Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

In the market for an HDTV

I'm going to buy a new Samsung HDTV for the living room to replace the Toshiba 27" CRT. I'm looking towards the 32" since that will be about the same size as the 27" tube tv.

Are the HDTVs at Costco the same ones Best Buy sells. I'd like to have Best Buy price match so I can pad my RewardZone balance. Or are the ones Costco sells better, even if they're the same brand.

I'd like to go full 1080p but would settle for 720. I'd like grandma to have a nice TV since she spends most of her day in bed watching TV due to poor health. I'm looking to spend around $250 or so.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO

The higher-end models are pretty much the same across retailers, but the big-box stores usually have lower-end custom models made just for them so that they can avoid the direct comparisons with their advertised specials. If you are going to try price matching, you need to compare the exact same model.

You might take a look at the middle tiers, especially the end-of-year/new model season stuff, since that is where they fight the most. I've had pretty good luck with previous year model closeouts - last years higher-end are this years middle.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

My wife and I just bought a 60 inch Samsung plasma from Costco and there is a Best Buy in the same strip mall so we looked both places that night.

The model numbers at Costco are slightly different 5350 vs. 5300 at Best Buy. They do that so the stores do not have to price match or "beat any price" like their ad says.

I compared the models at the Samsung website and the specifications were identical except the 5300 display type is "Plasma" and the 5350 is "Plasma Display Panel" (they mean same thing).

The 5350 at Costco was $100 cheaper and came with a two year Samsung warranty the 5300 only came with a one year Samsung warranty.
So it was a no brainier to buy it at Costco.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I'd like to go full 1080p but would settle for 720. I'd like grandma to have a nice TV since she spends most of her day in bed watching TV due to poor health. I'm looking to spend around $250 or so.

Honestly no point in getting 1080p on a 32" TV unless your viewing distance is less than 4 feet (and that's assuming 20/20 or better eyesight)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

See: »Re: New 32" and 37" 720p televisions viewing distance info and that thread in general has some good information...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Red_Menace

said by Red_Menace:

but the big-box stores usually have lower-end custom models made just for them so that they can avoid the direct comparisons with their advertised specials.

Just to clarify that, they definitely do not manufacture different models, they simply give them slight variations in the model number. Sometimes it's nothing more than adding a "WM" to the end of the model number (encountered that with some baby items, e.g. stroller, high chair, etc when I wanted Target to price-match it). I also own a Samsung BD-P1590 Blu-Ray player from Walmart while even Samsung's own website pretty tells you it's really their BD-P1600.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

I have two brands in the house - One is a 32" Samsung 1080p Smart TV (32EH5300) and the other two are 32" Sony 720p 'non-smart" TVs (KDL-32R400A). I bought the second one last night. for my lovely bride's BD to use in her project room. This one is upgraded from the one I bought last year, and it has some nifty features like shutting off the screen if you're just listening or using a ROKU or media player to stream music. It also syncs seamlessly with the Sony BluRay player I got my LB for Christmas.

Although the Samsung is sharper when you get within 3 or 4 feet of the screen, the Sonys are still very sharp, have better flesh tones and a simpler setup menu. The difference is not noticeable beyond four or five feet. If she's a pixel peeper, with sharp critical eyes, she might see a difference. However, after having a CRT, she;ll likely marvel at the clarity.

The Samsung's color depth doesn't seem to be as great, and it shows up more on face shots. As for sound, I like the Sony's speakers better.

Unless your grandmother is somewhat attuned to setting up electronic stuff from on screen menus, I'd say get the Sony. She's probably going to be more interested in simple operation than in an array of configuration options.

As for the Samsung 'smart TV' option, IMO it's not ready for prime time and I wouldn't waste money on it. It loads slowly, the browser won't support current versions of Flash and it tends to hang up trying to load a channel form the apps. I recommend just getting a ROKU if you want to stream media or music. The Shoutcast and Pandora apps are great and easy for a non-techie to navigate.

So, bottom line, I'd pick the Sony for grandma. At $287,It's a little more than the $250, but I think it's worth the extra few bucks for simplicity of operation and better picture and sound.

Note the Sony appears to be discontinued, so it may not be available for long. I hate that Sony seems to be abandoning the smaller screen TV market.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/egeezer/

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to Hall

The innards are most likely the same, but if it is a different model number then the product has to be different, otherwise you will run into price fixing or false advertising issues. Usually it is something simple like a cheaper remote or bezel/stand or something, but the manufacturing run would still be different.

dbamber

join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
reply to IowaCowboy

I don't know how much you purchase from Costco, but if you buy enough the Executive membership is the way to go. You get 2% cash back, and in the 5 years we have been Costco customers we always got back more at the end of the year than the annual cost of membership. We use the Costco Amex card which also has varying amounts of cash back paid every Feb. When you use the Amex card the warranty is doubled, and you have I believe a 90 day return policy. I would suggest that you get a slightly larger screen for grandma. The 32 inch 16/9 screen gives you about the same viewing area as a 25 inch 4/3 crt screen. I'm not a fan of Samsung, but to each their own. BTW, You might try looking into Costco for prescriptions. My wife and I saved enough to pay for monthly round trips to the closest Costco (150 miles), and the cost of membership when we moved our scripts to them.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I'd like to have Best Buy price match so I can pad my RewardZone balance.

I'm looking to spend around $250 or so.

A nice feature to look for is MHL enabled TV's. Best Buy has a 32"
NS-32D201NA14 $229.99 Sale: $179.99

You can use the remaining $70 of your budget to purchase a ROKU streaming stick. This way your grandma will be able to operate Netflix without using a second remote control. Older people despise having to use more than one remote control.