spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jeff G
join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Appears router not up to snuff

Ok guys looking for router recommendation. My current trendnet appears to not handle the new speed. ~50 direct to modem. ~35 same hard wire connection. So what routers are you guys using with good experiences???

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

What is your price point? I am using the Asus RT-AC66U and love it. Best router I have ever used.

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Well I cheaped out last year and bought this trendnet and that got me to this year. I would like to not have to replace if we get another speed bump

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6 to Jeff G

Premium Member

to Jeff G
»www.maximumpc.com/asus_r ··· r_review

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to Jeff G

to Jeff G
I have been taking a hard look at this router was thinking of pulling the trigger next week. I have a home built gaming pc with an Asus mother board and an Asus Zenbook that have done me well so I was hoping the router would be as good glad to hear the good review from ptrowski.
NetworkNH
join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Just my two cents, but I've been using the new Netgear "Nighthawk" R7000 with phenomenal results (it's one extremely fast router), especially with the new firmware (V1.0.2.194_1.0.15). Apparently other users have experience issues, but I have yet to have any. Got mine at Best Buy with the 2-year replacement plan (has come in very handy in the past, just walked in and swapped it out, can't beat it!).

koan00
@metrocast.net

koan00 to Jeff G

Anon

to Jeff G
I'm also rocking the Asus RT-N66u.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Just ordered the router and a wifi card to go to AC will let you know how it preforms

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Just ordered as well, had a deal of the deal wish me luck.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to Jeff G

to Jeff G

got mine setup today. The good news is that it is dual band and my laptop works better on the 5 ghz band.

The bad news is also got a new mini pci AC wifi card but the antenna plugs are bigger on the new card then the old so I can not attach the antennas.

They are both Intel cards as well, don't know why the connectors would be not be the same.
DFisher83
join:2013-07-29

DFisher83 to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Just an FYI if you have the ARRIS docsis 2.0 modem make sure you switch it out for the 3.0

I just saw today that Metrocast upgraded the speed and mine was at about ~30mpbs and the tech said it was because I have the 2.0 and that I needed to get the 3.0

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to Jeff G

to Jeff G
I think the few that find this forum are the type that would be on top of the 3.0 modem issue but check other people you know if they have an old modem get them to call in and get a new one. I ran in to some one that still had a SB3100 I think it can do 10 max and he was paying for 30 down.

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Yep all set modem wise using a 6120.
Jeff G

Jeff G

well guys thanks for the support and insight it would appear so far this Asus router is a keeper

Chick
join:2000-12-27
Niantic, CT

Chick to nelamvr6

to nelamvr6
Anyone know the difference between the 68U and the 66U and have a preference?

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to Jeff G

to Jeff G
The U68 is 50 bucks more and has Broadcom TurboQAM technology which I am to understand can shape the signal and aim to the client. Of coruse you need a client with it as well.

Sadly the ratings for it on Newegg are bad.

I wanted to buy it but the extra 50 bucks and the lack of mini pci cards with Broadcom TurboQAM technology stopped me. Plus the bad reviews.

So I went with the U66.

Chick
join:2000-12-27
Niantic, CT

Chick

Thanks Bill