how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

[HVAC] When to switch heat pumps to emergency heat

I am house sitting for a friend of mine. When is the appropriate time to switch the heat pump to emergency heat here is the thermostat.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

[HVAC] Re: When to switch heat pumps to emergency heat

said by jchambers28:

I am house sitting for a friend of mine. When is the appropriate time to switch the heat pump to emergency heat here is the thermostat.

You don't leave it as is unless friend has instructed you otherwise.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

he told me to switch it to emergency heat when it no longer heats the house. Are heat pumps suppose to switch automatically he has been using emergency heat a lot. It's been in the 20s.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to Jack_in_VA

dbl post

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to jchambers28

What is the emergency heat source?

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to jchambers28

I had a crappy heat pump in a new house about 30 years ago.

Under 24 (maybe 20) it just couldn't keep up.

Your mileage may vary.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

Electricity

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to jchambers28

There is no need to switch it to emergency heat. If the heat pump is no longer able to keep up, the thermostat will kick on auxiliary heat automatically once the temp drops 2 degrees below the setpoint.

Both emergency heat and auxiliary heat kick on the heating strips. The main difference is that once the temperature rises with auxiliary heat, it will go back to running just off the heat pump, saving electricity. If you run it off emergency heat, the heat pump can not turn on and it will draw a higher electric usage all the time.

Aux heat is automatic and is cheaper. Simply put, if you leave it alone the thermostat will do everything for you. No need to switch back and forth.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit
reply to jchambers28

My magic number has always been 22F.

Of course with the new thermostat it does it for me now... but back in the day I would do it when I knew it was gonna hit 22F.

An apartment I lived in a long time ago would freak out and have everyone set it to emergency when it was near 32F... not sure they had a very inefficient system, were misinformed, or were in cahoots with the electric company (a friend just told me they most likely did it to make sure there was no chance of pipes freezing thereby costing them money... much better to just let us renters pay more for power )

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

Thus the username?

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28

Re: [HVAC] When to switch heat pumps to emergency heat

Click for full size
Click for full size
Does this thermostat have an auxiliary mode

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to jchambers28

For your reading enjoyment. See page 6.

»www.braeburnonline.com/sites/def···_rec.pdf

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ

The thermostat may be missing the AuxEmergency heat jumper? and only be wired to the Emergency Heat terminal.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jchambers28

Last November, we took delivery of a house in the mountains of NC, that has a heat pump on 2nd floor with emergency "heat strips". When the Heating & Cooling guy walked me through the differences (It's our first heat pump) between that, and the conventional Gas furnace, I was told that in the case of this furnace, that if the temperature falls greater than 2 or 4 degrees [adjustable--I believe ours was set to 4 degrees by them] below the set temperature of the heat pump, that the emergency 'heat strips' automatically come on.....

However, with that said, there is a separate 'emergency' setting on the thermostat.... So the thermostat has a Cooling/Heating/Emergency setting..... I guess so in case of a failure of heat pump, it will work on Heat Strips only...

Sorry, forgot MFG of furnaces.... But it was 2013 construction.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to mix

I left it on heat last night and it was putting out at 26F last night I am going to tell them if they need more heat raise the thermo stat. And dont use emer heat.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

not knowing how handy you are your friend are, it may be wise to ask the HVAC tech next time a service is done, to verify that the aux will come on automatically.

There should be a setting in the thermostat menu that says when the room temperature is x* below the setpoint to kick on the aux heat.

With electrical backup it is ALWAYS* more efficient to use the heatpump + electric rather than just the electric heat.

(* The only exception to this could be on a older system if the outside temperature got very very cold - like 5* or lower. However newer heatpumps will give you more heat than energy used well below this outdoor air temperature.)
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.