Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Who is ready for SUNDDAY???

Woooooo - more snow (maybe a lot) and crap then freaking cold temps only to warm to 43 (supposedly) by next weekend.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

I am dreading it. Even though our neighborhood is brand new, and the power lines are all underground, somewhere between here and the plant are overhead lines that must date back 100 years. We lose power in rain storms, I can't imagine how long we'll be down with snow and extreme cold hitting at once.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed

Our forecast high for Tuesday is only supposed to be 1ºF, with a low of -2. Bur-r-r-r-r!!!! If that does happen, I imagine the local schools will close, citing dangerous conditions for "walkers". There's a windchill advisory for late Sunday through Tuesday afternoon... -25ºF to -40ºF. Supposed to get to 36 degrees here today so maybe that'll clean up the roads before the frigid temps make everything a bona fide skating rink.

I'm guessing we got 5-6 inches of snow from the storm. I cleaned the driveways twice, but the second time was more to clean up the edges from the drifting.

I'm a little surprised at the city's snowplowing this time, though. They usually get the streets cleared right down to the pavement... looking out right now, all the loose stuff has been cleared, but there's still a layer of "hard-pack" on all but the main roads through town. It also appears that they've forgone the use of any melting/de-icing agent on the side streets. No cinders or anything else. Even the intersections are still "slicker than snot". That's really unusual for this little burg. Usually they get the intersections cleared right away, with just patches of "hard-pack" here and there on straight sections. I had to go out last night for a few things, and the traction control and ABS on the car were working overtime... and I was just crawling along.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

We have the same thing here. At first I thought the snow crews just didn't get to work on time after the holiday, but it turns out only a fraction of the plows run until we get to 6". (we topped out at 5" I think)

The current prediction is 6-10" of snow falling here Sunday, with a high on Monday of -11, low of -14, high winds, and a resulting wind chill between -30 and -40. People are freaking out, store shelves have been cleaned out of bread and water. I saw an old lady get cussed out for not scanning items fast enough at the self checkout. Reminds me of the 2004 hurricane season in Florida.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to CylonRed

North west of me they are supposed to get 6-10 inches tomorrow. We are supposed to get 2-6 but all depends on where the lines are for the rain and snow. Tuesday we are going to have lows of -17 with windchills in the range of -30 to -40. Yea - going to love going to work early next week.

The last bit of snow we has - the city did not pretreat the roads - don't really know why as they usually do. On Thursday morning got surprised by the early snow (I was expecting it later in the day) - it was snow over ice (the snow that melted first then froze). The ice was very pockmarked when they finally put the salt down. Yesterday afternoon most of the streets were dry but the back roads - our street is still a sheet of packed snow/ice. I will say the snow tires were fantastic on the car - I have not white knuckled the drive yet this year.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to CylonRed

NOAA.gov is your friend.

I think the Midwest down to where SoIL begins is in the same boat. Snow or rain today. I'm hoping for snow and not iced covered power lines. Bitterly cold Sun -Tue with a total of 6 or more inches of snow. More snow possible on Thursday.

This reminds me of the cold, wet winters of 60 years ago. Right now its 29F outside, but forecast to drop to -14F. How special.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

NOAA is good for general forecasts - but I have found one of the better local ones do a bit better with more localized forecasting.

My ILs still believe we are going to get 12 inches of snow.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Our local forecast of accumulation.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to CylonRed

This is probably correct where you live. Where I live I cannot get a true local forecast. I look at the area the farthest north and the farthest south as they are both 50 miles from me. I aim for the middle. We will probably get some of it, but perhaps not the 8" predicted and it may not be quite as cold. I'm in the middle of bluffs, tall hills, and heavy forests. Sometimes it is a bonus and sometimes not. For instance today the temp reached 37F and a nearly 10pm it is only 27F. I'm still hopeful and still mad we didn't get the white holidays I wished for. It will probably snow for Easter.

Button up and put on your jammies. It's gonna get a little colder and little whiter before it is over.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

This is a mess. Local area forecast is 1-3 (I am between Xenia and Dayton). WHIO is calling for 6-8 inches max for the entire Miami Valley I believe.
--
Brian

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

The more snow, the better it is, IMO. Granted I can stay in the house all day.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

The better - rather than freezing rain or rain that will freeze?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

As long as power remains intact, I say bring it. But then again, Ohio is lacking a "no tree limb on utility lines" law, so there'd be lots of lines down.
There are a lot of over grown lines in my area. I dunno why the utilities allow the home owners to plant trees that grow so tall near or around the lines.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

I checked the temps at my feet in my PC room - 59 degrees about an hour ago or so.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Now it's -2 here. The weather guy showed a map of Alaska and chuckled over how Cleveland is colder then most places in Alaska today. I think Borrow Alaska was at -4.

But still less then 2 inches of snow, and most of that is getting blown around.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.