share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Android above and beyond iOS devices?

I think my next phone will be an android at this point, and won't be until next year or so. But I'd like to start learning about the android universe.

Questions:

1 what things can't a droid do that an iOS CAN do?

2 What things CAN a droid do that an iOS CAN'T do?

3 What features should I look for with regards to apps?

4 What features should I look for with regards to calling?

5 What features should I look for with regards to text messaging?

6 What mechanical features and design things should I know about?

For ATT plans, which devices are best? WE have unlimited data grandfathered in. I do a LOT of streaming audio and some video, a very small amount of texting, facebook, plenty of calling, use phone as alarm clock, use web apps for things such as weather, earthquake reports...

Current phone is an iPhone 4S. What models should I look at?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

First, Droid is the name of an Android phone manufactured by Motorola. It's a specific phone that runs Android.

1) Run iOS apps

2) Run Android apps

3) That it's an app that does what you want it to do. For example, you'd probably want an alarm app that wakes you up in the morning.

4) That you can dial a person's phone number, they answer and you can have a conversation with them.

5) That you can send and receive text messages.

6) That a phone is a phone and you should do some research to see if it's a phone you want to buy and use.

As I understand it, if you have AT&T subsidize a phone, you loose any grandfathered plan.

Seriously... you questions are _WAY_ to general and books could be written in response. I would recommend that you do some research on the Internet so that you can make an informed decision or at lease better define your questions.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

At&t still lets you keep grandfathered unlimited even with subsidy. Verizon is the one that does not.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

True story.

I was forced into a day long iPhone training when the 4s launched. I was using a year old HTC Desire HD at the time. The trainer had plenty of demo's for us to play with. Every activity we were taught to do on the 4s, I also emulated on my HTC. After the training, the instructor asked me what I thought. I told him that I was pleased to know that Apple had finally caught up to my "ancient" Android device.

Each new iPhone seems to just catch up to what Android can do, and then Android just jumps ahead again.

Look, I sell phones for a living. I'm an admitted Android fan boy. But, Apple seems to go out of their way to make things difficult while Google makes things easier.

There are 3 Android devices that I consider the best : HTC One, LG G2 and the Nexus 5. I think all 3 run circles around iPhone.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to signmeuptoo

I don't sell phones. I've had phones from AT&T. Sprint, T-Mobile, VZN, and TracFone. I've had iOS 4S, Windows, Sanyo, Samsung, LG and an assortment of junk free phones. I've learned a couple of things.

Cell phones are only as good as the maker and the towers they use. If you want a good phone upgrade! Rural America is funky. VZN or Sprint phones work very well along 1-44 in Missouri. AT&T only work in certain areas. Rolla, MO is an AT&T town. Neither Sprint nor VZN work any where near McDonald's.

As for phones, I much prefer the 4S and Tracfone with WiFi and Bluetooth with the swipe screen best for the virtual keyboard and phone ease of use. I think the picture quality of iOS is outstanding. The pictures are sharp and color true. I do NOT like the iTunes store. The TracFone is LG 840 loaded with Windows 7; it is a typical MS product. It is a secondary phone I do not use often. I like LG phones and Sanyo best. Windows phone, as a whole, is only slightly more handy than a third leg, but it has Bing and it works well. It's snappy, but it offers little in Apps that I would buy.

My friends have all types of Droids. I have not been overly impressed with the learning curve or the photo quality. The single reason I don't get one are the various articles I've read about hackers that target the Android phones. It is not a phone I would use for banking, to store passwords, or to keep personal information about friends or family, unless I could actually secure it.

If I were you I would go to a Sprint store and play with the phones before I purchased any phone from any supplier. Sprint employees are normally well trained and more than willing to help which is something VZN employees do not excel at - at least not where I live. I much prefer my laid back Sprint guy.

One of the reason I went to TracFone is because the local
no-contract $50 VZN phones are junk, regional, and tied to endless issues related to "Why can't I? ....." usability.

