floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

XS 3100 & 3 4200 upgradeable to IPv6???

Are the Roku 2 XS 3100 and the Roku 3 4200 upgradable from IPv4 to IPv6??? Comcast has upgraded to IPv6 in my area for sometime now. When IPv4 goes the way of the dial-up modem I need to know if these 2 Roku models will continue to work for me or stop working.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

As best I can tell, Roku does not currently support IPv6. But it's a linux based system, so it's not that hard for them to do so.

It's unlikely IPv4 will be gone by the time your grandchildren have grandchildren. (We've been working on IPv6 for 20 years already, and it's still lightyears from ubiquitous.)

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by cramer:

It's unlikely IPv4 will be gone by the time your grandchildren have grandchildren. (We've been working on IPv6 for 20 years already, and it's still lightyears from ubiquitous.)

Sure, it won't be gone by then, but by then v6 will be everywhere, most sites and content will have v6 access and lots of sites and content will not have v4 access. It's not about whether v4 still exists in any form but the v6 only content. With v4 even in North America about to run out of address space it won't be long until v6 only content will start appearing (in larger numbers).

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to floydb1982

Even *if* you're still using those devices at the time Comcast is only handing out IPv6 addresses, it's likely that most consumer routers will support 4in6 or some other form of translation for people running IPv4 devices on their internal networks.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

2 recommendations

reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

these 2 Roku models will continue to work for me or stop working

You'll be forced to buy a Roku 8 due to lack of service/software support by the time you run into IPv6 only content.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

1 recommendation

reply to floydb1982

I have been asking the same question of Roku.. When will you support IPv6..