spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chugger93
join:2005-10-06
Macomb, MI

chugger93

[Info] Cisco Learning - Books, etc

Can someone provide any recommendations on maybe some books to get started with learning?

»www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8 ··· zilla-20

I'm not starting off knowing absolutely zero, but I do want to start to learn the right way. I feel like looking everything up on the interwebs is just not efficient.

Thoughts?
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

My self-study approach was with Pearson Education.

»www.pearsonitcertificati ··· =1652340
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
I assume you like free study guide. One approach I was able to make sense of during my early stages in learning Cisco and network in general is to create homework for myself; trying to get certain network design to work in order to fulfill certain needs.

For instance, let's say I want to restrict traffic flow from one broadcast domain to another. A starting point would be creating ACL as needed. Go through this forum's FAQ which has good deal of ACL sample implementation; such as Basic Internet Firewall, setting up DMZ, and router access restrictions.

Yes, this forum's FAQ is free to access and is available to anyone who are interested
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
I'd start with the Cisco Press CCNA learning and lab books. With the lab books, as aryoba See Profile says, you'll go thru and learn how to
make a configuration / topology / etc work. Then as you get a handle on that, break something and try and troubleshoot it.

The troubleshooting part is the kicker... and the part that REALLY tests whether you know your stuff or not.

My 00000010bits

Regards

weeksben1
Premium Member
join:2004-02-26
Clarkston, MI
Cisco 2921
ARRIS NVG589

weeksben1 to chugger93

Premium Member

to chugger93
As the other posters have stated, I'd start with the Cisco Press CCNA titles, and assocated lab guides. Its also good to know where to look things up on the web as well. I (for one) have had to spend many lunch hours on the Cisco TAC web site just looking over sample configurations of things I needed to do. As those configurations on the Cisco TAC website not only have the configurations, but also (and just as important) a basic explanation about the configurations. One other tool I'd consider is a Cisco IOS emulator called GNS3 (though you have to supply the copy of IOS software to load on it). It can be a great learning (and testing) tool.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to chugger93

MVM

to chugger93
When I did my CCNA self study I had a book by Todd Lammle. It came highly recommended, and I'd agree, at the time.

Unfortunately its been a long time and Im not sure whether it still holds true. But worth reading up some reviews.

Otherwise one would have to expect that Ciscos own books would do the business.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Todd Lammle for me too...
chugger93
join:2005-10-06
Macomb, MI

chugger93

Think I'm gonna start off with this book:

»www.amazon.com/CCNA-Rout ··· le+cisco

Thanks everyone
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

That looks like the current Todd Lammle offering.

mikeyb4760
Premium Member
join:2004-09-25
El Cajon, CA

mikeyb4760 to chugger93

Premium Member

to chugger93
be careful Lammle's current book, ccna routing and switching study guide is rife with errors.

In fact I'm going to toss one out there because I don't know the answer:

Lammle sez when you ping an ipv6 interface the syntax is:

ping ipv6 address

According to Graziani of Cisco Press this is incorrect--you don't use the ipv6 designation

Does anybody know

Thanks!

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by mikeyb4760:

Does anybody know

here's the results pulled right from my 2821 running a 6-to-4 tunnel.

tubby2821#sh run int tun1 | i ipv6 address
 ipv6 address 2001:470:X:XX::2/64
tubby2821#ping 2001:470:X:X::1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:470:X:X::1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/23/24 ms
tubby2821#ping ipv6 2001:470:X:XX::1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:470:X:XX::1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/20/24 ms
tubby2821#

works both ways for me.

q.
tubbynet

tubbynet to TomS_

MVM

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Otherwise one would have to expect that Ciscos own books would do the business.

usually these are written by wendell odom. some people love him. some people hate him. there usually isn't much middle ground.

i enjoy the way he writes, as he does a deep dive in each topic rather than gradually working down into each topic as appropriate.

to each their own.

its just important to reinforce reading with labs (packettracer, gns3, boson netsim, actual hardware, etc).

q.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to mikeyb4760

MVM

to mikeyb4760
In any certification exam passing attempt, it is not always about what you know it is true or field-proven true. Most of the time it is instead about what the answer evaluators define as "true answers"

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to mikeyb4760

Premium Member

to mikeyb4760
said by mikeyb4760:

Does anybody know

Depends; are you pinging from IOS or from a Windows client or a Linux client? All are different. (And yes, client tools like ping and traceroute are fair game on Cisco exams.)

IOS: ping ipv6
Windows: ping -6
Linux: ping6

P.S. If any doubt on IOS, refer to the official Cisco docs. (Reality may differ...)

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to chugger93

Premium Member

to chugger93
i used Chris Bryant books and video for my recert worked well.
$44 boot camp videos and $9 for each icnd study guide....

»www.thebryantadvantage.com/
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074

said by smunro622:

i used Chris Bryant books and video for my recert worked well.
$44 boot camp videos and $9 for each icnd study guide....

»www.thebryantadvantage.com/

I second Chris Bryant's books. Used his route and switch guide for CCNP. Very clear and even a little humor. I'd rather cut myself than use the Cisco Press books. I've tried to get through them but... Just poorly written in my opinion.