Have torch, might travel

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Icarus
Just took the buses home from work. BRR... And classes start tomorrow (I wonder if school will get canceled because of the storm) I already have an assignment I've been working on, trying to get those rusty brain cylinders to fire in sequence, darned timing's off!

If the buses start late tomorrow they will want me coming into work late, but that means missing classes, so I can't do that. Hmm... We've got 2 more months or so of this, this winter is living up to expectations so far, it's cold and snowy, it's coming down here already at 1 PM, the roads and sidewalks are quite slippery.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
First day is usually nothing. But have had some classes that were filled with waiting lists. Do not show get dropped and replaced with someone who was on waiting list and did show up.

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

3 recommendations

reply to Icarus
It's COLD here today, we didn't get much snow and it's very powdery -- but the sun is out! Chill factor is close to zero because of the wind.

A friend of mine in Chicago sent me a set of booties for Missey; the question I have is why would anyone buy booties in four different colors??? They're too small for Missey, so I tried them on Inky. Just took this and thought I'd post it for laughs! Took her out long enough to do this little video; I didn't bother with clothes for her as she has a good winter coat, but idiot me didn't bother to grab a coat. Dumb!

Anyhoo, enjoy!

»youtu.be/Ooo6B2W4ZAk

--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

2 recommendations

Click for full size

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef
You need a better coat of fur, JoJo!
--
Join Team Helix

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
Made it up to 7F today after about 8" of snow overnight. Quite windy though which put the windchill well below zero. Forecast is for below normal temps for the next week to 10 days or so. -5 to-10F tonight. Im counting on Howie to put an end to this on SuperChuck Sunday in a week and a half!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Icarus:

Im counting on Howie to put an end to this on SuperChuck Sunday in a week and a half!

Hold not thy breath, lest ye turn bluer than the weather will make you!
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
said by Icarus:

Im counting on Howie to put an end to this on SuperChuck Sunday in a week and a half!

My goal is a great forecast. However ...
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
The 2 of you Jersey fellows really need to work on those pep talks!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
New Joisey???? Ah, that explains everything!
--
Join Team Helix

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to Icarus
Pipes freeze,pipes thaw,pipes break and everything below the break gets wet! This has been the last 6 hours of my day at one of the properties I caretake. Tomorrow I get to play with the plumbers!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Bummer. I had to deal with that once, soaked carpet throughout house. Not fun at all.
--
Join Team Helix

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
On the bright side....the plumbers dont send me the bill!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
... and it isn't your house, so you don't have a big hotel bill in addition to the cost of repairs and carpet drying.
--
Join Team Helix

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to Icarus
Most of the damage is in the basement and he works in the city and is home mostly weekends,soooo........when he gets home he wont appreciate whats been done on his behalf while hes gone.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to Icarus
The radiator pipes in my apartment aren't in the walls, they are in the room, hope they never burst because I'll get scalded. There's two of them going upstairs one foot beside me.

Folks, a tip: leave the kitchen and bath cabinet doors open during this cold so the pipes don't freeze. Unless you've got kids to worry about.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

said by signmeuptoo:

Folks, a tip: leave the kitchen and bath cabinet doors open during this cold so the pipes don't freeze. Unless you've got kids to worry about.

Another useful trick is to keep the water running a bit ...
--
Jamais le mal n'aura le dernier mot. La foi et l'amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by squirt:

said by signmeuptoo:

Another useful trick is to keep the water running a bit ...

It only needs to be a regular drip, not a stream of water; just enough to keep the water moving through the pipe.
--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
Our car is stuck in the slush about a half block from home. Tow truck should be here within 3 hours. Oh, the fun of winter.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Did you have to walk home from it? Oh the fun of cars! That's why I think I want another Jeep, as much as I care about low fuel usage, 4WD is useful in snowy regions, sometimes.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw
It was a pretty short walk home. Unfortunately, the car is blocking the whole street right now. But that's what happens when some idiot thinks it's a good idea to break up one section of snow in the middle of the street on a warm day. That part turns into a bowl of slush, and guess what ... cars are going to get stuck in it. End of rant.
--
Jamais le mal n'aura le dernier mot. La foi et l'amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Well if anyone kids you about it, just reply "Aw SLUSH up"!
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing

3 recommendations

the car is now unstuck!

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to squirt
said by squirt:

.....idiot thinks it's a good idea to break up one section of snow in the middle of the street on a warm day.

So if Im understanding this correctly the roads are snow packed normally and someone partially cleared the snow off a section which then melted creating the mess you got stuck in? Better splain it to me like Im 5.
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
The roadway had been snowpacked for quite a while.

We've had a 3 or 4 day warm spell, and it has been gradually melting.

In one section in the middle of road, somebody decided to break up the snow pack to let it melt faster.

They didn't clear it. They broke it up and left uneven 'chunks' in the middle of the road.

As this continued to melt and people drove through it, it became quite an uneven mess of slush.

So, as you drive along, you go through a section of the road where you're going nicely through the long-established tire ruts and then have to get through past this section and back into the nicely established tire ruts.

We almost made it through. But not quite.

Some neighbours tried to help, but we ended up having to wait for the AAA guy to get there.
--

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center

1 edit
OK,I got it. Here its rare if the roads,at least the most traveled ones,stay snowpacked for more than a day or so after a heavy snow. Im guessing its normal for you all to have the snowpack for longish periods? How thick is it?
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
Yup. Snowpack is pretty normal around here. It can be weeks before the city gets around to blading side streets. In some places it's about 10 or 12 inches. And the height increases when it's broken up.

It's still a real mess in that part of the road. For now, we are taking an alternative route.

edit: the city came through and plowed last night and now everything is just fine again
--