Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG

Re: Microcenter treats customers like criminals

Almost always they make the MERCHANT eat the fraudulent charge.
It's very rare they take it themselves.
Expand your moderator at work

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Booost

Premium Member

to Booost

said by Booost :

said by La Luna:

How do they know you didn't just find that card laying in the parking lot?

Yeah, because:
• There's no way I could also have the matching ID if I found it in the parking lot. Nobody keeps their cards and IDs in the same wallet.
• People who use stolen credit cards don't have the means to make a fake ID with a matching name.
• When people have a stolen credit card they use it in person instead of, oh, making a phone or online purchase.
• And cashiers are experts in detecting fake IDs. No way anyone could get past them.

My credit card numbers have been stolen several times. But not once have they been used for an in-person transaction. Every time, it's been an online or phone order. So that's why we need to harass in-person store customers. (rolls eyes)

Treating your customers like criminals makes no sense. It encourages them to shop at other stores. Amazon would have been cheaper. Next time, I'll order from Amazon instead of shopping at Microcenter.

There you have it, your card number was stolen many times, and they knew that and were trying to protect the card holder, you. Sorry, but this is beyond silly.
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94 to Booost

Premium Member

to Booost
Furthermore, hurting the cashier deliberately when jobs are so hard to find is cruel. The cashier doesn't deserve to be treated this way, they are doing their job. Shame shame.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

1 recommendation

Midniteoyl to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Yep.. If you're having your card stolen numerous times, you have a lot more problems than simply showing your ID..

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Thespis

Premium Member

to Thespis
said by Thespis:

said by sivran:

Credit card thread... I forget, is it flip the mattress for credit card threads

Smoke detector batteries?

That must be it. Especially considering one of my smoke detectors started beeping this very morning! Uncanny!
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to Booost

Premium Member

to Booost
said by Booost :

Next time, I'll order from Amazon instead of shopping at Microcenter.

If you use a credit card at Amazon, they'll "ID" you by forcing you to enter your name, address, phone number, credit card number, date of expiration, and CVV2. Then they'll bounce that data off the master server and verify your purported identity. If you ask me, that's more invasive than flashing a picture ID to a store clerk.

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to sivran

to sivran
said by sivran:

said by Thespis:

said by sivran:

Credit card thread... I forget, is it flip the mattress for credit card threads

Smoke detector batteries?

That must be it. Especially considering one of my smoke detectors started beeping this very morning! Uncanny!

Coincidence?

I THINK NOT!!!!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to Booost

Premium Member

to Booost
said by Booost :

Today a cashier at the Paterson NJ Microcenter store refused to complete an in-store (card present) transaction using my Visa Signature credit card without me showing them identification.

1) Paterson is a very high-crime rate city as it is. If you live there, that's not the greatest thing. If you don't live there, the machines are going to wonder why your card is being used there.

2) Considering the emergency weather conditions in much of the country, maybe the link was down to get the transaction electronically approved in real time.

3) Or, perhaps [your] card causes alerts to be flashed, if you have already had your card number stolen several times as you claim. In that case you should be glad that they are trying to prevent further problems.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Secyurityet

Premium Member

to Secyurityet
said by Secyurityet:

said by Booost :

Next time, I'll order from Amazon instead of shopping at Microcenter.

If you use a credit card at Amazon, they'll "ID" you by forcing you to enter your name, address, phone number, credit card number, date of expiration, and CVV2. Then they'll bounce that data off the master server and verify your purported identity. If you ask me, that's more invasive than flashing a picture ID to a store clerk.

Amazon is a bad example as they do not check addresses, or CVV2 codes.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

they do not check addresses, or CVV2 codes

Interesting -- so you can order something from Amazon without giving a billing address?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

You need a "billing address" but they don't care where you are sending it or what your billing address is. Most online merchants will only ship to the address on file with your card, Amazon and Wal*mart being some of the larger exceptions.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

Rakeesh to Booost

to Booost
said by Booost :

said by La Luna:

How do they know you didn't just find that card laying in the parking lot?

Yeah, because:
• There's no way I could also have the matching ID if I found it in the parking lot. Nobody keeps their cards and IDs in the same wallet.
• People who use stolen credit cards don't have the means to make a fake ID with a matching name.
• When people have a stolen credit card they use it in person instead of, oh, making a phone or online purchase.
• And cashiers are experts in detecting fake IDs. No way anyone could get past them.

