share rss forum feed

dbamber

join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink

[Electrical] Coincidence or ?????

On September 12 our power company APS replaced our meter. The tech who did the swap didn't inform us. Even though we were at home, and the garage door next to the meter & circuit breaker panel is next to the open garage with two cars inside. I was online with my iMac (hopefully on Broadband Reports)! Anyway the power went off for a few seconds, there was a loud POP from the tv next to me on the computer when the power went off. I went down to the garage to see the APS tech putting a meter back into the socket. When I asked him why he didn't tell us to turn anything off, he informed me that our 46 lb pair of Boston Terriers up on our deck might attack him. So he didn't tell us. When I asked him why he didn't go through the open garage door to the 2nd floors stairs he apologized saying I'm sorry, and left. When I got back upstairs, my 9 month old iMac 27 inch had lost a few bookmarks on the bookmark bar, the hard drive showed damaged sectors, and the lcd monitor would flicker from time to time. When I went to watch a show on my DTV dvd I found all the recorded shows had disappeared, including over 90 episodes of Perry Mason from the late 50's early 60's that are no longer broadcast any longer. To replace them with DVD's would cost approx $362 from Amazon.com. DTV had to replace the DVR with a Genie whole house system requiring us to re-up for another 24 month contract, and $3 a month more. It took me 3 round trips to the closest Apple store with my iMac (a 85 mile ride each way), before Applecare replaced it with a late 2013 iMac 27 inch for N/C! At the end of November our Bosch dishwasher had the control board fail. The board for that model isn't available according to Bosch because it was subject to a recall in 2010, and they will not sell the part because all the parts are being used for the recall. That forced us to replace the dishwasher for $739, plus install time. Fast forward to Dec. 24 our 3 year old Sharp convection microwave magnetron went outing a blaze of glory with an arcing light show. That required us to call Sharp and we told them about the meter swap "issue", and when we asked about the 3 year warranty on the magnetron, they told us isn't covered if a voltage surge occurred. So we had to buy a new unit on short notice. Fortunately the local Sears dealer had one. Another $326 spent in less than 90 days from this "event". Apple by far was the best to deal with as they replaced my 27 inch 2012 iMac with a 2013 model They split the cost of a $700 upgraded iMac model with a i7 Intel chip, a 3 TB hybrid fusion drive, and upgraded Nvidia graphics card over my stock 2012 iMac i5. I am now listening to my 3+ year old beverage coolers compressor sounding a little noisy. I am filling out a claim for damages to APS now, and wondering what I should expect for reimbursement for my damages caused by them not following protocol. I was told by the APS crew supervisor for changing out the meters that they were required to shut off the house breakers. I clearly saw that the tech didn't. Has anyone out there had any experiences with a similar situation? Thank You!

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

[Electrical] Re: Coincidence or ?????

I would have called APS that day, opening up a service ticket with damages pending. I would have reported the anomaly about not opening the breakers.

Three months later may be too late. Good luck. Anything that you get now would be gravy.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to dbamber
Shutting the breakers off there cannot be normal protocol as most disconnects (Mains) are inside where they can't be reached. Pulling a meter is no different than opening a disconnect. Sounds like you may have had a surge or lightning strike not related to the meter change out.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Except for all the sparks and noise pulling open a disconnect under load will create.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Whats the difference in pulling the meter and opening the contacts on a main breaker under load?

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to dbamber
They aren't going to pay for most of that stuff, sorry.

1. You probably had a case with the iMac as it had problems immediately after incident, but as you said you got it replaced for free.
2. You seriously expect them to buy you $300 bucks worth of DVD because you lost the things you RECORDED? I also don't understand why losing episodes of Perry Mason required a new DVR.
3. There is no possible way you could make the argument that appliances failing months later are having problems ONLY because of the meter swap.
4. You are blaming the power company for the failure of a control board that was recalled because it was failing so much?
5. No power company is "required" to shut off your breakers. What if you aren't home? What if you don't let them into the house?
6. No service company is ever going to ENTER your property and start flipping off breakers without your permission first. Period.
7. He should have at least knocked on the door to tell you what he was about to do but if you have some vicious looking dogs on the porch I don't blame him for not approaching.

