spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

STLCompGuy

join:2003-01-11
Saint Louis, MO

[CATV] Is it possible to do Picture in Picture with Charter ?

I have Charter cable and I was wondering if I can do Picture in Picture? I have both component and HDMI. I have the latest Charter cable box/DVD. I want to be able to watch both the Orange Bowl and the Cotton bowl on one tv.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
To oversimplify the answer , picture in picture will require a tv with that feature , and also two separate tuners . If you can provide that , it should be doable .
If your cable feed is not all digital , it is somewhat easier .

STLCompGuy

join:2003-01-11
Saint Louis, MO
I assume I have 2 separate tuners. I have a DVR that can record 2 shows at the same time.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to STLCompGuy
With two boxes from Charter, yes.

baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA
kudos:1
I have only one box with charter. All I have to do is push the buttons on my remote that says "picture in picture", I can swap it, move it, change the channel and change the video source all with the charter remote.

MrFixit1

Madison, WI
reply to STLCompGuy
Should really have asked for brands and model numbers to start with
What I did not make clear was that you need 2 tuners with individual outputs to the tv .
The comment on all digital could also have been clearer
Any encrypted feed will require 2 Charter provided provided boxes ( unless your DVR is able to output 2 different feeds at the same time ) .
If the channels (or one off the channels ) that you want to watch are not encrypted , remember that you have a tuner in the TV .
This is the main reason I split the cable feed before the STB ( some channels are still not encrypted here , at least for now )
Since all I use PIP for is to monitor weather or news , still works for me .

MrFixit1

Madison, WI
reply to baja7475
Have to ask , what box do you have ?
Might be time for me to take a trip to the local office
If I could do it all in the STB , it would sure simplify the setup .

baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA
kudos:1
Cisco Explorer 8640hdc

arbit3r9

join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

1 recommendation

reply to STLCompGuy
with 2 cable box's + tv supports PIP it is doeable, However you will want 2 diff cable box's that don't use same (just call it) IR codes. Otherwise you will have both box's changing to same channels.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to STLCompGuy
You'll have to find a TV with that feature.

I can tell you from what I've seen PIP is getting hard to come by, when I do see it it's rather limited.

My Samsung TV has it but it's very limited. The main screen can be any HDMI/Component/Composite source but the PIP box is limited to only the coaxal RF input which can be ATSC OTA, QAM cable or analog NTSC.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

hawk52

join:2010-02-10
Upton, MA
reply to STLCompGuy
I have the same Cisco DVR noted. PIP is regularly used on my Panny The feed is only HDMI from box to TV. I use the channel controller to use PIP. Works just fine.