uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

god awful 24" widescreen monitors -why?

I just got a new Dell Ultrasharp 2014 24" widescreen monitor. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want a wide screen monitor. I have not seen even ONE website that displays properly on it...including this website.

So, I figure folks must get them for youtube videos. Those will not run in above 360! I am not even offered any choice except auto and 360. UGH. The videos are blurry. My very old Dell Ultrasharp 19" 5:4 monitor plays the VERY SAME videos at 720 or 1080 HD. They look a million times better on it.

Plus, all websites appear to be written for 5:4 or 4:5 monitors. I am typing this on the new monitor. Pitiful display of the text box. It's way, way too wide and no vertical depth at all - instead lots of white space - there is absolutely TONS of blank white space all around it...blinding me. Plus, making me wonder why I got a wide screen monitor. EVERY website has tons of blank white space and a little tiny area where the website displays. On my older Dell Ultrasharp 19" 5:4 monitor the same websites use ALL AVAILABLE SPACE. Everything looks great.

I didn't want a wide screen monitor but it is very difficult to get a new 5:4 monitor even in 19" or 20". So, what is the appeal of these horrible things?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

Re: god awful 24" widescreen monitors -why?

said by Mele20:

So, I figure folks must get them for youtube videos. Those will not run in above 360! I am not even offered any choice except auto and 360. UGH. The videos are blurry. My very old Dell Ultrasharp 19" 5:4 monitor plays the VERY SAME videos at 720 or 1080 HD. They look a million times better on it.

Just a note on that bit.
Monitor resolution or aspect ratio has no bearing on what resolutions youtube offers on a video, you could watch a video at the 1080p setting on a 640x480 screen.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 8GB DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64| Xcelerate Broadband FTTH GPON 30Mbps/30Mbps

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

3 recommendations

reply to Mele20

I have a 24" widescreen, and I don't have any of the issues you speak of. This (and other) websites display properly, widescreen movies are great, youtube is fine at all settings, no issues at all. I might suggest that you check your video settings to make sure they match the native resolution of your monitor.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

3 recommendations

reply to Mele20

I have 24 hd wide screen and its fabulous.Zero complaints and have never had a problem.Sounds like you have low end machine or you dont have your video settings correctly.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Angry drunk eh? Will your new years resolution be not to buy something until you've at least seen it, or used one? Very few people still have 5:4 monitors, even laptops have gone widescreen in years past, so it's hard to completely avoid having seen them unless you lock yourself in a cave.

Your 1280x1024 monitor never was actually displaying anything near 1080. Websites, and Youtube videos are generally not something to judge a monitor on, however there are some 1080 youtube videos out there. If are you actually using your browser as maximized on a widescreen monitor, there's no need to, and you bought more room to multitask side by side, otherwise watch hd content near it's scale and resolution.

Now if you're not using the native resolution of the monitor you've created your own problems as these monitors have a set number of pixels.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

3 recommendations

reply to Mele20

Well, I run this OS on my desktop computer called "Windows", which lets me create these things called "windows". By using these "windows" I can size how much of the monitor space gets allocated to an application--how "tall", how "wide" (the exact aspect ratio I prefer). I understand there are a few other OSs which provide the same support.

Secyurityet

join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

So, I figure folks must get them for youtube videos.

Nope -- I use a widescreen so I can do work in one window while keeping email open, side by side...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Mele, is there something wrong with your video card or your settings, as mentioned?

I've got a very humble HP 23" screen. No, it's not a very good one, but I don't have your complaints, I inherited it from my departed dad and it is just fine. I honestly don't understand your complaints, I'm sorry.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Youtube videos were the furthest thing from my mind when purchasing my first widescreen. I'm now on my third (first one died, second one is now my secondary monitor). It's really changed how I use my computer. I no longer keep my browser maximized. Now I can see other windows while still having my browser a decent size. Generally, the only maximized window I use is Q-Dir...which I pretty much always have running.

At work, I use dual 24" 1920x1080 monitors. One of these days, I'll get me a second 1080p monitor for home...
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Very few people still have 5:4 monitors, even laptops have gone widescreen in years past, so it's hard to completely avoid having seen them unless you lock yourself in a cave.

I think the reason very few people have them is because they are made anymore, not because people don't like them! Especially on laptops, the loss of vertical size on the screen is extremely frustrating. From an entertainment with a view through their great but if you are doing anything business-oriented they aren't! I guess people playing games and watching videos have more financial resources than people running business applications do!

zurk
Premium
join:2009-11-08
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Mele20

try »theplanetbeat.com -- its optimized for widescreen lol.