PS:
You seriously have all that expensive equipment plugged into the wall with no UPS?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

dbamber

Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
Thank you for your response. All of my tv's, dvr's computers, printers are plugged into surge protectors albeit only $75 ones! The DVR was replaced because it stopped recording shows that were on its list, and the hard drive failed. Our meter box, and circuit breakers are in the same housing outside, next to our open garage door with the stairs going to the upstairs. The supervisor said that it is company protocol to shut off the circuit breakers when they do a meter replacement to protect the wiring, and appliances in the house. They did not, and again the circuit breakers are in the same housing OUTSIDE! Bosch said that the control board was replaced due to a bad wiring connection, and again the part is not available any longer. The tech from APS could clearly see through our open garage door a set of stairs leading up to the next level of our house, and he didn't see fit to knock on our door to tell us. As far as Apple goes, I had to make 3 170 mile round trips to finally resolve that issue. Do you value your time or wear, and tear on your vehicle for what is obviously a power company issue! The peer company came around with door tags to inform us of a upcoming meter swap. Ours was taped to the deck support post instead of hung on a door 8 feet further away. A neighbors was hung on a for sale sign in front of the property, and two neighbors with long steep driveways were left on the ground. I am not directly saying that the power surge caused this but, it seems very coincidental that this has occurred. If my 46 lb pair of Boston Terriers are vicious because they are barking at someone who comes up our driveway, then is a larger dog a man-eater?

dbamber

Bandon, OR
reply to stevek1949
I did report the incident that day. APS had the meter swap crew supervisor call me the next week to apolgize for my problems, and I received a claim form. It took until Dec. 20 for the iMac resolution.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to dbamber
That was a very hard read, so I may have missed something.

It's very doubtful a meter swap caused all of these issues, let alone one or two of them. It's no different than a power failure. In fact, it's probably better because it's a "clean" open and close.

On a massive meter swap, if they had to stop and chit chat with every subscriber, it would never get done.

It would be nice if they would send a letter in advance to warn people.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to dbamber
said by dbamber:

The tech from APS could clearly see through our open garage door a set of stairs leading up to the next level of our house, and he didn't see fit to knock on our door to tell us.

I can't imagine any tech from any company entering your open garage. Just to be clear, were your dogs blocking your front door?

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dbamber
"our 46 lb pair of Boston Terriers"

Over the years I have been bit 3 times by customers dogs

Last one was a big Shepard that mostly got a mouthful of my tool pouch - didn't hurt but scared the crap out of me

First 2 times were by 15 pounders, didn't scare me but hurt & drew blood

First 2 were my fault, customers said they were nippers and I said I was good with dogs - no worries
Wrong

Shepard owners said 'not to worry they are just noisy'
Noisy & nasty....

btw
please, separate your text to make it easier for us to read

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..

2 recommendations

said by Liberty:

Last one was a big Shepard that mostly got a mouthful of my tool pouch - didn't hurt but scared the crap out of me

Look at the bright side. He didn't get the other tool pouch....

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to dbamber
First, paragraphs are your friend.

Second, dogs on the porch will stop techs, UPS, mail, from ringing your doorbell.

Third, Door open or not, the threshold of your garage door is private property and the tech is not going to enter your home without your permission.
Expand your moderator at work

dbamber

Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: [Electrical] Re: Coincidence or ?????

