spc
uniqs

radek row
@206.47.249.x

radek row to battleop

Anon

to battleop

Re: [Electrical] Code question

why do people want to take the "SHORTCUT" And run an appliance power cable through a wall, when the amount of work and effort to do that you can easily string a piece of romex through the wall and attach a proper electrical outlet to plug in your tv and thus meeting canadian electrical code requirements, dont forget to turn off the breaker in your hydro panel before connecting the live wires, i know someone who didnt and got a shock of his life time, thankfully hes alive

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"why do people want to take the "SHORTCUT" And run an appliance power cable through a wal"

Probably because many people are scared of working in a panel because so many people make such a huge deal about consulting a professional. That makes it sound scary dangerous compared to running a cord through a hole in the wall will probably never come close to getting warm enough to catch fire.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to radek row

to radek row
said by radek row :

why do people want to take the "SHORTCUT" And run an appliance power cable through a wall, when the amount of work and effort to do that you can easily string a piece of romex through the wall and attach a proper electrical outlet to plug in your tv and thus meeting canadian electrical code requirements, dont forget to turn off the breaker in your hydro panel before connecting the live wires, i know someone who didnt and got a shock of his life time, thankfully hes alive

You can't easily do that though. In Massachusetts here that requires a permit. In some cities that means a licensed professional. Now your hitting the minimums so the job is going to be ~$150 plus $10-15 for a permit. Not to mention you might need to take time off work to deal with stuff. Most electricians charge like $50 to pull the permit on jobs under like $500-1,000 so you have to take time off work or pay extra to get the permit. That 'easy' job is now going to cost you like $200-225 bucks. Just cutting a hole and popping a cord through costs zero. The alternative is do the work without a permit. I wouldn't trust most people's DIY electrical work myself. That might cause a larger problem then a cord through the wall. You do the math there.

Kordz
@70.65.252.x

Kordz

Anon

In my old house for my wall mount I had all av And power cord run through a hole behind the tv. Zip tied down along the stud and then back out a hole behind the components. The other side of the wall was unfinished I dint know if that "technically" makes a difference or not. But my tv power cord went through not one put two holes in dry wall. Luckily I lived to tell this story.

radek row
@206.47.249.x

radek row to 02778712

Anon

to 02778712
said by 02778712:

You can't easily do that though. In Massachusetts here that requires a permit. In some cities that means a licensed professional. Now your hitting the minimums so the job is going to be ~$150 plus $10-15 for a permit. Not to mention you might need to take time off work to deal with stuff. Most electricians charge like $50 to pull the permit on jobs under like $500-1,000 so you have to take time off work or pay extra to get the permit. That 'easy' job is now going to cost you like $200-225 bucks. Just cutting a hole and popping a cord through costs zero. The alternative is do the work without a permit. I wouldn't trust most people's DIY electrical work myself. That might cause a larger problem then a cord through the wall. You do the math there.

why take time off work? cant you wait till you get home from work in the afternoon and make the appointment for the contractor to show up then? makes logical sense to me, or have him come by on a weekend or your day off, you must have atleast 2 days off in a week, no?
radek row

radek row

Anon

if you really want a tv wall mounted then u need to make a decision is it worth running the wire through the wall and getting the necessary permits (onyl applies to massachusis) here in ontario and the rest of canada or usa permits are not required so we can do it easy, otherwise just stick the extention cord and run it down (not in your wall) your wall which will meet code but be ugly, so if u want it to look nice you must pony up some $$$
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned) to radek row

to radek row
said by radek row :

said by 02778712:

why take time off work? cant you wait till you get home from work in the afternoon and make the appointment for the contractor to show up then? makes logical sense to me, or have him come by on a weekend or your day off, you must have atleast 2 days off in a week, no?

Have to go to the CITY for a PERMIT during business hours so you have to take time off to pull your own permit. I think you're confused about something.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

Its also about insurance companies... Have a fire in your house that's been isolated to an illegal power cord ran in the walls for your tv might give them an out for paying your damages!
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by datguy11 :

Its also about insurance companies... Have a fire in your house that's been isolated to an illegal power cord ran in the walls for your tv might give them an out for paying your damages!

Play the lottery. You have better odds if you want to worry about insanely impossible events happening. I bet you have better odds of being struck by lightning, being mauled by a black bear, AND being mauled by a brown bear all on the same day. I'd definitely worry about it though!