orange whip?
Premium Member
join:2002-05-16
Yorkville, IL

edhalen to aight

Premium Member

to aight

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 2014

Finally some NICE weather consistently! Supposed to be beautiful through the weekend. Enjoy!!

»www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory ··· site=lot

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
It's a Honeywell and it has a Auto setting. It's older newer ones I assume would be better. »yourhome.honeywell.com/h ··· 500D.htm It has heat, cold and Auto for between seasons. It has IIRC a 10 deg different in Auto mode so it's not switching back and forth between heat. But I would like to have one where it has the external sensor and it would set the internal temp accordingly.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Ours sets the humidity based on outside temps (during winter). I've never seen one that sets inside temps based on outside temps. Is there a benefit in that?
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli

said by 67845017:

I've never seen one that sets inside temps based on outside temps. Is there a benefit in that?

Mine "knows" whether to use first stage or go right to second stage based on the outside temp, and the needed rise in indoor temp.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

But is that something you can set using the thermostat?

We have this one and I couldn't find anything like that.
»www.lennox.com/icomfortwifi/

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

But is that something you can set using the thermostat?

We have this one and I couldn't find anything like that.
»www.lennox.com/icomfortwifi/

I have the same one. I set the humidity to what I want. It seems like it reads in the house. I wish I knew how to figure it out to auto sense the correct humidity. Any idea?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 edit

67845017 (banned)

It should be automatic based on a formula that takes into account the outdoor temperature and inside humidity level. For us, during this winter the indoor humidity was constantly changing depending on how cold it was.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

It should be automatic based on a formula that takes into account the outdoor temperature and inside humidity level. For us, during this winter the indoor humidity was constantly changing depending on how cold it was.

Hrmm, any idea how to set that? I manually change it. I can't seem to find the settings to set to auto..

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
said by Parneli:

said by 67845017:

I've never seen one that sets inside temps based on outside temps. Is there a benefit in that?

Mine "knows" whether to use first stage or go right to second stage based on the outside temp, and the needed rise in indoor temp.

What I'm thinking is not basing it on outside temp. I was thinking more like I can set the thermostat temp at 70 and it will either run the heat or AC to maintain that temp based on the inside temp. I think managing fluctuations in outside temp would be to big a PITA.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Most thermostats have the Auto setting. But as Warzau said, there's a temperature differential of several degrees so as to prevent cycling between heating and cooling.
said by SuperNet:

said by 67845017:

Hrmm, any idea how to set that? I manually change it. I can't seem to find the settings to set to auto..

I'll have to look once I get home. But from what I remember, it was just a simple setting that you could get to from the humidity settings page. I'll try it when I get home tonight and post a message.

67845017 (banned)

I couldn't find where the humidity is set based on outside temperature. I know when we had the system installed that's what the person told me. Plus during the winter I saw the humidity fluctuate based on outdoor temps. Maybe it's automatically set to do that when hooked up to a humidity sensor?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

I couldn't find where the humidity is set based on outside temperature. I know when we had the system installed that's what the person told me. Plus during the winter I saw the humidity fluctuate based on outdoor temps. Maybe it's automatically set to do that when hooked up to a humidity sensor?

Thanks for looking, I have a humidity sensor I think, I know I have a temp sensor.. What lennox furnace do you have?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

SLP98V - Variable heat

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
More like a set it and forget it. Keep it a 72 and it would do so. Regardless if summer or winter.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

So the problem would be switching between furnace and AC, which is apparently hard on the system. The old mechanical thermostats used to be like that. We had one back in the 80s. I remember even back then we were told not to use the auto setting.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

So the problem would be switching between furnace and AC, which is apparently hard on the system. The old mechanical thermostats used to be like that. We had one back in the 80s. I remember even back then we were told not to use the auto setting.

I guess something I didn't think about before too is that you would have to leave the house closed up all the time. Probably better if I just get off my ass and push a button.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Probably . . . but the advantage with the new thermostats is that you don't need to get up and go press a button. You can do it straight from your smart phone.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Well not in the same day. More like if it was 40deg on monday and 80 on saturday. I guess Im a lazy ass.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by Warzau:

Well not in the same day. More like if it was 40deg on monday and 80 on saturday. I guess Im a lazy ass.

That's kind of what got that thought going for me. Once things stabilize it's fine. It's those spring/fall days when it's mid/upper 70s during the day and in the 40's or 50's at night that are a pain. It may be warm when I go to bed, then I'll wake up freezing my ass off. The I come home from work the next day and it's 800 degrees in the house because I didn't turn off the heat.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Man, I saw the current storm cell moving over Norridge and Harwood Heights from the West towards the south/east. It was pretty, and huge!

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight

Gorgeous 4th of July week-end.

Happy 4th of July everyone!
adam9c1
join:2014-05-01
USA

adam9c1

Here we go...
I have a bad feeling that we will loose power...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Sad news to report from the movie / comedy world. We lost Robin Williams today. Cause of death is suspected to be suicide.

Read more here

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 050.html

»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· s-at-63/

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

Sad news to report from the movie / comedy world. We lost Robin Williams today. Cause of death is suspected to be suicide.

Read more here

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 050.html

»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· s-at-63/

I agree, very sad.. When I heard the news, I couldn't and didn't want to believe it.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608

I came home that night and found everything I could to stream of his from any of his live events. He is going to be truly missed.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Shit, I'm tempted to turn on the heat.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

I did to take out the chill, it was nice...

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by SuperNet:

said by Jon5:

I did to take out the chill, it was nice...

Except for the smell of burning dust that built-up inside the furnace over the summer...

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Yeah I did turn it on for a few hours and got that first start up smell. Reminds me of whats coming

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight

Is this right? We are supposed to get a half inch of snow tomorrow?
WTF! It's only October.