You get what you pays for. If you like iOS; stick with it. If you don't check out some of the other phones.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I think my next phone will be an android at this point, and won't be until next year or so. But I'd like to start learning about the android universe.

Questions:

Nothing but access iTunes

Just about everything... really a mini PC vs iDevive slaved and limited Apple draconian limitation.

3 What features should I look for with regards to apps?

What ever you want, again i you are limited to Apple, and in some ways Google the same way but you don't have to jailbreak the device to go elsewhere you MUST with CrApple.

4 What features should I look for with regards to calling?

What you want

5 What features should I look for with regards to text messaging?

Again what you want

6 What mechanical features and design things should I know about?

IDevice without a lot of hacks and extra hardware iDevive ZERO expansion possibility and even with it far more limited than Android

--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to linicx

said by linicx:

Cell phones are only as good as the maker and the towers they use. If you want a good phone upgrade! Rural America is funky

Yeah there are things to be said for that and per carrier varies WIDELY area to area.... as to ranking.

I was talking more the relative OS's themselves not what they are connected to. Assuming both on equal Wifi

Cell service is all over the map by providerr and location and might make the much more Apple intentionally crippled device more functional if talking cell only depending on where you are.
--

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to signmeuptoo

The king of android phones right now seems to still be the Galaxy S4. The Galaxy S5 expected to be announced in March will very likely run circles around everything out there. Rumor is it will have a 64 bit processor, 2K screen, lte-a. The Galaxy S4 currently already supports wifi B, A, G, N and AC. Most do not currently support AC much less dual band N.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Plus it's looking like it might finally offer an Aluminum back as well as the plastic one. At least that's the rumor out there.
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I think my next phone will be an android at this point, and won't be until next year or so..... What models should I look at?

It doesn't sound like you are sure that you want an Android device, also when you say "next year or so," that could be the end of next year or maybe in 2015. My point is that when you decide on an Android, the current Android phones available now probably won't be the best ones to get then. Wait until you are sure and want one, and then look at the many phones that will be available at that time.
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Just hoping to come up to speed on them.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

My own little story....

I owned an iPhone 3GS and a 4. I grew very bored with the iPhone, and went with Android, and have had Android phones ever since. Good luck!
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Bored. Yeah, that's kinda part of it I must confess. Frankly I am very lucky to even HAVE a cell phone, my sister provides the account and I got the first iPhone, a 3GS, because my dad left it to me when he passed.

Sure, some apps are cool, some even great. Sure it's a phone and works well as a phone. I'm just a person that finds open source and nix type OSs appealing and, while I still don't understand a lot about, say, Linux, I prefer it as an OS (SuSE), so I'm wondering if the same thing would carry over with Android after seeing my BIL's Android Tablet.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I was gonna say "Hide the battle plans of the Imperial Deathstar"
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

OOH, now THAT would be a thingy! I'd settle for teach me how to drive a Y wing.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

If you feel adventurous there are even custom android roms for certain phones.

I do not know how IOS is and how open. I know some apps can go bad on android. I thought about it but never tried Avast. Supposedly if you allowed texting home it did to Czechoslovakia at international rates. Not a intentional make money. Just some didnt know hom for it was overseas.
Block the phone from allowing download of pay apps or put password on your att account if available. Have another provider.
Roms do more than bust through provider locks. They do offer an unlocked phone with more features or ROM feature beyond android.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
reply to signmeuptoo

The iPhone has reportedly been fully hacked by the NSA since 2008

A report from Der Spiegel over the weekend highlighted the NSA’s elite TAO hacking unit, which directly targets corporate networks and can even place spyware on devices while they’re being shipped to recipients. And yesterday, security researcher Jacob Applebaum and Der Spiegel blew the lid off another NSA program, dubbed “DROPOUTJEEP,” which gives the agency fully control of Apple’s iPhone.

»venturebeat.com/2013/12/31/the-i···ce-2008/
--

"Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
-- TS Eliot, The Wasteland

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

If you feel adventurous there are even custom android roms for certain phones...

