share rss forum feed

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

3 recommendations

[Appliances] Detergent PODS

What genius in the consumer products industry decided that POD's was a great method to deliver detergents into appliances? Their premise is that they melt away (they usually require heat to do this) but in many cases you end up finding pieces of them in your clothes, on your dishes or whatever. You're no longer allowed to change the quantity of cleaner you use based on what you're cleaning. You obviously pay more for them, which I assume is the reason they are now the norm.

We have yet to find a product that works better when used in POD form and many actually seem to work worse. A good example of this is Tide Boost. When it was available as a liquid we used it all the time with good results, the Pods are actually useless!

What's everybody else's experience?

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
We use the Tide pods as well. The liquid probably works a little better imo. Probably because they don't have to wait for the pod to dissolve. But I haven't had any issues with the pods (not dissolved completely). When we do laundry the loads are usually full loads. If we have a small load, we have a bottle of the liquid which we use instead. If a large load was extra dirty, I might consider adding a little liquid soap plus the pod but I haven't tried it yet.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Msradell
We used the ones from all when we rented a house in Ireland for vacation. If any have experience in Europe, you know the water in the washer get pretty hot. They were awful. I was melting them and then pouring the detergent in.

We don't use them at home.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Msradell
We use pods in the dishwasher - zero issues except for when the arms got limed up but when that was fixed se went back to zero issues.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Cascade powder for us. Zero issues in 10 years

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to Msradell
Pods work great for us in the dishwasher, but in the washing machine for clothes - not so much.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Msradell
Pods in the dishwasher work (for us, our water) better than powder. We just bought some laundry pods to try since we replaced our 70s washing machine with a top loading HE unit. No experience using the pods, yet.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
reply to Msradell

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Msradell
I used pods in a dishwasher (not at home but when staying in business suites) and I didn't notice any difference to using powder or liquid detergents. I never tried pods in a washing machine.

Where would you put the pods in a he front loading washing machine, the detergent drawer or directly into the drum ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Msradell
Like most detergents, pods work best when you throw them in first, before you put in any clothes. The only time we've had a problem with them dissolving is when they were put in as a afterthought, on top of the clothes, and this really only in our new high-efficiency (water saving) washer. For our old washer (which used much more water), I don't recall ever having had a problem with them, unless maybe we had really loaded (overloaded, more likely) that unit.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Msradell
No trouble with All pods with my front loading washer. I put them in with the laundry, not in the dispenser where you'd normally put detergent.

Never found undissolved pieces in laundry, maybe it's something to do with the water type, or maybe All has better pods.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
reply to Msradell
We use pods in both the laundry and dishwasher, with no problems. We have city water, which is softened by the city before it reaches our house.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Msradell
I use all pods and I haven't noticed anything on the clothes as well.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Msradell
Zero issues with them in the dishwasher. Never found anything on my dishes. Of course I don't use the cheap stuff either so maybe brand/quality matters. I also use PODS for my septic system. Once a month I flush one down the toilet. That's also no issues.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to Msradell
Not only that, but the pods look like candy to children!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I use all pods and I haven't noticed anything on the clothes as well.

As much as you work on cars, that's a real tribute
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/egeezer/

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Booost
said by Booost :

The powder looks like candy too. Pixy sticks or sugar yummy! The stuff people come up with these days. LOL
--

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Msradell
Pods are obviously more expensive. You pull one out and throw it into the water. Traditional way, you pour detergent out into the water. Obviously not any more difficult.

You want to know why they are made? Read the prior posts and you will see. They are money makers.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Msradell
I use Tide Pods in our old top loader and mainly use the warm wash setting, unless whites which gets hot. Normal loads and normal dirtiness (no grime) they work great. If the loads are heavily grimed I add a little liquid to help. I have never had problems with not dissolving completely even in cold wash. I believe water itself dissolves them not heat, or I would have a container full of Pods melted in the garage in the summer.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by Booost :

The powder looks like candy too. Pixy sticks or sugar yummy! The stuff people come up with these days. LOL

Child dies after eating detergent pod:
»www.clickorlando.com/news/child-···dex.html

Health Hazards Associated with Laundry Detergent Pods - Center for Disease Control (CDC)
»www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtm···41a1.htm

said by CDC :
Exposures to laundry detergent pods represented the highest percentage of household cleaning product exposure in a recent national poison center study from the United Kingdom (8). Among these laundry detergent pod exposures, 96% occurred in children aged 5 years. Ingestion was the route of exposure in 80% of the children in this age group; reported signs and symptoms included nausea and vomiting, coughing, drowsiness, and rash (8). A study of laundry detergent pod exposures conducted during 2010–2011 by the poison control center in Milan, Italy, found that persons exposed to liquid laundry capsules were more likely to be symptomatic (76%) compared with those exposed to traditional laundry detergent products (27%) (1).

As found in Europe, this initial analysis of NPDS data suggests that laundry detergent pod exposures in the United States have occurred more frequently among children aged 5 years. In this age group, pod-related laundry detergent exposures are more likely to occur by ingestion and to be associated with clinical signs and symptoms than non-pod–related exposures. Children might be attracted to the pods because their colorful appearance and size are similar to candy (1,4,9).

disy

join:2003-01-02
Norwalk, CT
reply to Msradell
they are such a waste, way too much detergent in each of them, jsut like the recommend levels of liquid. I consistently use about 1/2 of the recommended and never have a problem with things not getting clean - it always seems to be plenty of soap to do the job

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to Msradell
I don't use em'.

For laundry, I use my own home-made detergent and put it in the spot the manufacturer intended.

For the few times a year I use the dishwasher I use Wal*Mart brand liquid soap and put it in the spot the manufacturer intended. It all works out.

Critsmcgee

reply to Booost
Bad parents are bad no matter what.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to EGeezer
lol.. I will say one thing I wish Tide had unscented pods since my skin is so sensitive I will start itching like crazy with what they have.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to Booost
All this proves - they should not have access to the place that has the pods. Boost is also completely correct - the powder also looks like candy. The deaths are far more about bad parenting than anything else.

Boost never said the pods did not look like candy - just that the powder also looks like candy.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by CylonRed:

Boost never said the pods did not look like candy - just that the powder also looks like candy.

I said that not Boost. All chemicals should be locked so it shouldn't matter either way.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
said by Critsmcgee:

said by CylonRed:

I said that not Boost. All chemicals should be locked so it shouldn't matter either way.

Sorry - still early for me...
--
Brian

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to Msradell
The detergent industry is worried over the use of pods. Since most consumers pour in too much soap freehand, switching to pods means consumers cut down on the total consumption of soap. Profit margins are lower with the pods since producers are wary of increasing the higher price of pods, but many consumers come out ahead since they use less soap. Sales are down 5%.
»online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1···97972496

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
That sounds like a load to me.

Like something a paid organ of the detergent companies would write
--

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
kudos:5
reply to Msradell
Same as some others, when used in the dishwasher, zero problems with the pods, and Finish pods actually worked better than the Finish Powerball, which tended to leave a white residue.

For the washer, I tried using All pods, and I would often find globs of clear, undissolved pod that never fully dissolved; always found them if the washer was set to small load.
--
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010