Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

4 recommendations

2013 is the year that proved your 'paranoid' friend right.

»www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the···d-right/ from »it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=···45821213 ...

We're the paranoid friends?

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

Now we need to focus on getting laws in place regarding restrictions on all of this and strengthening privacy laws, to the point of perhaps getting a constitutional amendment passed guaranteeing the expectation of privacy, since that will be the ultimate way of reining this in.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 recommendations

reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

Now we need to focus on getting laws in place regarding restrictions on all of this and strengthening privacy laws, to the point of perhaps getting a constitutional amendment passed guaranteeing the expectation of privacy, since that will be the ultimate way of reining this in.

Unfortunately - not going to happen.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

3 recommendations

reply to antdude

Unfortunately, CylonRed is correct re: never seeing laws 'getting a constitutional amendment passed guaranteeing the expectation of privacy'. What the heck; we don't have one from the government itself for Obamacare. I've gotten to the point, just about, to where I don't even want to use my computer, credit card(s), or anything else that has to do with privacy, etc. Yes. I am from an age where computers were the size of a room and not usable for the average schmo. Now that I am one of those, I am so so tired of having to have one thing after another to pray that I will not be compromised in some way. It's really very tedious. Do I rant about it all the time? You bet. Do I ever expect to live long enough to see something done about it? Not even if I was Methuselah!

(rant over)
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Anon124312

@comcast.net

No, no, no friend. We enact the laws, then don't enforce them when it comes to alphabet soup land.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sbconslt

said by sbconslt:

There is no such thing as being too paranoid.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to antdude

...or another handy paranoia quote : "You call it paranoia, I call it covering your one and only butt"

Regards

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay

said by jaykaykay:

I've gotten to the point, just about, to where I don't even want to use my computer, credit card(s), or anything else that has to do with privacy, etc.

Me too. I've made big changes in the last year. I used to do all my banking and billing on line. I don't do any of it anymore. The only exception is Netflix as there is no other option. I don't even write checks anymore. I get money orders instead.

It's just reached the point where I don't trust any of it anymore. If not for privacy concerns, for theft concerns. Right or wrong, I assume every app for my iPod and program for my computer is recording and transmitting home everything I do.

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to HELLFIRE

said by HELLFIRE:

"You call it paranoia, I call it covering your one and only butt"

Anymore, to think you're not being recorded, logged, and databased is to be naive.

"How would you like a fancy new Xbox One with it's sophisticated new camera and microphone system? It recognizes you, your friends, family and guests by face and voice print!" Ummm, no thanks.

Sad, but that's what it is today.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to JoeSchmoe007

NO ... Paranoid means HEIGHTEND AWARENESS,nothing wrong with it!!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to antdude

Re: 2013 is the year that proved your 'paranoid' friend right.

If you're paranoid, it doesn't mean you can't have friends. It does mean you can't trust them. Plus, you should always count the cash when it's handed to you. Even a friend can make a mistake.
--
In the land of the three blind mice, the one-eyed cat is king.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to Millenium

Unfortunately it has gotten so bad already that not going online can do you even more harm. There are far too many companies and government entities that make sensitive information available online for "your convenience".
What this really does is making that information conveniently accessible for everybody that is not supposed to have it.
In many cases the more the secure option is to register at those sites even if you have no intention to ever use the site again. This way you can set a reasonably secure password and hope that you will get an email notification if someone else requests a password reset or makes any changes to your account. If you leave those accounts unregistered it is often far too easy for a 3rd party to register on your behalf and since they would use their email address you would never know about it. While most sites make you jump through a dozen hoops if you forgot your password it is absolutely stunning how little valid information those same sites sometimes require to create the initial account.

Unfortunately neither registering nor leaving such sites unregistered protects your data from an attack where the entire database is stolen. The mere act of putting your confidential data on an Internet accessible system is creating a risk that many of us would not approve off if we were given any choice in the matter.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by sbconslt:

I already know I'm paranoid. - The question is, am I paranoid enough ?!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to leibold

quote:
There are far too many companies and government entities that make sensitive information available online for "your convenience".
In the 90's this was a major reason people wanted the internet and drove a lot of growth from then on. The refrain was we would be able to do so many things online that we had to do in person - especially things the govt required.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by sbconslt:

I already know I'm paranoid. - The question is, am I paranoid enough ?!

As my statement explains - no!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

3 recommendations

reply to leibold

said by leibold:

,,, There are far too many companies and government entities that make sensitive information available online for "your convenience". ...

For thousands of years, the surest enemy of security has been convenience.

Most of the time, people are inherently lazy. That is, they continually try to find ways to lessen or avoid effort. That's what lies behind the concept of "labor-saving devices". Security takes effort... in planning, execution, and maintenance. So "convenience" rules human thought processes, and leads us into doing all manner of insecure things because the effort to do them is visible, whereas the threats are generally invisible and can be mentally minimized - at least until the threats visibly descend upon our heads in the form of an attack. The longer a person goes without experiencing a given threat attack, the more likely it will be for him to choose convenience over security precautions against it.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

As my statement explains - no!

Smile when you say that - Otherwise I might get paranoid.

( actually, I might anyway )

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Using the word paranoid is a useful tool for those in authority to brand people with legitimate concerns. Thus I suspect the OP is really an agent for the oppressors.

Seriously, 2013 only proved what most intelligent people surmised or suspected and has nothing to do with a crazy delusional process.

In conclusion, I resent the title of the thread but do agree with better more effective legislation. That will occur once all the politicians in the Capitol area pass legislation that ensures they have the same rights as other US citizens. As long as they keep playing in the world of Hunger Game elites, the citizens will continue to be effed over. Lets be clear this is a Canadian opinion and thus should be viewed as such.

It didn't take much to be suckered into the IRAQ war and then the need for Homeland security to be touching ones prostrate so I don't hold out much hope for the population to get their act together and fight back. :-(
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

we already have a constitution and bill of rights for that. however, congress has been making unconstitutional laws they never had the power to do, and gets away with it.
»wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_five···Congress also, read the constitution. it's like it don't matter anymore.. Congress never had the power to do this!!.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

No, that was 2011, or possibly 2010.

»Re: IBM predicts Cybercriminal Critical Infrastructure attacks

Permalinked so I can stop repeating myself.