spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Booost

@optonline.net

Microcenter treats customers like criminals

Today a cashier at the Paterson NJ Microcenter store refused to complete an in-store (card present) transaction using my Visa Signature credit card without me showing them identification. That is not allowed by their merchant agreement. Microcenter harasses their customers and treats them like criminals. Go shop at Newegg or Amazon instead.

Statement from Visa corporate office:

said by Visa :
Merchants may not refuse to honor a Visa card simply because the cardholder refuses a request for supplementary information.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by »usa.visa.com/download/merchants/···ants.pdf :
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the
specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID
a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular
card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because
a cardholder refuses to provide ID.
Rules change, they can ask for ID. They can't say no as a reason of policy, but they can come up with a multitude of different reasons why they said no that you can't refute.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Booost

There are exceptions. Was the card signed? Is the name on the card a trans-gender type name that could seem to be a male (if being used by a woman) or a woman (if used by a man?) Was the transaction unusual in other ways?

You really don't know why they refused the transaction when you refused to show ID.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Booost

@optonline.net

said by KrK:

There are exceptions. Was the card signed? Is the name on the card a trans-gender type name that could seem to be a male (if being used by a woman) or a woman (if used by a man?) Was the transaction unusual in other ways?

You really don't know why they refused the transaction when you refused to show ID.

Card was signed. Nothing unusual about the transaction. I've shopped there before and was in their database. They even looked me up.

Manager said ID is for my protection. That's bullshit. I have $0 liability, so Microcenter is not protecting me, just harassing me.

(Last time they asked for ID, I declined to provide it and they completed the transaction with no hassle. That's fine.)

So I did their survey, gave the cashier bad marks. Added a comment similar to the above. Am considering filing a formal complaint with Visa at 1-800-VISA-911.

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Over showing ID? Really? Just so I know, why would you not show ID?

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to Booost

How dare they not know who you are! I don't understand why this is such a big deal. So what if you take a couple of seconds to flash your ID?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Booost

@optonline.net

2 recommendations

reply to Midniteoyl

said by Midniteoyl:

You show your drivers license to just anyone who asks? Here's an idea, post a copy of your license in this thread.
said by Visa :
Many cardholders have expressed concern about the recording of supplementary personal information on a bankcard sales draft.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Booost

Report them to VISA.

said by Booost :

Today a cashier at the Paterson NJ Microcenter store refused to complete an in-store (card present) transaction using my Visa Signature credit card without me showing them identification. That is not allowed by their merchant agreement. Microcenter harasses their customers and treats them like criminals. Go shop at Newegg or Amazon instead.

Statement from Visa corporate office:

said by Visa :
Merchants may not refuse to honor a Visa card simply because the cardholder refuses a request for supplementary information.

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN
reply to Booost

No.. however, every time I have been asked (which is very, very rare) it has just been a cursory glance at the name.. Much too fast to commit info to memory.

But thanks for not answering the actual question. Heres another or two.. Is your card signed? And why did you have to had your card to the cashier in the first place? No POS system?

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Booost

Wish this was the only thing I had in my life to make me crazy, lol....smh...

How do they know you didn't just find that card laying in the parking lot? If it gets used, and the real owner disputes charges, the merchant is screwed. I think they should ALWAYS ask for picture ID. It's disappointing when they don't, and POS machines add to that risk. Visa doesn't care about you OR the merchant with their TOS, they only care about the sale going through so they make $$ on it.

And doing the survey and giving the cashier "bad marks" for following his/her job rules is pretty lousy. Not their fault what the rules are. Shame on you.

A "formal complaint"? Really? LOL.....is this your life???
--
The Alien in the White House

22,046 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

6 recommendations

reply to battleop

said by battleop:

How dare they not know who you are! I don't understand why this is such a big deal. So what if you take a couple of seconds to flash your ID?

Because he doesn't have to show his ID and because he doesn't want to. That's the only 2 reasons he needs. Oh, and because it's a special day here is 1 more: Visa doesn't require him to either.
--
No Victim=No Crime

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Booost

Credit card thread... I forget, is it flip the mattress for credit card threads, or is that tipping threads?

I just have slips of paper covering my address and license number. All they see is name and photo. Never has a cashier said anything about it.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to Booost

said by Booost :

Unfortunately it's a few dishonest individuals that ruin it for the rest of us.

Can't really blame the merchant for it. They are just taking measures to protect themselves against credit card fraud.

In the case of a stolen credit card, sometimes the credit card company will absorb the cost, sometimes they don't and they will chargeback the fraudulent transactions which obviously is a big problem for the merchant especially if it's a substantial purchase.