My credit card numbers have been stolen several times. But not once have they been used for an in-person transaction. Every time, it's been an online or phone order. So that's why we need to harass in-person store customers. (rolls eyes)

Treating your customers like criminals makes no sense. It encourages them to shop at other stores. Amazon would have been cheaper. Next time, I'll order from Amazon instead of shopping at Microcenter.

They aren't treating you like a criminal. If they were doing that, they'd delay you and you wouldn't know it until the police were already there asking you questions.

The idea is to filter out 99% of credit card fraud by seeing if they have an ID that has the same name as the credit card and has a picture that looks at least somewhat similar to the person carrying that card. Can you defeat this system? Absolutely. But the chances of it happening are pretty low.

Unless you store your ID card in your anus, it should be one of those things that is readily available wherever you go. If somebody asks for it, it isn't a big deal. I mean fuck, I'd like you to go to a bar and tell the bouncer that you refuse to show ID. Watch how far you get.

I used to work retail. You're one of those annoying customers who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread and treats all of the employees like shit because he finally found a place where people will put up with his asshole ways.

People outside of the store hate you because you're so full of yourself, and when they don't give you the respect you think you deserve you go take it out on retail employees who you're convinced that you're smarter than, when in reality you make them look like Einstein.
Expand your moderator at work
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to hitachi369

to hitachi369

Actually, if the card is not signed, the merchant must demand ID and then demand the customer to sign the card. If the card is not signed at that time, the card is void. The same as it was before. And I have re-read my merchant agreement. Visa states that you can not ask for ID unless the card is NOT signed, if the customer refuses to sign- you refuse the sale. It's not that hard.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to hitachi369

to hitachi369
WM depends on the dollar amount. And Amazon does check the information on that card.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

Put a new card in Amazon, do you type in your CVV2 value? Nope.

The address verification is a bit harder to show, but I personally have used other people's cards in my Amazon with no issues. I also work for a bank and have seen no issues with address verification and Amazon.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by hitachi369:

Put a new card in Amazon, do you type in your CVV2 value? Nope.

The address verification is a bit harder to show, but I personally have used other people's cards in my Amazon with no issues. I also work for a bank and have seen no issues with address verification and Amazon.

Yup, absoultely agreed. Just to make sure, I just entered another card on my Amazon account and didn't need the CVV2 number. I have also shipped packages to places other than my billing address with no problems. Totally agree with you.

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

Unless you store your ID card in your anus, it should be one of those things that is readily available wherever you go. If somebody asks for it, it isn't a big deal. I mean fuck, I'd like you to go to a bar and tell the bouncer that you refuse to show ID. Watch how far you get.

I used to work retail. You're one of those annoying customers who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread and treats all of the employees like shit because he finally found a place where people will put up with his asshole ways.

People outside of the store hate you because you're so full of yourself, and when they don't give you the respect you think you deserve you go take it out on retail employees who you're convinced that you're smarter than, when in reality you make them look like Einstein.

So how do you really feel?
Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl to hitachi369

to hitachi369
Agreed... I have several other family members cards under my account.. No verification.

Booost
@optonline.net

1 edit

Booost to Rakeesh

Anon

to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

Actually, when a store employee does a good job, I'll send an email (or even mail a letter) to the management saying so, with a comment saying they should put a copy in the employee's personnel file.

I simply want Microcenter to follow Visa's rules. If they're concerned about credit card fraud, they can compare my signature to the signature on the back of the card. That's what it's there for. That don't need ID to protect themselves.

Regarding other peoples' comments:

My card number has not been stolen "numerous" times, I said "several" times. Can't you read? One time it was stolen by someone working for Amazon (yes, really), another time by a local restaurant employee (never went back there), and another time when my wife fell for a telephone phising attempt (I warned her when she was on the phone, but she never listens to me). There may have been another time that I've forgotten.

Amazon doesn't care about the shipping address. I ship my mother a Christmas present every year, and Amazon doesn't care.

The Paterson Microcenter is not in a high-crime area.

I have $0 fraud liability (like most people), so I do not need, nor do I want, Microcenter's "protection".
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 edit

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Booost :

My card number has not been stolen "numerous" times, I said "several" times.

A fine distinction that I don't even think Sheldon would make. In any event, the fact of it does not necessarily imply fault. But your cards are probably flagged in some way at this point.
said by Booost :

I have $0 fraud liability (like most people), so I do not need, nor do I want, Microcenter's "protection".

