Search similar:

uniqs

GuyM
@rr.com

GuyM

Anon

Dual WAN, Loadbalance/Failover, 100 Fiber + 50 Cable

Hi All,
Looked around but couldn't find any recommendation for my needs (and budget) so hope someone can assist.
Here's what I have/need:
1. Aprx. 60-70 clients (PCs, Macs, Phones)
2. Two connections - 1 fiber 100mb symmetric and 1 cable 50/5 (so high throughput is needed)
3. I want to set most traffic to the fiber while some (such as VOIP/screen share) through the cable
4. I want it to be able to fail over automatically if one lines dies
5. Budget less than 500$

Looked at TP-LINK TL-ER5120, Peplink Balance 20, and DrayTek Vigor 2960.
Can't seem to figure out if one of those will do the trick.

Any suggestions/pointers will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Guy
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by GuyM :

2. Two connections - 1 fiber 100mb symmetric and 1 cable 50/5 (so high throughput is needed)

Presuming you'll only get a RJ-45 cable handoff for both of these?

Suggest trying out the live demo of Peplink here. Not sure what your skill level is, but
I find it pretty well designed and quite intuitive, especially the loadbalancing configuration.

You could also try out the FAQ for other dual wan capable devices out there.

As to those three devices ability to sustain and maintain high session counts, well... about the only way
to dis/prove that is to get one on a test bench and run some sort of throughput test and see where they go
up in flames.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to GuyM

Premium Member

to GuyM
Zyxel 110 (400ish) is in your budget but I would probably recommend the Zyxel 310 (750ish) regarding the number of users and room for growth.

»ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/ZyWALL_11 ··· 10_4.pdf

There is much you have not noted, how many folks will expect to be able to laptop or smartphone connect from at home or on the road etc.........
How many servers, how many groups of users, will you need VLAN capabilities etc etc.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer to GuyM

to GuyM
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html
guymeiri
join:2013-12-31
New York, NY

guymeiri to Anav

to Anav
Thanks for the pointer guys.

@Anav - the 310 looks like a winner except that from looking at the Zyxel pages/docs, i'm not seeing any load balancing feature. only "failover and fallback support". do you maybe know otherwise? And sorry i wasn't clear but as i wrote, that's all i need. i.e. no VPNs, no servers, nothing. Just over 60-70 users accessing the internet.

@jimbopalmer - looked at the RV320 but read some aweful reviews so this is why i didn't mention it earlier.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

All zyxel USG type routers have had lots of options with respect to fail over, load balancing. It has been done by Policy Routing and Trunks - its all there.
»ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/ZyWALL_31 ··· _Ed2.pdf

Read Chapter 8 - Trunks, Chapter 9 - Policy Routes

Yup your requirements now, are apt to change in a heartbeat.
Did you conduct a requirements survey. For example what happens when a couple of execs suddenly discover they can easily get to their files or emails via their smart phone.
Game over.......... I think zyxel sells rolling code devices so you can attach a server for such things for more security as well, if L2TP is not enough.

PS another feature is HA, high availability which basically means another router in Tandem which can take over if the first router fails. (overkill for most businesses).
guymeiri
join:2013-12-31
New York, NY

guymeiri

Yep. Just read the manual...sorry about that. Thanks for confirming.
I hear what you are saying, but, there is literally nothing in the office to access all with laptops, email is externally hosted and already accessed by all phones, files are in a cloud service, etc. I literally just need a good router to handle internet connection at 100 + 50 speeds with some policy routing and failover for ~70 users/devices (potentially going up to ~120).

For the price, it does look like a robust unit that should answer my needs.

Thank you very much for the info and quick responses. You really helped me out here.

Happy new year!

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to GuyM

Premium Member

to GuyM
Check out provantage.com and macmall for possible best prices.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to GuyM

MVM

to GuyM
Dunno if you can comment on the level of your technical expertise, OP... but if you're a DIY / tinkerer type another device to consider is the
Ubiquit Edgemax Edgerouter Lite. $100USD, 3x GigE interfaces, small and compact formfactor....

Also many configs to crib that should do what you want -- see here

Sad to say mine's still in the box as I haven't had much time to play with it.

Regards

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Concur with Hellfire in that there are other options depending upon time and knowledge. Probably PFSense etc can be run on a pC to do all of this as well. The Zyxel is a decent plugNplay approach which can be administered without much pain.