spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK

Beating the TPIA modem dead horse...

Has ANYBODY had success with having something like a DCM476 being added to their account as a legitimate DOCSIS 3 modem? I have recently tried after acquiring one, only to have my customer service ticket being sat on for 35 days before being called by Rogers and asked politely to shove it.

I'm aware of the policies, but the Hitron stories aren't really instilling much faith in me...

bigMc
@rogers.com

bigMc

Anon

Keep at it if you have the time. Do not accept a ticket. Ask to speak to Teir II, they can add the mac and serial directly to the system. Once added, the modem can be authorized.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

I spoke to Tier 2 and was told the same thing that Customer Fufillment told me unfortunately.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to TNK

Premium Member

to TNK
Even if you do there's no guarantee it will stick if Rogers performs an audit.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to TNK

to TNK
Having a ticket will do absolutely nothing. It will just be rejected by whoever comes around to reviewing it as Rogers does not allow non-Rogers modems on their network for retail services.

If you're lucky you may get a rep who is willing to trick the system into thinking your modem is a SMC D3 gateway, but that will limit you to tiers that only require 4x4 channel bonding.
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

3 edits

zamarac

said by yyzlhr:

that will limit you to tiers that only require 4x4 channel bonding.

Why SMC? Rogers offers modems with 8x4.

Another thing - is such substitution only for accounting purposes? Because the config file sent to one's modem must correspond to its hardware and firmware. It can't be a config for a different model - or it can, if they are D3 standard based? The config file type is likely negotiated automatically, if config for this model is present at all on ISP network, only its sub plan related content can be changed via accounting DB.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by zamarac:

said by yyzlhr:

that will limit you to tiers that only require 4x4 channel bonding.

Why SMC? Rogers offers modems with 8x4.

Another thing - is such substitution only for accounting purposes? Because the config file sent to one's modem must match its hardware - right? It can't be a config for a different model - or it can? Or the config file type is negotiated automatically, only its sub plan related content can be changed by reps?

The system seems to accept any modem disguised as an SMC.

Because the SMC that Rogers carries is only 4x4, the system will think you only have a 4x4 modem so you will not be able to sign up for tiers that require an 8x4 modem.
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to TNK

to TNK
You might want to ask fulfillment why there are close to 130 other people with DCM 475 and 476's on the red side without problems.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

said by arthurwinslo:

You might want to ask fulfillment why there are close to 130 other people with DCM 475 and 476's on the red side without problems.

The problem with this is that it's unsubstantiated. I can't say in earnest "well there's 130 other people with 475/476 modems, why can't I?". I can't back it up if they call me on it.
Expand your moderator at work
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to TNK

to TNK

Re: Beating the TPIA modem dead horse...

No you're totally right. Plus, the agents you are talking to would not even have the access to verify what I posted. So I do apologize I cannot share anything of use for you in that regard.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to keep calling until someone does it for you.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Because the SMC that Rogers carries is only 4x4, the system will think you only have a 4x4 modem so you will not be able to sign up for tiers that require an 8x4 modem.

How a customer can check, what modem type and settings & speed limits & capabilities were actually set by the ISP in his modem config file or recorded in the provider's database under his modem MAC? Are their any utilities for that, or one would only be able to check it by calling the ISP?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by zamarac:

said by yyzlhr:

How a customer can check, what modem type and settings & speed limits & capabilities were actually set by the ISP in his modem config file or recorded in the provider's database under his modem MAC? Are their any utilities for that, or one would only be able to check it by calling the ISP?

You have to call.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

**UPDATE**

After my 5th call they authorized it!!! Removed the old modem, connected the new and TO MY DELIGHT the modem successfully ranged 8 downstream channels and 3 upstream!

...however my joy was short lived. My router is leasing an address of 10.68.xx.xx and giving me no Internet. It's almost a Rogers version of a sync-no-surf those blue folks always talk about!

It's given me 1 DNS starting with 24.153 as well. Any ideas now? Modem diagnostics show "operational" status code. Provisioned address "yes". Provisioned time "yes". Provisioned configuration "yes".
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Does it work without the router? Maybe it's not even provisioned properly since it's not supported. Even unactivated modems will connect to the CMTS, they just cannot access the internet.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to TNK

to TNK
Mac Locked maybe to the Old Modem?

TNK
HNVION17

1 edit

TNK

Surfboard 5100
said by morisato:

I'm wondering if this is it. Plugged in my old Surfboard 5100 in and it still works.