They're protecting themselves by ensuring you're not using a stolen credit card.

Before chip-and-pin credit cards came into existence, many retailers here in Canada would ask for ID especially on large purchases.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Booost

I have never had any problems like this at Micro Center locations in Houston and Richardson, Texas. They both are great.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

Credit card thread... I forget, is it flip the mattress for credit card threads

Smoke detector batteries?
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

Booost

@optonline.net

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

How do they know you didn't just find that card laying in the parking lot?

Yeah, because:
• There's no way I could also have the matching ID if I found it in the parking lot. Nobody keeps their cards and IDs in the same wallet.
• People who use stolen credit cards don't have the means to make a fake ID with a matching name.
• When people have a stolen credit card they use it in person instead of, oh, making a phone or online purchase.
• And cashiers are experts in detecting fake IDs. No way anyone could get past them.

My credit card numbers have been stolen several times. But not once have they been used for an in-person transaction. Every time, it's been an online or phone order. So that's why we need to harass in-person store customers. (rolls eyes)

Treating your customers like criminals makes no sense. It encourages them to shop at other stores. Amazon would have been cheaper. Next time, I'll order from Amazon instead of shopping at Microcenter.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Booost

Im glad they asked you for an ID, just an extra step in security. You should carry an ID on you at all times. And if you dont carry an ID on you, thats your fault. Please visit your local DMV for an official state ID.

imanogre

join:2005-11-29
Mcdonough, GA
reply to Booost

Microcenter doesn't have to ask for ID, but they do.

You don't have to produce it.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. No one is forcing you to shop there.

Meanwhile, since microcenter is going to reduce the number of items lost due to credit card fraud, they can lower prices since they no longer have to pay for the loss.

And with lower prices, I'll start to shop there.

Win-win-win

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Booost

said by Booost :

Yeah, because:
There's no way I could also have the matching ID if I found it in the parking lot.

With a matching picture?
said by Booost :

People who use stolen credit cards don't have the means to make a fake ID with a matching name.

Too much trouble, too little time. The window of opportunity is minutes to few hours in most cases before the card is reported as lost/stolen.
said by Booost :

When people have a stolen credit card they use it in person instead of, oh, making a phone or online purchase.

Most companies will require the billing address and will only ship to the billing address or to an address registered with the issuer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to imanogre

said by imanogre:

Microcenter doesn't have to ask for ID, but they do.

You don't have to produce it.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. No one is forcing you to shop there.

Meanwhile, since microcenter is going to reduce the number of items lost due to credit card fraud, they can lower prices since they no longer have to pay for the loss.

And with lower prices, I'll start to shop there.

Win-win-win

I shop there anyways since CPU prices are lower than anywhere else, and they knock $40-60 off a mobo if you bundle.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

jrudol

join:2001-01-23
Pipersville, PA

2 recommendations

reply to imanogre

That would be fine ,but if they want to accept Visa they agree to Visa's rules. Let them stop accepting Visa/MC

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Booost

They are protecting themselves from chargebacks from stolen cards (do you blame them?). Don't like it? Use cash.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17

2 recommendations

reply to Midniteoyl

said by Midniteoyl:

"Papieren bitte!", said the nice man from the Gestapo.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

If you have these kind of fears it's probably better to use cash if anyone remembers what that is.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Booost

BUT Merchant Agreement contracts state that if the card is NOT signed the card and not be accepted without the customer showing a gov't issued ID and signs the card in front of the merchant. If they refuse to do both- the card can be refused.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to billydunwood

Only if it is not signed. Then again, it's a merchant agreement rule that Visa and Master Card both drafted and enforce. Sign the card with ID if not signed- no accept the card- card that is not signed is not valid until signed.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Booost

I keep my cards and my ID in the same wallet. Many people actually do.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to motoracer

The thing is though if the card is signed, the merchant is still in violation of the merchant agreement and rules. And what's what the OP is saying. Charge backs or not- it's not Visa's problem nor the OPs. Maybe Microcenter needs to come up with other ways to protect themselves than not following their contract with Visa and the other cards and banks.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

Only if it is not signed. Then again, it's a merchant agreement rule that Visa and Master Card both drafted and enforce. Sign the card with ID if not signed- no accept the card- card that is not signed is not valid until signed.

They are required to ask if the card is not signed. They can ask whenever they want even if the card is signed. You may want to re-read the merchant agreement from Visa. It is not against the rules to ask for the ID any more. It changed with the recent law changes with credit cards.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin
Expand your moderator at work