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to Mele20

I have 3 of those ultra sharps on my desk - 5760x1200.... Worlds best thing.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Msradell

As far as monitor sizes and resolutions go, I just care about the vertical when comparing the 2 (old "square" vs. new "wide"); the extra width is gravy. Most of the old monitors I used were 1280x1024 (native); most of the new ones are 1920x1080 (for my desktop--don't really use anything else). So, I get more screen space both on the vertical and the horizontal. What's there to complain about?

(I think you dropped a "not" in your first sentence. [I do that all the time.])

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I just got a new Dell Ultrasharp 2014 24" widescreen monitor. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want a wide screen monitor. I have not seen even ONE website that displays properly on it...including this website.

Plus, all websites appear to be written for 5:4 or 4:5 monitors. I am typing this on the new monitor. Pitiful display of the text box. It's way, way too wide and no vertical depth at all - instead lots of white space - there is absolutely TONS of blank white space all around it...blinding me. Plus, making me wonder why I got a wide screen monitor. EVERY website has tons of blank white space and a little tiny area where the website displays. On my older Dell Ultrasharp 19" 5:4 monitor the same websites use ALL AVAILABLE SPACE. Everything looks great.

I didn't want a wide screen monitor but it is very difficult to get a new 5:4 monitor even in 19" or 20". So, what is the appeal of these horrible things?

Turn it up higher then 1024x768. LCD monitors are ment to be run at the highest resolution.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I have a Samsung 24" widescreen, the way websites display on it versus some of the smaller monitors I have had does take some getting used to (smaller monitors being more 4:3 rather than the 16:10 of the widescreen) but can have it's advantages in terms of being able to see more at once, I have yet to notice a major problem with the way DSLR displays on this montior. Where a monitor of this size and aspect ratio can really shine is when playing games (think CoD and other games that are really optimized for larger monitors).

said by Mele20:

Most websites are probably written and/or optimized for up to a display size of 20" and resolution of 1280x1024 (likely based on what the website developer thinks the median display size and resolution will be for most people visiting the site), and there are some that do not scale well to larger resolutions or display sizes (i.e. they have fixed sizes for things).
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to GlennAllen

said by GlennAllen:

As far as monitor sizes and resolutions go, I just care about the vertical when comparing the 2 (old "square" vs. new "wide"); the extra width is gravy. Most of the old monitors I used were 1280x1024 (native); most of the new ones are 1920x1080 (for my desktop--don't really use anything else). So, I get more screen space both on the vertical and the horizontal. What's there to complain about?

(I think you dropped a "not" in your first sentence. [I do that all the time.])

16:10 screens are better then 16:9 for computer use 1920X1200 (WUXGA)
16:10 is perfectly balanced
1920 FHD is a crappy resolution for computer use since it lacks vertical resolution

and is on par with SXGA resolution

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

Panel & monitor manufacturers standardizing on 16:9 resulted in cheaper panels & monitors. I'll settle for cheaper instead of more expensive especially since the resolutions used by the huge majority of people are what matters, not those of special purpose. The typical panels used for laptops aren't a problem because they're 16:9; they're a problem because they're low-res--based on 1024x768 but just wider. 1920x1080 is hardly "crappy", and it's still better than the 1280x1024 that it replaced (based on most popularly used resolutions of each "class"). Yes, of course I like my old 16:10 monitor better than the newer 16:9 monitors with regard to its "size", but the newer stuff is cheaper with more and better features. I'll take better and cheaper any day of the week; and I won't at all miss a few pixels at the bottom.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by GlennAllen:

Panel & monitor manufacturers standardizing on 16:9 resulted in cheaper panels & monitors...

That Kind of Points Back to the question I asked earlier, how does this size become the standard? They could've just as easily standardized on one of the older ratios that was much closer to square instead of widescreen. My bet is because people who play games and watch videos of their computers have a louder voice in the industry instead of those that use them for business purposes.

hmmm

@comcast.net

Well, I use a 17.3" 1600x900 monitor and most websites(including BBR) scale correctly. "Portrait" type tasks like word processing and PDF reading don't scale well on a wide screen and you have to zoom in. If your monitor supports it, you can set the display to "portrait" mode and turn the monitor 90 degrees. That way you have a 9:16 or 10:16 monitor with plenty of vertical space.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Mele20

I hate the wide windows. It is awful to read a line of text that is 16 inches long instead of narrow columns of text I can scan vertically. That is why I use the "restore" screen to narrow the width of the open window. Wide screens can be useful to display two open windows side by side so you can copy from one to the other. My wife is always maximizing the windows which drives me crazy, or rather gives my a pain in the neck from trying to read a line of text that wide. I prefer monitors which are taller, allowing more of a 8 x11 inch page to be viewed.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mele20

I personally can't stand 4:3 monitors anymore. I do a lot of programming and graphic design work, and all the applications I use are filled with toolboxes, bars and panels that eat a lot of horizontal space. I finally standardized on three widescreen monitors, use the entire center monitor as a canvas (or code window) and put all the floating panels on the other screens. Much more efficient for me.