Here's the BIZARRE thing. I'm getting 25 down sustained now and 35 speedboost. Prior to me trying all of this, I was capped at 10/1. Being on extreme I wonder if now I'm being allotted extreme speeds via DOCSIS 2!

Interesting times indeed. I'm going to call support back tonight and see why it still isn't working.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

There are essentially 2 provisioning systems. The first recognizes the modem so it can get an internal IP for itself, allowing it to do a parameters load to enable the channel bonding. The second links the modem to your account and connects it to the DHCP server.

Rogers does the first provisioning with all the modems it rents and sells when they receive them from the supplier. For non-rogers modems, they have to do the first provisioning.

When you have a modem that has had the first provisioning, but not the second, you will end up in the situation you're in, with a modem that syncs and channel bonds but ends up in Rogers walled garden. This is why your old Surfboard still works ... it's still in the second provisioning system.

This is why Rogers doesn't want to provision customer supplied modems. Most of the phone techs don't have the knowledge on how to do this job properly.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

Click for full size
DCM476 8x3 bonded on Rogers!
Ladies and gentleman, today...I won.

...sort of.

After calling tech, who transferred me to fulfillment, the DCM476 was provisioned properly! See the image for all of the glory that is a legit DOCSIS 3 modem-only on big red!

Only problem is now is that I'm not getting any different speeds than before :/. Makes me wonder if I'm still on a D2 speed profile despite the fact I'm 8x3 bonded as you can see.

Take me as proof! Reinforce your request, be polite & patient (as I did obv) and great things will come!

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The speed you get is dependent on your package ... not the modem.

It looks like you're on a 25/1 package ... The advantage of the D3 modem is in times of congestion that would slow the D2 modem, you're less likely to suffer a speed dip on the D3.

Otherwise they are the same.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

said by sbrook:

The speed you get is dependent on your package ... not the modem.

It looks like you're on a 25/1 package ... The advantage of the D3 modem is in times of congestion that would slow the D2 modem, you're less likely to suffer a speed dip on the D3.

Otherwise they are the same.

UPDATE

I called in again and apparently the system says I have a DCM425...which regrettably is a D2 modem and hence why I'm still on this package.

Now it's about getting someone who can change it to a proper D3 modem...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

That will do it!

mk1_416
@start.ca

mk1_416 to TNK

Anon

to TNK
said by TNK:

said by morisato:

I'm wondering if this is it. Plugged in my old Surfboard 5100 in and it still works.

Here's the BIZARRE thing. I'm getting 25 down sustained now and 35 speedboost. Prior to me trying all of this, I was capped at 10/1. Being on extreme I wonder if now I'm being allotted extreme speeds via DOCSIS 2!

Interesting times indeed. I'm going to call support back tonight and see why it still isn't working.

Was the 25Mbps result with or without your router connected? If it was without your router connected then the router is limiting you to 10Mbps. Check the settings, you should have it set to 100 or 1000/Gigiabit. Had the same until I realized that the setting was reset to 10, put it to 100 and my 25Mbps connection started running at 25 again.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

said by mk1_416 :

said by TNK:

said by morisato:

Was the 25Mbps result with or without your router connected? If it was without your router connected then the router is limiting you to 10Mbps. Check the settings, you should have it set to 100 or 1000/Gigiabit. Had the same until I realized that the setting was reset to 10, put it to 100 and my 25Mbps connection started running at 25 again.

Not the issue, that speed was with speedboost. I'm still 10/1 sustained.

Well, long story short is that they won't give me a D3 profile. I can use the modem as long as it's on the D2 profile even though when I called to tech he saw that I was bonded 8x3.

Oh well...maybe I should grab a ZyXEL (Hitron) 8x4 and see if they will provision that.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

If you're going to go the Hitron route why don't you just use the Rogers one and avoid the hassle?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to TNK

Mod

to TNK
Complain to the CCTS and CRTC.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

What is the CCTS going to do? No where in Rogers TOS does it state that they allow any modem that conforms to the DOCSIS standard on their network.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to TNK

to TNK
said by TNK:

they won't give me a D3 profile

With what explanation? Try reaching a supervisor and voice record his explanation, then contact CCTS as the 1st step.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to TNK

Mod

to TNK
CCTS is going to do the SQRT of 0 ... but the point is to log a complaint. If enough complaints are lodged then it will get more nad more visible as a problem that should be looked at.

Similarly with the CRTC.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac

I wonder if someone already dealt with CCTS on this issue and reported back here? Their decision will also depend on the complainant's ability to articulate the issue. Rogers TOS doesn't say that subscriber's tier will depend on whether the modem was supplied by Rogers or not, no matter what the specs are.