uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kronos9326

join:2004-07-31
Mississauga, ON

Here's my Home office

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's where I work (and Play) pretty much every day.

Not pictured is my media server and xmbc player along with 4 WD network HD's in my family room.

Here you see my quad monitor PC, with another server hidden beside the first computer, along with my mac and 5 USB 3.0 drive and 2 sata drives.

network is driven by a linksys router and a 24 port dlink hub serving my entire house.

And then there's the xbox.

stevephl

join:2000-11-27
Colorado Springs, CO

Great setup. One thing, if that truly is a Dlink Hub then run, not walk to your nearest Networking vendor and purchase a Switch to replace the Hub.

Thanks

Steve in Colorado

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by stevephl:

Great setup. One thing, if that truly is a Dlink Hub then run, not walk to your nearest Networking vendor and purchase a Switch to replace the Hub.

Thanks

Steve in Colorado

QFT

run like the wind, like the devil is about to sick his hell hounds on you.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by DarkLogix:

said by stevephl:

Thanks

Steve in Colorado

QFT

run like the wind, like the devil is about to sick his hell hounds on you.

It's really not THAT serious. The only time I've seriously advocated going in and replacing hubs is in a large structured network, a network with security concerns, or a network that runs cloud/SaaS/thin-client services. Most home networks won't be adversely affected unless there are a ton of file transfers.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to stevephl

A lot of people still refer to switches as hubs. Force of habit.

Someone I used to work with, who had been working in the computer industry for decades before I even got on the Internet for the first time still referred to speeds in baud. 100 megabaud hed say, referring to what we know as 100 megabit.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to sk1939

With the amount of media devices and storage this guy seems to have on his network, a hub would likely be a serious performance constraint.

Assuming it is indeed a hub, and not a switch that hes calling a hub as per above of course.

Kronos9326

Mississauga, ON
reply to Kronos9326

My bad, the white box just above the monitor in one of the images is indeed an unmanaged switch.

I do have on order another switch which will be going in my 'media room'.

stevephl

join:2000-11-27
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to TomS_

Your probably correct, I remember a manufacturing plant I worked in we had nothing but hubs in the mid 90's. I too remember using baud going back to teletypes

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

With the amount of media devices and storage this guy seems to have on his network, a hub would likely be a serious performance constraint.

Assuming it is indeed a hub, and not a switch that hes calling a hub as per above of course.

Hubs are the devil, burn them at the steak. (noticed the typo not changing it)

now can you name all the basic L2 devices? related to Ethernet and how they evolve into what is now a switch.
--
semper idem

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Mmmmm steak!
They still are great if you want to do some packet sniffing; aside from that their usefulness as an actual networking device rather than a tool have long expired.

To the OP, the quad monitor thing looks nice, are they all connected to the central pole between the innermost pair of displays?

Kronos9326

Mississauga, ON

The outer two are on arms that are attached to the left/right edge of the desk, and the inner two are on the shelf that I had built which also hides my keyboard when I need the space.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

now can you name all the basic L2 devices? related to Ethernet and how they evolve into what is now a switch.

Not with the way they keep combining functions and such. Mostly it's encapsulation, frame sync, logical link/flow control, and the MAC sublayer.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by sk1939:

said by DarkLogix:

Not with the way they keep combining functions and such. Mostly it's encapsulation, frame sync, logical link/flow control, and the MAC sublayer.

Thinking more along the lines of Repeater, hub, bridge, and switch

people always forget the repeater and bridge, which were just 2 port versions of hubs and switches.
--
semper idem

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

to pick nits -- hubs and repeaters are layer-1 devices.
they make no forwarding decisions based on layer-2 frame information -- they simply refresh bits on the wire.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya well they do trigger the nic to be active IE datalink and do crossover.

but you do have a point maybe layer 1.5.

But then again hubs and repeaters are the devil and need to die, with the exceptions of diag ones for wireshark.
--
semper idem

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

»my.safaribooksonline.com/book/ce···lev1sec7

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Layer 1 is phy unless you can make a hub purely with cables and some nutty splices (not saying it'd be good) then its a little past L1. (and have it trigger the nic to be active with only one device connected.)
--
semper idem

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to DarkLogix

Don't bridges also let you transition network types? I seem to remember that DSL Modems have been called a bridge because they do not modulate-demodulate but they do bridge the connection between Ethernet and the ATM network that is ADSL.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I listed bridges

a bridge basically connects two collision domains and acts like a 2 port switch

but theres no requirement both ports be the same type of network, but if they aren't that could require more internal hardware

but then a fiber to copper converter would be just a repeater as its like a 2 port hub
--
semper idem

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

have it trigger the nic to be active with only one device connected.)

triggering the nic active is done through continuity -- not through layer 2.
case in point -- tie two switches a host and a switch together at 100meg. don't crimp the 6 pin. report your findings.

q.

[edit] posting in haste after a jameson or three is not conducive to error free typing.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by tubbynet:

don't crimp the 6 pin. report your findings.

How would you not crimp just one wire?
--
semper idem

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by DarkLogix:

said by tubbynet:

don't put the 6th wire inside of the head before you crimp it?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by train_wreck:

said by DarkLogix:

said by tubbynet:

don't put the 6th wire inside of the head before you crimp it?

Don't know about you but when I put male RJ45's on I use all the wires to line the others up so if I left out wire 6 then wires 7 and 8 and maybe 5 might be off if not more.
--
semper idem