Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin

Re: god awful 24" widescreen monitors -why?

said by robbin:

OK -- can you link to some of the 4:3 24" LCD monitors that you have experience with. I didn't know there were any at a reasonable price, ever.

We both know that rather few LCD screens above 20" were previously made in 4x3 or 5x4 ratio, and currently none, AFAIK.

And that manufacturers' decision was not driven by input from myself nor the OP of this thread.

It's a shame, too.

BTW, in this next Wiki page (linked from the one which you posted), a high-end new notebook has chosen to revert to a more square ratio screen (3:2).

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· ok_Pixel

Notwithstanding price, due to low mass-production factors, I'm interested, at least academically.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That was my point. The large 4:3 type displays disappeared with the change to LED. With the CRT, square was cheaper. With LED, any shape works. Did they just go with cheapest, or was the population wanting a wider monitor. I was never so happy as the day I took the squarish CRT off of my desktop and installed the new, widescreen LCD. I still prefer a 16:10.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by robbin:

The large 4:3 type displays disappeared with the change to LED.

However, it was not a sudden and simultaneous cutover of production from CRT to LCD at the same time as wider aspect ratios were offered.

An awful lot of 5x4 LCD screens were made in 17 thru 19 inch sizes with 1280x1024 pixel panels (which I still use), and there was a very significant period (several years) when 4x3 and 5x4 ratio units were made in common sizes in both LCD and CRT, with few or no wide screens being built yet.

As a former reseller, I can attest to that.

LCD screens of ANY description were much more expensive than CRT ones during that time, and only as mass production was fine-tuned on LCDs did their costs and selling prices converge with CRT.

Wide profile panels were introduced as one means for manufacturers to accelerate that convergence.

If they had waited a bit longer, the general LCD price would have fallen anyway, due to mass production, and we instead would now still have more ratio choices in all sizes.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin

BTW, that Chromebook which I mentioned above has a 13" 2560x1700 touch-screen panel in it (which looks to be IPS tech, due to its 178 degree viewing angles), and several other features which contribute to its price point.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

And they're nuts for putting a display like that in a Chromebook. It's like taking the body of a Bugatti and bolting it to a Geo Metro.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by sivran:

And they're nuts for putting a display like that in a Chromebook.

t's like taking the body of a Bugatti and bolting it to a Geo Metro.

Could be, but it serves to support one of my points - i.e. that manufacturers COULD produce standalone or notebook displays with resolutions such as 1920x1200 or 2560x1440, in mainstream sizes and at not too crazy retail prices, based on TODAY's costing at THEIR level.

Besides, Apple is constantly building things like what Google just did, and it's de rigueur for THEM.

Actually, some OTHER parts of that Chromebook are pretty advanced too.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Mele20

to Mele20
Since I have one of those, and if the only thing you do is look at web pages all day, I strongly suggest you turn your monitor 90 degrees and view the pages vertically, your vid card should support rotation, if not get a new one..

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

PhoenixAZ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: god awful 24" widescreen monitors -why?

Don't run everything in full screen, use multiple windows and you'll love the large monitor and workspace.