You may but the merchant doesn't, and they are tired of paying for fraud. Not fraud from you, but fraud from someone pretending to be you. (The "you" used in a general sense. Substitute "Joe" if you like).

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

1 recommendation

Midniteoyl to Booost

to Booost
Isnt this whole thread you started a 'flame' against Microcenter?
billydunwood
united state

1 edit

billydunwood to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Booost :

My card number has not been stolen "numerous" times, I said "several" times.

A fine distinction that I don't even think Sheldon would make. In any event, the fact of it does not necessarily imply fault. But your cards are probably flagged in some way at this point.
said by Booost :

You may but the merchant doesn't, and they are tired of paying for fraud. Not fraud from you, but fraud from someone pretending to be you. (The "you" used in a general sense. Substitute "Joe" if you like).

Well, when Microcenter agreed to take Visa cards, they signed the agreement saying they cannot deny a Visa sale because somebody doesn't want to show ID. Also, when you accept Visa(and other cards) for that matter, you acknowledge that there is a possibility of fraud. They can ask for ID, absolutely. But if the card is signed, the person doesn't have to provide ID and the merchant can't refuse the sale.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by billydunwood:

Well, when Microcenter agreed to take Visa cards, they signed the agreement saying they cannot deny a Visa sale because somebody doesn't want to show ID. Also, when you accept Visa(and other cards) for that matter, you acknowledge that there is a possibility of fraud. They can ask for ID, absolutely. But if the card is signed, the person doesn't have to provide ID and the merchant can't refuse the sale.

I can't disagree w/ any of that.

But from the merchant POV, they have a gun to their head. No merchant can refuse to take cards, and yet they are forced to sign extremely one-sided agreements with the card processors.

For that matter, Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex, are so much alike, and there is so little competition, that they are in effect a 4-headed monopoly.

That's supposed to be illegal.

Also supposed to be illegal are contracts that are extremely one-sided and where there was no real negotiation. That's called a contract of adhesion.

So if you defend the Visa Merchant Agreement, you are really defending the same sort of behavior that the Godfather did---an offer they couldn't refuse.

TL/DR:
said by billydunwood:

Well, when Microcenter agreed to take Visa cards, they signed the agreement saying they cannot deny a Visa sale....

To my poor mind, an agreement includes the word agree. There is no true agreement, no contracting of equals, no free negotiation.

The Catholic Church declares some marriages annulled on the same principles.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by billydunwood:

I can't disagree w/ any of that.

But from the merchant POV, they have a gun to their head. No merchant can refuse to take cards, and yet they are forced to sign extremely one-sided agreements with the card processors.

For that matter, Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex, are so much alike, and there is so little competition, that they are in effect a 4-headed monopoly.

That's supposed to be illegal.

Also supposed to be illegal are contracts that are extremely one-sided and where there was no real negotiation. That's called a contract of adhesion.

So if you defend the Visa Merchant Agreement, you are really defending the same sort of behavior that the Godfather did---an offer they couldn't refuse.

TL/DR:
said by billydunwood:

Well, when Microcenter agreed to take Visa cards, they signed the agreement saying they cannot deny a Visa sale....

To my poor mind, an agreement includes the word agree. There is no true agreement, no contracting of equals, no free negotiation.

The Catholic Church declares some marriages annulled on the same principles.

Merchants sign the contract because they usually get A LOT more money and customers by now accepting VISA. They can stay a cash only business if they want to, no one is forcing them to sign anything. However, they sign it because they want a lot more money and customers, which is exactly what VISA is doing by allowing them to accept VISA.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Click for full size
1958 ad for Travelers Checks
It was a simpler time
But you still had to sign 'em.

Parry
@comcast.net

Parry to Midniteoyl

Anon

to Midniteoyl
LOL comes a point where... Cash is king. At least you'll not have to wait for another card to arrive in the mail!

Seriously, just do cash if showing an ID is that annoying. And yeah, merchants can just refuse service, it's their store. :/

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost to PX Eliezer1

Anon

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

But your cards are probably flagged in some way at this point.

I've been a customer of this CC company for almost 20 years, and have used my card on two continents without any problems. I charged $47,000 last year on this card. No one has ever asked me for ID except for this one Microcenter store.
said by PX Eliezer1:

Then they should be checking signatures instead of violating their merchant agreement and harassing their customers.
said by Midniteoyl:

Isnt this whole thread you started a 'flame' against Microcenter?

It's a "rant". See the title of the forum. (rolls eyes every time someone questions why a rant is in the Rants, Raves, and Praise forum)