Click for full size
I hope this is wrong.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I use Rainmeter, and pull the weather information from an RSS feed from weather.com. So, when I got up this morning, I saw this:

The number displayed is the predicted HIGH temp for the day.

Going to Weather.com, and looking at the 5 day forecast, I see this for Sunday

We see that the actual air temp for the low Sunday night is predicted to be -19, with a wind speed forecast of 23 MPH.

With that information, I then show you exhibit #1: NWS / NOAA's Wind Chill Chart

If we look at the chart at -20 (we'll round up) and Wind Speed of 25 MPH, it does show a wind chill of -51!

So yes, if all of the forecasts are true, it is going to be very very cold outside Sunday night and into Monday.

--Brian

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight

So let me get this straight, we get another 6 - 8 inches of new snow then we get hammered with a -51? WTF.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

My outside thermometer says 29 right now. I thought I heard something about more snow this weekend though. WTF?

aight
Lafox, IL

2 edits

aight

Click for full size
From WGN

"Widespread 4 to 8 inch totals are expected, but the latest computer guidance is trending upward with some forecasts now hinting that a foot of snow could fall in some locations."

This looks similar to the Jan 1 storm.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to aight

Premium Member

to aight
What.....The.....F**k
This better be total for the year

Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli

said by Jon5:

What.....The.....F**k

Is there any chance that you could sell that big snowblower you just bought..... I mean, we didn't have this kind of snow last year before you had it...
Parneli

Parneli to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

If we look at the chart at -20 (we'll round up) and Wind Speed of 25 MPH, it does show a wind chill of -51!

Somehow I missed that there was a change, but this was on WGN's site:

A wind chill of -40F to -50F is equivalent to -60F to -74F on the old wind chill chart (prior to 2001).

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
said by Parneli:

said by Jon5:

What.....The.....F**k

Is there any chance that you could sell that big snowblower you just bought..... I mean, we didn't have this kind of snow last year before you had it...

No see I think the problem is I didn't pay for it. I got it from my step father who got a new one. Had I actually spent 500-600 bucks, that would have virtually guaranteed it wouldn't have snowed.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 edit

SuperNet to aight

Premium Member

to aight

Well give it back! Maybe the snow will stop ..

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Seriously. Enough

aight
Lafox, IL

1 edit

aight

I'm wrong, this thing is going to go on until 10pm and then it's going to be too cold
to shovel and we freeze.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

For those in NW Indiana:
Until further notice, NO VEHICLES except police, fire and other emergency vehicles are to be on the road.

Lake County Commissioner and Lake County Sheriff John Buncich have declared a state of emergency for all of Northwest Indiana. Until further notice, only emergency vehicles, law enforcement, medical and highway department vehicles are to be on the roadways.

»local.nixle.com/alert/5118830/

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to aight

Premium Member

to aight
So... anyone had enough of winter yet? After some pretty mild ones past few years, I say we have caught our weather karma.

At least we have some above freezing temperatures in the near future.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to aight

Premium Member

to aight

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Sorry no foxtrot today. Fuck it's cold!

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

I had to go out in the yard and carry in one of my dogs this morning. They were out there literally for only like 2 minutes. Two of them said fuck it and turned around and came right back in as soon as their feet hit the ground.

My outside thermometer shows -13 right now.
alana
join:2009-10-20
Lake Geneva, WI

alana

My dog (She is a Chug) didn't even go down the one step. She did her business and turned back around.

I haven't shovled for them in the back yard since Friday so it is deep again.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Click for full size
bleh

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 edit

SuperNet to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

I had to go out in the yard and carry in one of my dogs this morning. They were out there literally for only like 2 minutes. Two of them said fuck it and turned around and came right back in as soon as their feet hit the ground.

My outside thermometer shows -13 right now.

My puppy went pretty quick as well, then tried to play in the snow.. I am like seriously dog, wtf!

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to aight

Premium Member

to aight
balls
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to aight

to aight
I lost power for 3ish hours today. Something happened along 59 and took out a bunch of homes. House got down to 56. It's back to normal now.

Thermometer outside said -12 during that interval. Ouch.
Parneli
Naperville, IL

Parneli

said by slk2k:

I lost power for 3ish hours today. Something happened along 59 and took out a bunch of homes. House got down to 56. It's back to normal now.

Thermometer outside said -12 during that interval. Ouch.

More than a bunch! Suntimes quoted com ed as 24000 customers. The com ed map said Montgomery and 59, New York and 59 and then further West of the mall too.

aight
Lafox, IL

aight

This week-end is going to feel like Spring. I might barbecue outside.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

No kidding. And hopefully get rid of some of this damn snow.
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to Parneli

to Parneli
said by Parneli:

More than a bunch! Suntimes quoted com ed as 24000 customers. The com ed map said Montgomery and 59, New York and 59 and then further West of the mall too.

Metea Valley HS lost power and that's along Eola just south of Diehl so it was pretty wide spread. Trib reported that ComEd stated they had equipment failure at a substation. Either the one by the train station along 59 or one in the complex along Diehl just east of Eola Rd. Either way, power was being restored in a rolling fashion. A neighbor a few block away had power about 45 minutes before I did. Wife was worried about pipes freezing. Luckily, I have a house where no plumbing in an outside wall. Basement seemed warmer than the house!!

TJ_in_IL
join:2006-06-10
Winthrop Harbor, IL

TJ_in_IL to aight

to aight
Anybody here on the RRTP plan from ComEd? WTF is up with the prices today? I have never seen it sustained that high for this long in the 3 years I have been on it.
Just wondering why, if they knew this was going to be a demand day....

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by TJ_in_IL:

Anybody here on the RRTP plan from ComEd? WTF is up with the prices today? I have never seen it sustained that high for this long in the 3 years I have been on it.
Just wondering why, if they knew this was going to be a demand day....

I am but haven't looked at it. Are you saying demand shouldn't effect RTP? I though that was the whole point. Isn't the only time we ever get screwed during super high demand when the RTP goes over the flat rate? Maybe I'm just confused by your last statement.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to TJ_in_IL

Premium Member

to TJ_in_IL
I am on/following the RRTP. It is now time to figure out how to get off of it. $2 per kWh earlier today was ridiculous. Schaumburg signed a deal for 5.08 cents/kWh for brown energy and 5.16 cents/kWh for green energy so its time to change to that.
Parneli
Naperville, IL

Parneli to aight

to aight
From Trib:

After electricity demand soared during Tuesday's continuing bitter cold, one of the country's largest electric grid operators asked consumers in Illinois and several other states to turn down the thermostats a touch during peak usage hours Wednesday.

PJM Interconnection, which coordinates wholesale electricity distribution in 13 states including Illinois, is also asking residents to avoid using power-gulping appliances like the stove, dishwasher and washers and dryers between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and 7 p.m..

Demand in the PJM Interconnection's territory reached 140,835 megawatts Tuesday morning, far above typical winter usage of 110,000 to 120,000 megawatts, a PJM spokeswoman said. Summertime peaks can reach 165,000 megawatts, the spokesman said.

Electricity use was expected to peak again Tuesday night and taper off as temperatures rise.

The last time the organization asked consumers to curb usage was in the summer of 2006 after several days of high temperatures, Paula DuPont-Kidd said. Such efforts can prevent more drastic measures like planned outages or voltage reductions.

Some commercial and industrial consumers that participate in a demand response program run by a company called EnerNOC were asked Tuesday to switch to alternative power sources such as generators for several hours.