All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Neo62381
join:2003-04-18
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Internet connectivity options for remote Branch office.

Have a branch office in Houston, TX which needs internet connectivity, all of the DSL/Cable providers in the area don't offer any service (industrial area)...

Anyone have any experience with any other methods? I've often thought about one of those CDMA HWIC cards for a Cisco router, but it seems somewhat of a hackjob...

I don't want to have to pay "big money" for a simple internet connection if I don't have to.
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431

PtP wireless to a nearby location with a good connection?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Neo62381

MVM

to Neo62381
said by Neo62381:

one of those CDMA HWIC cards for a Cisco router, but it seems somewhat of a hackjob...

If you get useable 3G / cell coverage in the area, I'd hardly call those things a "hack job."

No "business class" options like MPLS, fiber, etc. available either, OP? If not, then as the previous poster
said, you're looking at a wireless solution of some sort.

My 00000010bits

Regards
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to Neo62381

to Neo62381
You could pay for them to build out their services. Might see if any others in the area want services and split the build out cost.

We use a CradlePoint with a AT&T aircard for a temporary location, works well enough.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Neo62381

Premium Member

to Neo62381
When we moved offices for a short time (while we waited on our AT&T fiber) we used a 4G cisco router (worked ok)
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

You could pay for them to build out their services. Might see if any others in the area want services and split the build out cost.

We use a CradlePoint with a AT&T aircard for a temporary location, works well enough.

i have used cellular routers in some really remote locations, but those locations were either temporary or upgraded to a WISP (that was not available when we first started).

i'd look around and see if any providers offer wireless internet.

the cellular router works great, assuming you have coverage, but you will need to consider your monthly bandwidth. most of the wireless cards, if you go the cellular route, will cap out at 5gb.

supposedly Verizon is offering larger packages, but i havent seen anything yet.

if you look into the cellular router/air card consider a static IP address even if you dont think you will need it.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu

said by tomdlgns:

most of the wireless cards, if you go the cellular route, will cap out at 5gb.

supposedly Verizon is offering larger packages, but i havent seen anything yet.

AT&T is $50 for 5gb and $10 per gb for overages, same price per gb.

Every company has gone to the share plans so don't know how that works out. Verizon was cheaper per gb if you knew you were going to have high usage very month. We use 25-30gb per month at the site with cellular.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

we use verizon, i am sure they have overage charges, but we have 10 devices and the data is pooled. cards have gone over 5gb, but many are around 2-3gb per month, so being in the pool helps. i never had to look at overage charges.

however, good job pointing that out...not that bad unless you really abuse it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
so basically if you do cell for the link get a riverbed infrastructure too and have the router do a vpn to corp
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852 to Neo62381

to Neo62381
Millenicom, there's even a forum here on DSLR for it. 50gigs on Sprint and 20 through Verizon.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to mikefxu

Premium Member

to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

I use CradlePoint with Verizon aircard as a backup for my lab. Works great when Cox Business (rarely) goes down.