All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
bigkens
join:2013-07-27
Ottawa, ON

bigkens to wayner92

to wayner92

Re: Why such a big premium for unlimited on Teksavvy Cable 150?

said by wayner92:

So am I better off sticking with Rogers for now? I don't have unlimited and I technically don't qualify for it since I don't have Rogers phone (I have used Vonage for phone for about 9 years).

But I suspect if I call Rogers to cancel that they will give me unlimited for $10/month or less as a retention offer.

I tried getting Rogers retentions to do the $10/month for unlimited, but they wouldn't do it unless I signed up for 3 services (home phone, cable TV, cable Internet). If you just wanted unlimited Internet, it's an extra $30/month on top of the package price, which works out to $155.99/month.

Prior to starting to bill for overages, TekSavvy's CEO Marc said that they are planning to offer an "opt-in" usage option where, in exchange for unlimited usage all day every day, your download speed is reduced by 50% from 8pm-12am. It is discussed here: »BETA my account portal v2 - need your help
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I saw that Opt-in usage plan. That makes sense for me, especially since even when FTPing from my VPS in the Netherlands the best I can get with a multi-segment FTP downhload is 9.5MBps which is about 75 Mbps or half of the theoretical top speed anyhow. And that is my biggest demand for speed - streaming services, even Amazon, use WAY less bandwidth.
wayner92

wayner92 to bigkens

to bigkens
said by bigkens:

I tried getting Rogers retentions to do the $10/month for unlimited, but they wouldn't do it unless I signed up for 3 services (home phone, cable TV, cable Internet).

I don't understand this perspective from them. I have TV, internet and cell phone but not home phone. I spend well over $100 per month on the cell phone, but they don't give you credit for that. Plus I have a Rogers cell and iPad data that are paid for by my company. So I am a freakin' Rogers poster boy but they want me to get home phone?

And who needs a POTS phone in 2014 anyhow - I may ditch mine as it is rarely used.
bigkens
Ottawa, ON

bigkens to wayner92

to wayner92
Just to be clear, the "opt-in" unlimited usage for 50% reduced download speed isn't available yet to my knowledge, but it looks like TekSavvy is seriously considering it and, when made available, sounds like it would be perfect for your situation.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to wayner92

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

And who needs a POTS phone in 2014 anyhow - I may ditch mine as it is rarely used.

While it's certainly not an "everyone needs it" service anymore, there is still a very large market for home phone, especially POTS.
bigkens
Ottawa, ON

bigkens to wayner92

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

said by bigkens:

I tried getting Rogers retentions to do the $10/month for unlimited, but they wouldn't do it unless I signed up for 3 services (home phone, cable TV, cable Internet).

I don't understand this perspective from them. I have TV, internet and cell phone but not home phone. I spend well over $100 per month on the cell phone, but they don't give you credit for that. Plus I have a Rogers cell and iPad data that are paid for by my company. So I am a freakin' Rogers poster boy but they want me to get home phone?

I couldn't agree more. It's completely ridiculous that Rogers wireless services don't count for the +$10/month unlimited Internet promotion. Then again, it shouldn't surprise me since the vast majority of their promotions are designed to get you locked in to as many services as possible.

A friend of mine actually got the 3 services just to get the $10 unlimited Internet promotion. So he technically had a home phone but never hooked it up, since this still ended up being cheaper than paying massive overage fees (which are capped at $100 over the price of your plan, I think?).
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark to wayner92

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

They don't care about wireless when it comes to bundles on the cable network. I managed to get the unlimited for $10 extra a month when I was with Rogers but this was by giving me a promo for the router for 1 year, lowering my cable bill cost and something else. This wasn't a contract but a promo and I didn't really have to try that hard to get it having no home phone.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by Trentelshark :
They don't care about wireless when it comes to bundles on the cable network
But they should care because wireless is my biggest bill each month. If I moved to a competitor they would see the largest drop in revenue, although I guess I am stuck with my two year contract.
Trentelshark
London, ON

Trentelshark

said by wayner92:

said by Trentelshark :
They don't care about wireless when it comes to bundles on the cable network
But they should care because wireless is my biggest bill each month. If I moved to a competitor they would see the largest drop in revenue, although I guess I am stuck with my two year contract.

You got it, those damned contracts, at least for the time being . I agree they should care, but the truth is they really don't. Unless there is as huge shift in customers one here and one there they will barely notice. Someone else will come along and just pay the asking price meaning they make more off them in the long run.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to bt

to bt
said by bt:

While it's certainly not an "everyone needs it" service anymore, there is still a very large market for home phone, especially POTS.

Yes, but I am guessing the folks that want unlimited 150/10 internet service is highly correlated with the sort of person that doesn't see the need for POTS so why force it on us.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to bigkens

to bigkens
said by bigkens:

said by wayner92:

said by bigkens:

I couldn't agree more. It's completely ridiculous that Rogers wireless services don't count for the +$10/month unlimited Internet promotion. Then again, it shouldn't surprise me since the vast majority of their promotions are designed to get you locked in to as many services as possible.

A friend of mine actually got the 3 services just to get the $10 unlimited Internet promotion. So he technically had a home phone but never hooked it up, since this still ended up being cheaper than paying massive overage fees (which are capped at $100 over the price of your plan, I think?).

I believe Bell allows wireless as part of their 3 product bundle to qualify for the $10 unlimited. I think Rogers simply doesn't offer it because they use two separate systems for residential and wireless, whereas Bell uses one. The lack of integration at Rogers between the two lines of business makes it impossible to offer the $10 unlimited option for wireless customers without significant IT costs.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Why are we talking about "wireless" plans in a thread about wired cable?
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to bigkens

to bigkens
Doesn't this opt-in program kill some of their existing mid-speed unlimited ranges? Why pay $100/month for unlimited 45Mbps service when you can pay $87 for 150Mbps service which shrinks to 75Mbps during primetime? Am I missing something or is not the reduced 150/10 superior in every way to unlimited 45Mbps?
wayner92

wayner92 to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
Because of bundling and what you need in your bundle to get unlimited internet.
Trentelshark
London, ON

Trentelshark to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

If the incumbents want to complain about capacity, why does wireless not count when bundling? Same fibre I would think for data at the end of the day. They unbundle it on purpose...I see this as relevant to trying to talk you into home phone for $10 vs $30 unlimited
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Did you lose the ability to read?