Up until recently I'd been using a trio of old 1680x1050 (16:10) screens, but one of them failed so I replaced it with a 1920x1080 (16:9). This is actually a net increase in resolution despite the slightly wider aspect ratio. What really sucks are those cheapass laptop screens all fixed at 1366x768. Impossible for me to use for anything resembling work. When I bought my last laptop in 2009 I had to pay a completely absurd amount of money for a 1920x1080 screen just to be able to work on it.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Napsterbater

said by Napsterbater:

Just a note on that bit.
Monitor resolution or aspect ratio has no bearing on what resolutions youtube offers on a video, you could watch a video at the 1080p setting on a 640x480 screen.

Well, then why does Youtube offer ONLY 360 ON ALL VIDEOS on this new monitor? For instance, there is a great National Geographic video that I have watched more than once on my older 19" 5:4 Dell Ultrasharp and Youtube offers about 5 resolutions for it including 720 and 1080. But on this new 24" monitor which is 16:9 it only offers 360. It's the only HTML5 resolution offered for any video there. Why?

Once I figured out the initial problem with this monitor which Dell tech and supervisor could not figure out, it automatically used the correct resolution. (Initially, it gave a black screen saying the display port was not connected. It was but this monitor uses display port 1.1 by default. My video card uses display port 1.2. The Dell Small Business XPS hardware warranty techs had no clue about this - they decided I had a bad video card or bad mini display port to display port cable and were dispatching replacement parts. I realized what the problem was later when I checked the nVidia specs for my video card and saw it only uses Display Port 1.2 and I switched from Display Port 1.1 to 1.2 on the monitor and viola! the error disappeared and no more black screen but instant display at the correct resolution.
It comes factory calibrated (with the report included) for color. I did a bit of nVidia color adjustment though.

So, my question remains: Why is youtube only offering 360 and no other settings, no HD settings offered ? Yet I watch the same videos in 720 or 1080 HD on my older monitor.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Websites, and Youtube videos are generally not something to judge a monitor on

??? I have a computer primarily for the internet. If websites look crappy on wide screen monitors well....gee....that makes no sense. You are saying folks only have computers and monitors for work? If that is true then there would only be 5:4 and 4:5 ratio monitors! I don't get your point.

As for multi tasking, UGH! I have ADHD. I would get nothing done if I have a bunch of windows open on my screen! What a nightmare that would be. I bought a wide screen monitor because that is all there is now not because I wanted a bunch of windows open on the same screen. Having two monitors with both open to different websites is nice and I have had the older monitor connected via DVI and the new one by Display Port on my Windows 8 Pro XPS 8500 computer and that is cool (although I had the systray and Start8 on the older monitor and no systray on the new monitor and instead of Start8 the Windows 8 default start was there...and my mouse was physically connected to the older monitor and I guess that is why it didn't show on the new monitor). I can ignore one monitor as they are not sitting side by side (although a big selling point of the new monitor is that it has the world's narrowest bezel to facilitate the "seamless" use of two of these monitors side by side). On the other hand, if I have a bunch of windows open on one screen I will just get terribly distracted.

--

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

So, my question remains: Why is youtube only offering 360 and no other settings, no HD settings offered ? Yet I watch the same videos in 720 or 1080 HD on my older monitor.

Something to do with your configuration, for sure, but it's certainly not your monitor. You know you do this all the time. You have a problem that's unique to you and you blame the website for it when it's actually your own.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20

No one ever said you needed to open any more application windows than you want to have open, or that you couldn't still open other windows and not have them minimized to keep them "out of the way". And if you like to put stuff on your desktop that might "distract" you, then there's no reason you couldn't use a "null" application window (for example, the blank page of a browser in full-screen) to hide the real desktop. Just do a little window management instead of letting the application or site or monitor dictate your viewing area. It's your desktop. Configure it to your liking.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

my mouse was physically connected to the older monitor

Huh? I have two monitors, but my mouse is connected to the computer. Please explain...
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Mele20

I love my Dell U2410 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

If you use the same google account on a mobile device occasionally it will get stuck thinking you're still on it when you return to a desktop or laptop and only show lower quality as being available. Refreshing the page usually does the trick for me to allow it to kick back up to HD.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I have not seen even ONE website that displays properly on it....

Stop browsing AOL, xanga, and geocities.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

OttGuy

@ccra-adrc.gc.ca

2 recommendations

reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

how does this size become the standard? They could've just as easily standardized on one of the older ratios that was much closer to square instead of widescreen. My bet is because people who play games and watch videos of their computers have a louder voice in the industry instead of those that use them for business purposes.

Manufacturers did some analysis and realized they could get more screen panels out of the same amount of material if they used a 16:9 ratio vs 5:4.

Lower cost per screen means more profit for them.