Jack in Va: Here in Arizona most of the circuit breakers are located OUTSIDE in the same cabinet as the meter. BTW the circuit breaker panel is not sealed, and can be easily opened. It was a bit of a culture shock for me when we moved here, and saw this. I was told that it is done this way for safety concerns.

dbamber

Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
reply to AsherN
Why is going up my front porch stairs to my front door any different than going up my basement stairs to knock on my door to tell us that they were going to change the meter? The supervisor told me that the service crew had our phone #, so why didn't they call us? I acknowledge that our microwave/convection oven failure, dishwasher failure is very coincidental, but these units had been trouble free for 3 to 8 years without incident, and then this occurred. BTW, when the DTV tech came out to redo our DVR's, wiring etc, he told me that he had seen their equipment failing this in multiple houses after the meters had been swapped out. Again, is this coincidence or????

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dbamber

Re: [Electrical] Coincidence or ?????

If you opened a ticket / logged a complaint immediately afterward, I think you'd have a better shot at getting reimbursed for some of the issues. I may be mistaken but most utilities have a department that handles this through insurance companies they engage.

If that wasn't resolved, I think you'd have enough documentation that if you filed a small claims case against them they might just settle to avoid dragging it out but I am not a lawyer and you should consult a real lawyer before taking such a route.
--
Add a signature here

dbamber

Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
As I stated earlier it took 3 170+ mile round trips to the Gilbert, Az Applestore to finally get the issue with the iMac resolved. The computer was replaced on Dec. 20, 2013. I did open a claim with the local APS office in person within an hour of the "incident". After the dishwasher failure on Nov. 30th, and the microwave magnetron failure on the 24th of Dec. I am now feeling that multiple failures of electrical components in our house, along withe the DTV dvr is becoming more than coincidental. Thank you for your reply!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to dbamber
tell them to pay up or you will file criminal charges Burglary
48 hour notice should have been left (this is what socal Edison does)
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to dbamber

said by dbamber:

Why is going up my front porch stairs to my front door any different than going up my basement stairs to knock on my door to tell us that they were going to change the meter?

The porch is outside the house. Your stairs are inside the garage, inside your house. Try it this way, "my front door was open, why didn't he come up the stairs in my living room and knock on my bedroom window?"

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to dbamber

Re: [Electrical] Coincidence or ?????

Dishwasher and microwave failing months after the meter swap is most probably pure coincidence.

As for the computer and DVR getting data corruption... any power bump or outage could have done the same thing. If you don't have these devices on a UPS, you have to assume the risk of possible data corruption due to sudden power loss.

Yes, they should have informed you that they were going to swap the meter, as a courtesy. However, I don't think you have a leg to stand on with regards to seeking damages from the POCO.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to dbamber
You have no case on either argument. Here is the TOS. It's all spelled out in black and white:
--

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
said by nunya:

You have no case on either argument. Here is the TOS. It's all spelled out in black and white:

Except for 5.3.1
"...except where due to Company's willful misconduct or gross negligence.". Being a reasonable person, I see negligence is APSs employee by not making an attempt to contact. DVR recordings - naa - so sorry about your loss - can't attribute that to anything other than a failed hard-drive.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
You'd be hard pressed to prove that changing a meter is "negligence". The fact of the matter is it happens thousands of times per day around the globe. It's SOP.
The contract also says the company shall have unassisted 24/7 access to the meter for maintenance purposes.
--

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to dbamber
The best case is just keep making noise and they'll give you something even though they aren't obligated too just to shut you up. You can always contact your local news station and see if they'll do a story about your situation. Contract or not bad PR gets results!

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

Ok, I'll bite...
How does changing a meter equal burglary? What did they steal?
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

join:2013-07-08
MA
said by Thespis:

said by Anonymous_:

Ok, I'll bite...

They stole his air while they were on his property!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
said by 02778712:

said by Thespis:

said by Anonymous_:

Ok, I'll bite...

They stole his air while they were on his property!

QUICK! Someone call Spaceball1!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Hellrazor

said by Hellrazor:

said by Liberty:

Look at the bright side. He didn't get the other tool pouch....

I choked reading that... thanks for that!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to dbamber
said by dbamber:

Again, is this coincidence or????

Most likely coincidence.
--