Ultra 50 a couple months back. I believe this has always been the case (and yes, I know you can change things on the CMTS side, but I don't think OOL is set up this way).

Also, wouldn't you have to provision this second tier of service over a separate interface? I fail to see them provisioning a second 15/4 pipe over the same ethernet interface, unless they were "tagging" the traffic from the two SSIDs. Maybe some kind of trunking or VLAN magic at work here? Still doubting it.

Lastly, wouldn't you notice some kind of degradation of WiFi throughput, as you're broadcasting over a second SSID on the same channel? You're basically just adding more clients to the WLAN.

Please bash me if I'm wrong.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Have you managed to connect via the hotspot SSID yet?

A router can support several public WAN IPs, as an example the static routers support up to 27. They would have different MAC addresses on the router and the Modem would associate the service stream with the MAC addresses. Thinkdiff See Profile mentioned the BSSID is different for the OOLwi-fi see the link below on BSSID. The modem already associates a differdnt MAC with a different service flow for VOIP.

»www.juniper.net/techpubs ··· sid.html

All of this would be done in the config file, so I believe you are correct a reboot is required. If you can not connect the flows may not have been set up. If you can connect check via the Dslreports tool your public IP. See if it is different via the hotspot.

Whether wi-fi speeds would degrade would depend on the max bandwidth of the router.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht to Elite

to Elite
said by Elite:

I've got some doubts about OOL provisioning a separate service flow for the optimumwifi nonsense. I don't believe my modem ever rebooted after ordering and setting up the smart router, however I may be wrong. I did see "Service Delete rejected - Service flow not found;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;" a week or so later though. Not sure what this is. From my understanding, OOL reboots the modem when you change your tier of service. They rebooted my modem on the spot when I upgraded from basic OOL to Ultra 50 a couple months back. I believe this has always been the case (and yes, I know you can change things on the CMTS side, but I don't think OOL is set up this way).

Also, wouldn't you have to provision this second tier of service over a separate interface? I fail to see them provisioning a second 15/4 pipe over the same ethernet interface, unless they were "tagging" the traffic from the two SSIDs. Maybe some kind of trunking or VLAN magic at work here? Still doubting it.

Lastly, wouldn't you notice some kind of degradation of WiFi throughput, as you're broadcasting over a second SSID on the same channel? You're basically just adding more clients to the WLAN.

Please bash me if I'm wrong.

double checked today, the wifi service flows are there. set at 19.5dn 4.4 up