spc
Search similar:

uniqs
newfielander
join:2014-01-02
Middle Arm Gb, NL

newfielander

HDMI audio

Hi everyone, newbie here. I need help with regards to hooking my blue ray player directly to my computer monitor using a HDMI cable,which both the monitor and player as a HDMI ports, player with the output and the monitor with the input. My problem is my monitor as no speakers built in, so I was hoping if I used some kind of connector so that my blue ray's video is showing on my monitor and the audio would be heard on a external set of speakers. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?
Thanks

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Please post the brand/model of your blu-ray player -- it all depends if it has separate audio outputs or not.
newfielander
Middle Arm Gb, NL

newfielander

Hi thanks for the responds, my player as only one HDMI port,but I was wondering if I used a HDMI splitter, and ran one HDMI cable to the monitor and the other to a speaker.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

You won't find a speaker or receiver with HDMI input, unless it also has an HDMI output. In which case, you run HDMI from the bluray to the receiver, and another from the receiver to the monitor. The receiver will pull the audio and pass the video to the monitor.

Short of that setup, you would need either a separate audio output on the bluray player, or some sort of audio output on the monitor. I'm not aware of any that have that, without also having built in speakers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I know not long ago I saw some HDMI device that splits off stereo audio

some audio installers used it to connect some stuff in the conference room.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to newfielander

Premium Member

to newfielander
Does your Blu-Ray player have analog audio outputs (red/white RCA jacks)? If so, your best bet would be to use those.

Otherwise, you'll have to get a home theater receiver with HDMI pass-through.

Also wondering... if you're just going to play movies on your computer monitor why didn't you just get a Blu-Ray drive for your computer?
newfielander
Middle Arm Gb, NL

newfielander

TheMG I was wanting to use my monitor as a screen to watch video on without having to drag around a pc. Its a 1080 24 inch monitor,so I didn't want to buy a 1080 tv if I could get this idea to work. I can plug the player to the monitor and watch the video but without sound and of course that's no good.
Camelot, thanks for that comment regarding not finding a speaker with a HDMI input in,I do have a speaker that as a USB input so I thought there maybe a speaker with a HDMI input. .............................guys there must be a way around this,without having to buy a new player or TV!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to newfielander

Premium Member

to newfielander
Apparently what you want is an Audio Extractor like this:

»www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Pr ··· 0AHS8LD8

Which includes One HDMI Input to:
One HDMI Output [would go to your monitor]
One SPDIF Audio Output and [would go unused]
One RCA R/L Stereo Audio Output [would go to your (powered) speakers]
newfielander
Middle Arm Gb, NL

1 recommendation

newfielander

THANKS darcilicious !!!!! I knew you were out there somewhere,thanks again!