This. I would make sure any phone you buy is officially supported by Cyanogenmod (a custom ROM).
»www.cyanogenmod.org/devices
Cyanogenmod support often means interest is high enough to spawn other ROMs as well. It's preferable to have the latest Android OS (currently Kitkat) for the latest patches. If your chosen phone doesn't offer the latest OS natively, it (or at least it's patches) may be available in a custom ROM. Currently, with a custom ROM it's easy to block ads (AdAway), block/spoof permissions apps ask for but don't need (PDroid, XPrivacy), and prevent your personal/private information from syncing with Google (Offline Calendar, general sync settings).
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively! -sig since 2009

michellee

join:2013-07-17

Instead of asking these questions shouldn't you be comparing phones? I think that's the best way of choosing a phone. Here, let's take a look at Sony Xperia Z Ultra, which I actually have it myself and I totally love it: »comperio.co/en/smartphones/sony-···6gb.html
And let's compare it to apple phone. I mean, apple phones are great, I had iphone4, but tbh.. There are all the same. Yea, different cameras and battery type, but really - nothing new. So check which phone you want to get. You can stay with Apple if you are happy with it, otherwise cheat on ios and go for android

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Fingerprint scanner.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

My HTC One Max has a fingerprint scanner. Hell my HP iPAQ H5555 PDA from 2003 running Windows Mobile 2003 SE had a finger print scanner. Way to catch up Apple, only took ya 10 years!

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Well there ya go... now the thing that ios could do that android can't is busted

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to dib22

said by dib22:

said by signmeuptoo:

Fingerprint scanner.

the thing that nobody uses. Like Siri.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

What things can't a droid do that an iOS CAN do?

I have not had a Android phone, but as far as I know it can't download Mac Apps. I don't know if it can download from iTunes or not.

As a whole I think Android is more interesting. On the other hand I like the iOS with the larger numbers on the virtual keyboard and phone. And I like most everything that it not tied to iTunes.
--

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by linicx:

but as far as I know it can't download Mac Apps.

Well neither can an iOS device. While they are trying hard to make them look similar (launchpad, app store etc) macos and iOS are different beasts*.

said by linicx:

On the other hand I like the iOS with the larger numbers on the virtual keyboard and phone.

Ya know who had a great on screen keyboard? WebOS.

»www.webos-internals.org/wiki/On_···Keyboard

*I do agree that these days if you are writing a program from scratch then yes macos and ios are easy to compile for from the same source

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to shaner

Googles personal assistant does talk back. Though it doesn't give smart-ass answers back like Siri. Though it does tell you how much wood a woodchuck can chuck.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

And Google Now also knows the answer to life, the universe and everything.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to dib22

TracFone LG 840g is a phone with a large print dialpad and five text screens: Large text, small text, and three common symbol screens with numbers and characters for legal, technical, and scientific writing.

If you don't live on a phone, don't need a monthly contract, and can live without Angry Birds, it's a fairly smart phone that is easy on the budget. The generic browser runs over a zippy search engine called blekko.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit

said by linicx:

TracFone LG 840g is a phone with a large print dialpad and five text screens: Large text, small text, and three common symbol screens with numbers and characters for legal, technical, and scientific writing.

If you don't live on a phone, don't need a monthly contract, and can live without Angry Birds, it's a fairly smart phone that is easy on the budget. The generic browser runs over a zippy search engine called blekko.

Yup traded in my old candybar TracFone (which no longer had print on any of the keys and a pretty scratched up screen) this year on one of those, for times not around WiFi and can't use Skype on my iPod Touch or ASUS Tablet.

With annual subscription and since minutes roll over forever, plus the double and triple min for life programs, am over 4000 min available now.

Nice phone, but for some reason won't connect to my GMail, but really don't need it for that purpose, except maybe occasional wish to mail a pic.

Only 2MP but not a bad cam for a phone. Also unlike many of the smarter and even my iPod Touc (iPhone minus the phone) has good battery life. Unless I make a lot of calls, Only need to charge it 2, maybe 3 time a week.
--